Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Bad truck, junk at best, lemon
By HerbINMN

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We sold our 2001 Z71 after just 8000 miles. After having it in the shop every two weeks for 8 months, we decided to unload it. We took a $10,000 loss on it, but the F150 we then reluctantly bought turned out to be our best vehicle ever. Gas mileage was also poor at 12/14 and it didn't have much power for a V8.

Nice sized box. Sat lower than other 4x4 pickups.

A totally new pickup.

By Johnny

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Extremely durable and powerful engine. For the time I have had the vehicle I have enjoyed driving it, comfortable and spacious even for the long road trip. Gas mileage isn't great I get around 15 in town and 18 to 20 on the highway.

The spacious cab is by far the best feature of the Silverado. The powerful engine is a plus.

Everyone says the build quality of this truck is not great, but I havent had one problem with the body quality or the truck performance. The only suggestion I would make is to increase gas mileage.

Great Truck, but
By Doculator

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great truck. Very high build quality and still drives like a new truck. Usual problem with the parking brake dying early and at about 70000 miles echoes of the 'piston slap' problem. New brakes cost $1300 at 120000 miles partially due to problems complicated by the parking brake issue. At 125000 I've got a minor but annoying rear main seal leak.

Great looking truck. Comfortable and fun to drive. Plenty of power.

GM should fix the 'piston slap' issue. They claim there's nothing wrong but it's annoying.

I would buy again.
By william

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The truck has been very good. I only have replaced the battery and rear brakes. So far the motor 5.3 has plenty of power. I have added a cold air box, mass air flow sensor and a cat back exhaust. This has given it and me a real kick. Towing is of little effort. But I too have been getting those cold start knocks (lifters).the only real complaint is the brakes. Plain and simple, they stink. Please go back to rear drums. The Firestone tires were horrible. Very poor in wet conditions.

Real strong motor. Very nice riding. Better then most cars I have been in.

The brakes. The disks are too small. Heat fades to fast. Really need too go back to rear drums. The anti lock feature is dangerous.the arm rest on bucket seats are to low.need to lean down to use them.lifter rap.to low to the ground for a 4x4 truck.

Chevy Trucks, the Best
By BJK

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS 2WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I used to be a used car salesman, and the V-8 Chevy trucks were always the hardest to trade for, and most popular to sell. The Chevy truck has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. I just looked at the brake pads, and they are only half worn. The only maintenance I have done is tires, and batttery change, and oil changes.

Power, gas mileage. Cold, cold air. No rattles. Fit and finish of the solid frame body.

More interior room for the single cab.