2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Disapointment
By billyuma on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission, with "Tow Haul" failed at 18000 miles and had to be replaced with a new one. Motor oil consumption was high due to a defective PCV valve.

Great Truck
By Mrmcgee on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is great it is dependable, fun to drive and very roomy. I would recomend it to anyone!

Love My Chevy
By Tigger on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 1996 chevrolet Extended cab and I loved it! We traded it in in 2001 February for a 2001 Dodge Durango! Boy what a mistake that was! I hated the Durango! I loved the room, but the insurance, the gas mileage and the fact that from June until August it was in the shop for A/C repairs we decided that we should go back to Chevy! We would have never gotten rid of the 96, except we needed the 4 doors! Wow What a trip! I love the 01 truck! Could not be happier!

Work, Haul, Hunt, Camp, Play!
By CabinFever on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I drive 30 miles in hilly country to work, then haul dirt, rock, firewood or ATV on the weekends and this truck is always ready to go. I've hauled 2,000 lbs. of topsoil, well-beyond the truck's capacity, up the mountains to home and the engine hardly worked. I just clocked 30k miles and there's no rattles, no squeaks. My mom-in-law was very surprised at the ride quality both on road on on our mile of dirt road to our house when she was visiting. This truck has done it all for me and it's only asked for good, regular oil changes and it's always gotten 17.5 mpg no matter what I do. I'm very very happy with this truck.

# 1 In My Book
By John's Silveraldo on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2000 silveraldo extended cab sportside new. I have had no problems out of it. I think it is wonderful. I can not go anywhere, without someone telling me how nice it is, plus so many have offered to buy it from me. It is not for sale...lol I have the 4.8 engine, and it truely has the power. The cab room is amazing, and I love the 4 doors. I have pictures of my 2wd in snow up to the top of the wheel whales, yet I have never had it stuck. I have been able tp go, when I seen others stuck. That makes it the right truck for me. It is dependable, yet it is sleek in design, and is very durable.

So Far So Good
By WillH on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

With almost a year passed the chevy has not had one single problem. Reading some of the other reviews I'm either lucky or they were unlucky. The only problem is that the sheet metal seems very thin, i've gotten lots of dents from things that should not have left a mark.

lots of breakdowns
By formerchevydriver on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I purchased this vehilce last march and by the time it had 39,000 miles on it the rearend had gone out, the serpentine pully had gone bad, the front shocks were leaking and it had an airleak in the dash somewheres from the date of purchase. All of these miles on this truck were highway miles with regular maitnance done on it. I was very disappointed in the quality of the vehicle.

1st To 2nd Gear BUcking Transmission
By Florida Nick Nack on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck would shift with a series of distinct bumps, as many as three, on the automatic shift from 1st to 2nd gear. The dealer could not fix the problem so I went through the Florida Lemon Law process. The final arbitration decision was that the shifting problem had no "significant safety of monetary impact on the vehicle" therefore my request for replacement was "DENIED". Chevy, with the Arbitrators concurance, said that the bumping shift was a normal feature for this vehicle. BUYER BEWARE!

Ho-Hum
By Murph on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB w/out OnStar (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my 2001 for about 1.5 years. The looks of the truck are great but it could use refinement in the interior (a lot of cheap plastic next to the leather). I've had it serviced twice for drivetrain noise during start and stops. They ended up replacing the rear leaf springs and the yoke on the rear-end. It is better but I think the problem is coming back. There are also a lot of little annoying noises and squeeks in the interior, especially when it gets cold. The 5.3L is great but it lacks the git up that I would expect from this engine. Perhaps its the 3.73 gear. I would expect that for the price of the truck that Chevy would take care of the little annoyances.

GREAT TRUCK
By SKYBOHOBO on 02/27/02 18:19 PM (PST)

THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST COMFORTABLE TRUCK I HAVE EVER HAD....AND I HAVE HAD MANY......USED TO BE A FORD MAN....MAYBE I WAS MISSING SOMETHING ALL THESE YEARS.....I WILL DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF OF THIS ONE!!