Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Still a Champ
By DuckHunter

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB w/out OnStar (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck from a family member. It was better than new then, and is pretty close now. I'm amazed at the power and handling that this truck has when compared to its size. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good used truck.

Seats are extremely comfortable. Good power, good handling. Definitely the appearance. Heated power memory seats..

Obviously fuel economy, most of the issues I have with it were addressed in 2003, even though my truck is better looking than the '03-'06 models.

Good Truck
By batman563031

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is the most powerful truck I've ever owned! Chassis is also the stiffest as well. Much better than my '03 F150 which I got rid of after 7 months for the '01 Chev. I've had problems with the A/C, got those fixed, also the annoying cold start knock, quiets down after warming up (recommend full-synthetic oil to quiet down). Tie rods and steering system needed fixing at 70,000 miles (very expensive without warranty).

Gobbs of power! Excellent fuel economy (approx. 18 mpg) Great handling and ride!

Brakes, cold start knock, better components for steering and front end! Idles to low around 400 rpms increase to 650 for smoothe idle.

100K No Problem
By ussery

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've been extremely pleased with the performance of the vehicle, I chose the 5.3 Vortec to handle the 4WD and tow/haul demands. Most of the mileage is due to a 32 mile one way commute. It has seen its share of mountain logging roads, mud bogs, and desert sands. The transfer into 4WD Low is rough, even in the best of circumstance. (Rolling under 5 mph.) Better get into it before you need it. Gas mileage is still at 18~19 MPG, pulled the plugs at 65K, flushed all drivetrain at 95K, and the coolant is next on the list.The velour interior is showing wear and fading-New Mexico sun and heat will eat fabric. The plastics are holding up well, wish the speakers weren't crackling. Heart Beat USA!

Handling- the few times I've been out of control the truck made the difference. Daily commute is a pleasure whether going from 30 - 80; or 80 - 0. The cab is fairly quiet, and accessories are within reach. Front seat (Split bench) is still comfortable for short or long runs,lumbar support excellant

Stock rain gutters for the windows so I don't have to go out and buy them. I see there is finally a cargo box made out of something besides steel; it'll be on my next Silverado. Keep the headlights off till I turn them on; I know when it's dark outside. I believe the transfer to 4WD Low is fixed.

Great Truck
By 8697hopper

I am very happy with the truck. Never a single problem yet. My regret is not getting enough use of it due to job change that added 80 miles a day to my commute, after owning truck 3 years. Got 18 mpg on trip to FL in summer, fully loaded. Gets 17 mpg if take on 95 mile round trip to work. These are great numbers for ext cab 4wd with 270 HP V8. Rides as smooth and quiet as a luxury car.

Power yet economy of 4.8 L engine, comfort, value, vehicle can go anywhere and do anything.

Knew when buying it was mostly a commuter for me so I wanted a lower than 3.83 rear axle ratio, but it wasn't offered. I don't need 5500 lbs towing capacity

Good Truck
By Texas Rob

I just traded mine off after 180k. The only repair I made during the four years was a front spindle. Other than that the truck performed well.

Ride quality and gas mileage

Different design on the front spindles, a better seal would be great.