2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
'02 Silverado
By My green Chevy on 07/11/09 12:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My Silverado has been what I expected from it. It's quiet, runs well and rides well. I have not done any heavy hauling and it has not been used for towing. It has handled the heaviest loads of stones with ease. Power is a little lacking compared to others of the day. Like everyone says, interior is a joke but it has held up OK. I do like the leg room in the back. I wanted a Tundra at the time but the rear was way too cramped. MPG is OK for a truck but needs to be much better if GM wants to survive. Truck looks SO MUCH nicer than every model since 2002. GM designers need to be canned. They are really into UGLY vehicles across their entire product line.

Great Truck
By kbchevy02 on 04/23/09 18:55 PM (PDT)

this truck has a great motor. gets up and goes with very little effort. runs all over my dads 06 F-150. looks great and runs great.

7 year review
By Tim on 04/10/09 15:58 PM (PDT)

Bought this truck new in 3-02. It's had power windows replaced and idles a little rough for about two minutes on mornings when the temp is below 35-- doesn't happen too often in Baton Rouge. It now has 100,000 miles on it and was given to my 16 year old son in 5-08. I'm frankly surprised at how reliable it's been. Mechanics have told me that 200,000 miles of service is attainable with no major engine or tranny work on Chevy and Ford pickups. Can't explain this, but mpg improved from 13.5 city when new to 16.5 today.

Loved it until the transmission failed
By Sherwood on 12/10/08 22:43 PM (PST)

I bought my Silverado new in 2002 after owning a 2000 Silverado for a couple of years. I liked the fourth door (my 2000 had 3 doors) and I wanted the the 3.73 locking rear end. I also loved the color, dark carmine red. I have taken really great care of this truck, serviced regularly, synthetic oil changes every 3500 to 4000 miles. I never towed anything even though I bought it with the towing package (just in case). Rarely more than a few hundred pounds. It is my daily driver. At just under 63000 miles it burned up the transmission and put me out around $3000. I feel cheated on and not sure if I can trust it not to cheat on me again even though it really runs great. I am so disapointed.

Nice Truck!
By Nice Truck on 06/04/08 07:18 AM (PDT)

I bought my truck back in Sep 07 with 46,000 miles. I put over 1,000 miles on it the first 2 days I had it. I have the 4.8L V8 and it gets decent fuel efficency for a truck. I recently purchased a 05 Titan SE that blows this Silverado away with torque and power. I still think the Chevy is more comfortable and a nicer ride on trips, but lacks engine power and torque compared to a Titan.

excellent
By kevin on 10/27/06 12:22 PM (PDT)

I purchased the vehicle in 2004 with 15,000 miles from original owner. I have had no problems with this vehicle. This vehicle is our first choice to use on long trips because of its comfortable ride. It's more like drive a luxury vehicle than what you typical expect from a truck ride.

It's a Chevy and I love it!
By Paul on 10/24/06 21:01 PM (PDT)

Good ride on long trips, very comfortable. Set the cruise control and sail away! The only thing missing is "auto-pilot". Takes hills great. Lumbar support was a very good idea!

Lifelong Chevy owner - may change
By Kevin on 05/08/06 13:30 PM (PDT)

Average vehicle to drive. 54,000 replaced air conditioning, power window motor. 74,000 rebuilt the transmission, 107,000 rebuilt the transmission. Don't flush the transmission, drop the pan. Only had flushed twice, once at dealer, once at ASE certified. Needed a new tranny within 2 days - both times. Get the 5.3, not 4.8 - no gas savings there. A very disappointed lifelong Chevy owner. I've got a 94 Chevy 4.3L with 300K that runs better than this one.

Love it!
By Kip on 04/06/06 10:31 AM (PDT)

I actually bought this truck used but was the first owner. The dealership used it for parts deliveries so it already had 56000 miles on it in 2002. I test drove several other used trucks with a lot less mileage but they felt ragged out. Before I got off the lot I knew I was going to buy this one. It was very smooth, quiet, did not have one rattle and felt as if it had 0 miles on it. This is the longest I have ever owned a vehicle because I usally get the the "itch" after 1.5 years. Not with this one. It has nearly 130000 miles on it and after some new tires and shocks, it feels brand new again. Still no rattles. Still gets 18-22 mpg on the highway.

Like My Chevy
By Ken on 03/07/06 14:56 PM (PST)

Truck has run well since purchase. Only problem was weak window motors that were replaced after two years. Basic maintenance and it runs just fine. Piston slap is annoying in extremely cold temperatures until it warms up, but that normally goes away after 30 seconds.