2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Nice Truck!
By Nice Truck on 06/04/08 07:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my truck back in Sep 07 with 46,000 miles. I put over 1,000 miles on it the first 2 days I had it. I have the 4.8L V8 and it gets decent fuel efficency for a truck. I recently purchased a 05 Titan SE that blows this Silverado away with torque and power. I still think the Chevy is more comfortable and a nicer ride on trips, but lacks engine power and torque compared to a Titan.

The Truck I'd Always Wanted
By Skip on 01/19/08 07:34 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had always loved short box extended cab Chevys. Upon seeing the redesign for '03 I had to run out and pick up an '02 (don't care for the Batmobile nose). Has simply been the best truck I've ever owned. The 5.3L has excellent power and the cab is quiet and comfortable. Sensible driving returns about 16-17mpg in town and can get 20mpg highway if I keep my foot out of it, which can be difficult since its a lot of fun to jump on, occasionally.

Reliable??? your kidding right?
By Anton on 11/14/07 12:39 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 2WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Here are my thoughts. I have nearly 67k on my 5.3. the "leather interior" is a complete joke. first of all, the seats are leather, but the arm rests are not. have had to replace the driverside once and it needs to be replaced again because the material is cracked again. my best guess is they replaced with with a vinyl instead of leather because it was cheaper. $250+ labor if i want it fixed again. also, the dash. i know a few otehr people here have said it looked cheap. how right you are. the orignal color of the dash is black plastic, that is painted to match the interior of your truck. i know this because the pain stated peeling off resulting in $200 worth of repair work.

Excellent truck
By mk on 04/26/07 20:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck with a lot of highway miles, still runs like a champ. Had a Ford Ranger 4.0 liter engine that drank gas, this truck with a 5.3 L V-8 gets better gas mileage and will absolutely run like a scared dog up the mountains. Plenty of power to spare, comfortable, and an excellent value. Never had a full size truck, but Chevy makes me proud to own this truck. Classic looks that won't run out in the next few years, but I will own it a lot longer. I am just not interested in a new truck when my old truck runs like this and looks good.

Good for what I use it for!
By Brad on 01/15/07 13:11 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Just rolled 100K the other week. Original everything. No complaints. Get about 14-15mpg with construction work in subdivisions and driving backwards 1/2 the time there. Not in a hurry to get a new Chevy, same interiorI Thought the plastic dash looked 'cheap' on Chevy. No way on the Dodge, and everyone has Fords. Looking for a 3/4 ton and I test drove all three at the same time. I will definitely be going with the Duramax, and Chevy's Smoooth HD ride. This pulls the 16' low-boy when needed, and gets me from A-to-B. nothing fancy. Hey, that's why I got it. Overall, It's good, just wish this truck would've had limited-slip.

Not bad for a truck poor in quality
By smokey on 11/21/06 14:11 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Plastic, plastic, plastic. Have a quarter mile dirt drive not always in great shape. We try to drive over any bumps and lumps slow. Over $3000 worth of front end work needed just after the 3 year warranty ran out. Has needed two major tune ups both costing over $400 a pop. Has operated well in snow. Happy with 4 wheel. Pull a two place horse trailer seldomly. Even with the bigger engine, truck is a bit under powered for towing under its own ratings. Would not purchase again.

excellent
By kevin on 10/27/06 12:22 PM (PDT)

I purchased the vehicle in 2004 with 15,000 miles from original owner. I have had no problems with this vehicle. This vehicle is our first choice to use on long trips because of its comfortable ride. It's more like drive a luxury vehicle than what you typical expect from a truck ride.

It's a Chevy and I love it!
By Paul on 10/24/06 21:01 PM (PDT)

Good ride on long trips, very comfortable. Set the cruise control and sail away! The only thing missing is "auto-pilot". Takes hills great. Lumbar support was a very good idea!

Last chevy
By Dave on 10/10/06 20:37 PM (PDT)

This truck was trouble free until the transmission gave out. Traded it in three days later, new tranny and all since I refuse to own a vehicle that requires major work with only 51,000 easy miles. I also found the handling kind of loose although that may be typical of this large a vehicle. Otherwise the truck did well.

Superior to others
By chevykid on 06/26/06 19:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Always wanted a black Chevy 4x4, finally got it. I love this truck. It rides great, pulls everything I ask it to, and has a ton of room. The Chevy engines are superior to the Ford and Dodge, and Toyota isn't even an option. I've got 68,000 miles and have never put a dime into it, other than routine maintenance.