Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Bad truck, junk at best, lemon
By HerbINMN

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We sold our 2001 Z71 after just 8000 miles. After having it in the shop every two weeks for 8 months, we decided to unload it. We took a $10,000 loss on it, but the F150 we then reluctantly bought turned out to be our best vehicle ever. Gas mileage was also poor at 12/14 and it didn't have much power for a V8.

Favorite Features

Nice sized box. Sat lower than other 4x4 pickups.

Suggested Improvements

A totally new pickup.

Great Truck
By Josh

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck in 2006 with 59,000 miles on it and now it has 108,000 and it runs like it did when I bought it. I now have flowmaster exhaust on it and that gave me noticeably better gas mileage. The best mileage I have gotten is 22 doing 70. I get about 13 to 15 in town. Does great on the highway and handles like car. It has plenty of power! It has always started in the cold, even 20 below zero in Montana where I live. Does well in every road condition you drive on. Very smooth suspension as well.

Favorite Features

comfortable seats, folding rear seat, good ac and heater. interior is stylish as well. tow haul mode works great for pulling trailers or heavy loads and it sounds great too.

Suggested Improvements

the only thing i would change would be a little more clearance and they trailer light plug needs to be installed better, but other than that i wouldn't change a thing. great mileage and alot of power. i will continue buying Chevy trucks!

2001 4.8 LS regular Cab short bed 2WD
By sliqnaugahyde

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 2WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Pewter LS Silverado new and have 97,000 original miles on it. It has never been garage kept. I live in NJ and there is not a spot of rust on the truck and the paint still shines. I run it through the car wash 1 to 2 times a month and get the wax treatment that is included. I have only replaced the fuel pump and recently the thermostat besides the norm. I continually get offers for the truck and complements from other pickup owners. The truck has no rattles and runs great. the door speakers have just started buzzing, but I'm sure it's because of age and banging of the doors for 13 years. My only complaint has been tires. I'm on my 3rd set of Bridgestones that are 16/60/ 275's

Favorite Features

I really like the look of the truck and still do. The 4 wheel disc feature is great and the split bench seat is great in the regular cab. The power windows locks and mirrors are a must on pickups and I've never had a problem with any of those options.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the truck had better traction control for the 2WD. I understand the newer silverados are greatly improved in this area

Bought a 2001 in 2013
By sstevek

Bought the truck as-is, needed a few minor repairs that I did myself. Replaced the radiator, ignition cylinder and heater blower motor resistor circuit. All were not very difficult, I'm not a mechanic. I'm very impressed with the way it rides. The 4.8 V8 engine seems great, smooth, quiet and plenty of power. I like the truck doesn't seem as high as Dodge Ram of the same year, makes for easier loading. It sure doesn't feel like it has 177k miles on it. It's for occasional use, based on other reports I've seen the high mileage shouldn't be a concern. I like that the truck is not over-designed, I prefer the styling of this generation over anything else.

Favorite Features

Ride, comfort, utility. Drive train reputtion

Suggested Improvements

Some interior rattles, inferior quality.

Great truck
By GMman64

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this plain jane w/t truck in 2006 with over 100,000 now have 185,000 and still runs strong. only minor issues V6 is underpowered at times but gets the job done if you do light to none hauling and towing. overall pretty good truck.

Favorite Features

Solid Frame, engine

Suggested Improvements

find a way to get more power out of the 4.3 V6 and increase MOG, go back to the pre-07 body style