Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

'02 Silverado
By My green Chevy

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My Silverado has been what I expected from it. It's quiet, runs well and rides well. I have not done any heavy hauling and it has not been used for towing. It has handled the heaviest loads of stones with ease. Power is a little lacking compared to others of the day. Like everyone says, interior is a joke but it has held up OK. I do like the leg room in the back. I wanted a Tundra at the time but the rear was way too cramped. MPG is OK for a truck but needs to be much better if GM wants to survive. Truck looks SO MUCH nicer than every model since 2002. GM designers need to be canned. They are really into UGLY vehicles across their entire product line.

Favorite Features

Nice, quiet, controlled ride. Last year with good exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Interior, stereo, original tires.

Great Truck
By kbchevy02

this truck has a great motor. gets up and goes with very little effort. runs all over my dads 06 F-150. looks great and runs great.

Favorite Features

Motor motor motor! styling and the roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

seat are a little hard but other than that great truck.

7 year review
By Tim

Bought this truck new in 3-02. It's had power windows replaced and idles a little rough for about two minutes on mornings when the temp is below 35-- doesn't happen too often in Baton Rouge. It now has 100,000 miles on it and was given to my 16 year old son in 5-08. I'm frankly surprised at how reliable it's been. Mechanics have told me that 200,000 miles of service is attainable with no major engine or tranny work on Chevy and Ford pickups. Can't explain this, but mpg improved from 13.5 city when new to 16.5 today.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, performance, exterior body integrity, and (surprisingly) fuel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

Make a hybrid available at all levels. 20 mpg overall beats 16. Interior quality could be better, but that was addressed with the 2007 Chevy redesign of full size trucks and SUVs.

Loved it until the transmission failed
By Sherwood

I bought my Silverado new in 2002 after owning a 2000 Silverado for a couple of years. I liked the fourth door (my 2000 had 3 doors) and I wanted the the 3.73 locking rear end. I also loved the color, dark carmine red. I have taken really great care of this truck, serviced regularly, synthetic oil changes every 3500 to 4000 miles. I never towed anything even though I bought it with the towing package (just in case). Rarely more than a few hundred pounds. It is my daily driver. At just under 63000 miles it burned up the transmission and put me out around $3000. I feel cheated on and not sure if I can trust it not to cheat on me again even though it really runs great. I am so disapointed.

Favorite Features

Smooth running 5.3L engine really gets up and moves.

Suggested Improvements

Upholstery is a little cheap. I had to fix the rear side windows with some foam insulation strips to stop the wind noise. One of the rear door rattles unless I keep it lubed and slam it shut. I wish the rear seats folded down flat and had more storage room underneath.

Nice Truck!
By Nice Truck

I bought my truck back in Sep 07 with 46,000 miles. I put over 1,000 miles on it the first 2 days I had it. I have the 4.8L V8 and it gets decent fuel efficency for a truck. I recently purchased a 05 Titan SE that blows this Silverado away with torque and power. I still think the Chevy is more comfortable and a nicer ride on trips, but lacks engine power and torque compared to a Titan.

Favorite Features

I like the seat comfort, build of the truck, (last year with rounded body style) and I love the tool box and grille guard, running bars and ride stance!

Suggested Improvements

I would like to have purchased more options but that's what I get for purchasing a LS instead of LT.