Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Great Truck
By kbchevy02

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

this truck has a great motor. gets up and goes with very little effort. runs all over my dads 06 F-150. looks great and runs great.

Favorite Features

Motor motor motor! styling and the roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

seat are a little hard but other than that great truck.

7 year review
By Tim

Bought this truck new in 3-02. It's had power windows replaced and idles a little rough for about two minutes on mornings when the temp is below 35-- doesn't happen too often in Baton Rouge. It now has 100,000 miles on it and was given to my 16 year old son in 5-08. I'm frankly surprised at how reliable it's been. Mechanics have told me that 200,000 miles of service is attainable with no major engine or tranny work on Chevy and Ford pickups. Can't explain this, but mpg improved from 13.5 city when new to 16.5 today.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, performance, exterior body integrity, and (surprisingly) fuel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

Make a hybrid available at all levels. 20 mpg overall beats 16. Interior quality could be better, but that was addressed with the 2007 Chevy redesign of full size trucks and SUVs.

208K and Keeps on going
By TC

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought from surveying company with 205K. Truck plowed through mud and snow till I got it. Runs perfect. Shifts like it should and engine, tranny and rear are all original. Everything works and nothing squeaks. Great truck, nothing fancy - manual windows and locks and bench seats but its comfortable, quiet for a truck and goes great in mud and snow. Company I bought from routinely runs 6-8 of these all to 200K plus and they love 'em.

Loved it until the transmission failed
By Sherwood

I bought my Silverado new in 2002 after owning a 2000 Silverado for a couple of years. I liked the fourth door (my 2000 had 3 doors) and I wanted the the 3.73 locking rear end. I also loved the color, dark carmine red. I have taken really great care of this truck, serviced regularly, synthetic oil changes every 3500 to 4000 miles. I never towed anything even though I bought it with the towing package (just in case). Rarely more than a few hundred pounds. It is my daily driver. At just under 63000 miles it burned up the transmission and put me out around $3000. I feel cheated on and not sure if I can trust it not to cheat on me again even though it really runs great. I am so disapointed.

Favorite Features

Smooth running 5.3L engine really gets up and moves.

Suggested Improvements

Upholstery is a little cheap. I had to fix the rear side windows with some foam insulation strips to stop the wind noise. One of the rear door rattles unless I keep it lubed and slam it shut. I wish the rear seats folded down flat and had more storage room underneath.

I don't want a new truck
By chevyman

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I got 95000 and all I have had 2 do is oil changes and 2 20 amp fuses in this truck and that is it! Me and my friend both have dune buggies, and I passed his V10 Ford going up a large grade. I love Chevy's return of the 5.3 327 motor and it is here to stay!

Favorite Features

5.3 327 powerhouse

Suggested Improvements

Poor paint quality on dash