Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Bad truck, junk at best, lemon
By HerbINMN

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We sold our 2001 Z71 after just 8000 miles. After having it in the shop every two weeks for 8 months, we decided to unload it. We took a $10,000 loss on it, but the F150 we then reluctantly bought turned out to be our best vehicle ever. Gas mileage was also poor at 12/14 and it didn't have much power for a V8.

Nice sized box. Sat lower than other 4x4 pickups.

A totally new pickup.

By Johnny

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Extremely durable and powerful engine. For the time I have had the vehicle I have enjoyed driving it, comfortable and spacious even for the long road trip. Gas mileage isn't great I get around 15 in town and 18 to 20 on the highway.

The spacious cab is by far the best feature of the Silverado. The powerful engine is a plus.

Everyone says the build quality of this truck is not great, but I havent had one problem with the body quality or the truck performance. The only suggestion I would make is to increase gas mileage.

I would buy again.
By william

The truck has been very good. I only have replaced the battery and rear brakes. So far the motor 5.3 has plenty of power. I have added a cold air box, mass air flow sensor and a cat back exhaust. This has given it and me a real kick. Towing is of little effort. But I too have been getting those cold start knocks (lifters).the only real complaint is the brakes. Plain and simple, they stink. Please go back to rear drums. The Firestone tires were horrible. Very poor in wet conditions.

Real strong motor. Very nice riding. Better then most cars I have been in.

The brakes. The disks are too small. Heat fades to fast. Really need too go back to rear drums. The anti lock feature is dangerous.the arm rest on bucket seats are to low.need to lean down to use them.lifter rap.to low to the ground for a 4x4 truck.

Best Vehicle I've ever owned
By dave8697

This truck has been perfect in every way. Unfortunately my commute suddenly got 34 miles longer each way 3 years after getting it. I haven't yet used it enough to have my first problem. I think I have only waxed it once. I expect it to last me 15 more years or 200k miles. I like the new ones styling better but they are always cutting corners as I noticed the chrome is reduced on the front bumpers and the mirrors.

On the fly 2WD to 4WD switching, auto trac, comfort inside, The sound of a 285 HP V8 at 4000 RPM. 17 mpg combined, 19 on a trip, regardless of how loaded up.

Put a 3.42 rear axle option in the 4.8 liter truck for those that want 23-24 mpg and could give up some towing capability in return. Dress up the welds in the door jambs better.

Miss the old '89.
By larry j

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We owned an 89 Chevy pickup and loved it, even at 110k miles, it still ran great. A very tight machine. We made the mistake in assuming Chevy would continue the tradition when we bought the '01. Engine makes a knocking sound from day one that the dealership mechanic "couldn't hear". Makes the sound to this day. Performance is sluggish and you'd figure if you have slow performance, at least the gas mileage would be good. Wrong. 12- 15mpg. I guess we got spoiled with the '89 p/u truck; wish we still had it.

Comfortable ride from the longer wheelbase, but makes tight turns difficult. Tow/haul mode is nice since we trailer a camper occasionally. Nice looking exterior; it isn't my favorite running vehicle, but is still a nice truck to look at. Aftermarket exhaust sounds great.

Hopefully, Chevy would dump the 5.3 liter engine and go back to what they do best.. 350c.i./5.7 liter engine. Don't know why they changed engines like that. EPA requirements?