Simply Outstanding - 2001 Z71 Stepside
By john77084 on
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)
I bought my 2001 in 2006 because I really wanted a stepside. I found this Z71 4X4 and pulled the trigger. It had 89,000 on the odometer. Now it has 140,000. I've driven it hard and it keeps coming back for more. One of the first things I added to it was a Flowmaster muffler with chrome tips. I get a thrill every time I fire it up.
Favorite Features
It has almost unstoppable offroad ability. I say almost because I buried it good on a muddy/sandy piece of beach. The interior has held up well considering the abuse. The console is finally beginning to creak a little because I lean on it all the time. Finally, this truck is very easy to work on at home. I have marginal mechanical skills and have replaced a power window motor, AC belt, and coolant sensor. Oh, almost forgot about the looks! I'm complimented on it all the time. It's just a tough looking ride.
Suggested Improvements
The ride is definitely rough. This is a regular cab, short stepside bed. I've done a hefty upgrade to the stereo system. Of course this truck is 10 years old and the new models are probably all different, but Chevy should stick with durable interior materials, user-friendly design for easy repair, and focus on proven, reliable build quality like mine.
By monie57
on 09/19/14 11:45 AM (PDT)

I too have a Chevy Silverado 1500 Sport Side w/4.8 Vortex engine & FlowMasters. I have about 120,000 miles on my truck. Purchased in 2004 and had only minor repairs done until recently. I have a vibration in the vehicle that no mechanic can seem to find the cause of. I've put about $2500.00 in it trying to fix the problem but nothing is working. I'm down to having the drive shaft balanced. This is the last option we are able to come up with! Have you heard of anyone having this problem? You can feel it in the truck but not in the steering wheel. Only vibrates from about 40 mph to a little over 60mph. After that, it mellows out some! Any one have any ideas?