2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Happy to own, sad to let it go
By Bowtie for Life on 03/13/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck. The only reason I am getting rid of it is to get a 2008 Chevy Extended cab (growing family). If you like a quick powerful truck, this has all you need. 5.3L. It is comfortable and fun to drive. fuel is about 16 mpg. i have ridden in all models and to me (comparing same year models) there is no comparison, this truck is heads and shoulders above the rest. whether you are brand loyal or not...you will buy this truck if you drive it.

Average Price, Average Quality
By nmgraduate on 02/11/07 13:56 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Over the past few years the only problem that I have experienced was with the cd player not reading discs. The Silverado is a dependable vehicle I would recommend.

Chevy continues to make me proud.
By jeffdog9000 on 10/02/06 21:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

After about 5 weeks I took this baby for a 1500 mi. trip. Then a few months later I hooked a heavy double axle horse trailer loaded with a refrigerator and entire churchful of people's belongings and hauled them on my bumper hitch and pulled them with my Vortec-V6 on a 600 miles round trip. I drove 80 mph with the max AC blowing full blast down the interstate. Other than oil changes every 7k miles or so I have not had to do anything to this truck. At 95,000 miles I swear the brakes or belt would need replaced, but it keeps on keep'n on. Not to mention I feel completly safe in my truck!

My Silverado
By mike mullins on 07/09/06 20:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

110% do it all truck no matter weather or conditions, small load or large, with no worries. All around truck. Comfort. Hard worker. If you want a gentle beast, why would anyone throw away their money on any other?

Good work truck
By john napierala on 08/31/05 10:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good work truck with fuel economy as stated on the dealer invoice. The 4800 engine has very good acceleration for a truck. The transmission shifts smooth and the transmission tow / haul selection mode is a good feature. The interior has cab noise that seems a little loud. Ride and handling is good loaded or unloaded. First complaint is the cab mounting bolts to the frame were loose and the dealer had to re-torque them. Second complaint is the anti lock brakes activate at speeds below five mph and the brakes then do not work at all. There is now a recall for this problem as stated by the NHTSA.

Best Buy Pickup
By shotgunbill on 02/12/05 22:41 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is a smooth riding, but capable work truck. I have hauled firewood to building materials and everything in between. It beats any other pickup in its class for fuel mileage, yet has enough power to get things done. I think GM's quality has improved a lot over the last ten years. I love the layout of the cab, and the special features. The 4.3 V6 has decent power- low end torque, cruises at the high teens of rpm at 65 mph. It handles well and brakes good. When I trade in my SUV I plan on buying a Tahoe, I hope before they restyle it. While I like the current Chevy over Ford or Dodge , I like the style of the 2002s better.

Nice truck but watch for flaws
By rumboogie on 10/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have the 4.8L version of the Silverado. This model suits my needs just fine since I don't tow or haul on a regular basis. I currently have about 39K miles as of 10/04. The interior of the truck is nicely put together. The seats are comfortable and there is plenty of leg and head room. The stock Goodyear Wrangler STs are sub-par to say the least. They were bald at 33K miles. I have had no major issues with the truck other than a constant "ticking" noise which started at approximately 20K miles. I was told by GM and my dealership that it is a common characteristic of their new breed of engines and that there is no harm to the engine itself. I'm not so sure of that. . .

Safety Hazard
By DH on 04/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

My truck is just ok. Nothing spectacular. However, the most serious problem with this vehicle is that there is an air-conditioner solid tube that is routed directly over the distributer, cap and rotor. Every six to ten months, the continuous water dripping onto the distributer corrodes the internal electronics and the vehicle is subject to unexpected stalling without the possibility of restarting. This vehicle is very dangerous, yet Chevrolet refuses to admit this design flaw to date. I have a lemon law case file in progress and notifying local news sources in an effort to save other people from this neglegence.

Love this Z-71
By Content on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Chevy/GMC truck since 1997, but my first 4WD. I have had great luck with this one. NO problems at all. These trucks continue to impress me. The only ting that I think could have been improved is the grill design and they took care of that starting with the 2003 models. Great truck.

A great truck
By JBN on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Very happy with this truck. Very quiet and great ride. Minor problem with front suspension fixed under warranty. Not happy with factory Firestone tires.