2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Base Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Sort Reviews by

Good Truck
By batman563031

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is the most powerful truck I've ever owned! Chassis is also the stiffest as well. Much better than my '03 F150 which I got rid of after 7 months for the '01 Chev. I've had problems with the A/C, got those fixed, also the annoying cold start knock, quiets down after warming up (recommend full-synthetic oil to quiet down). Tie rods and steering system needed fixing at 70,000 miles (very expensive without warranty).

Favorite Features

Gobbs of power! Excellent fuel economy (approx. 18 mpg) Great handling and ride!

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, cold start knock, better components for steering and front end! Idles to low around 400 rpms increase to 650 for smoothe idle.

100K No Problem
By ussery

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've been extremely pleased with the performance of the vehicle, I chose the 5.3 Vortec to handle the 4WD and tow/haul demands. Most of the mileage is due to a 32 mile one way commute. It has seen its share of mountain logging roads, mud bogs, and desert sands. The transfer into 4WD Low is rough, even in the best of circumstance. (Rolling under 5 mph.) Better get into it before you need it. Gas mileage is still at 18~19 MPG, pulled the plugs at 65K, flushed all drivetrain at 95K, and the coolant is next on the list.The velour interior is showing wear and fading-New Mexico sun and heat will eat fabric. The plastics are holding up well, wish the speakers weren't crackling. Heart Beat USA!

Favorite Features

Handling- the few times I've been out of control the truck made the difference. Daily commute is a pleasure whether going from 30 - 80; or 80 - 0. The cab is fairly quiet, and accessories are within reach. Front seat (Split bench) is still comfortable for short or long runs,lumbar support excellant

Suggested Improvements

Stock rain gutters for the windows so I don't have to go out and buy them. I see there is finally a cargo box made out of something besides steel; it'll be on my next Silverado. Keep the headlights off till I turn them on; I know when it's dark outside. I believe the transfer to 4WD Low is fixed.

Great Truck
By 8697hopper

I am very happy with the truck. Never a single problem yet. My regret is not getting enough use of it due to job change that added 80 miles a day to my commute, after owning truck 3 years. Got 18 mpg on trip to FL in summer, fully loaded. Gets 17 mpg if take on 95 mile round trip to work. These are great numbers for ext cab 4wd with 270 HP V8. Rides as smooth and quiet as a luxury car.

Favorite Features

Power yet economy of 4.8 L engine, comfort, value, vehicle can go anywhere and do anything.

Suggested Improvements

Knew when buying it was mostly a commuter for me so I wanted a lower than 3.83 rear axle ratio, but it wasn't offered. I don't need 5500 lbs towing capacity

Good Truck
By Texas Rob

I just traded mine off after 180k. The only repair I made during the four years was a front spindle. Other than that the truck performed well.

Favorite Features

Ride quality and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Different design on the front spindles, a better seal would be great.

Tracys Truck
By Tracy

It's an awesome truck. Smooth ride, great power, great looking. Complaints for chevy clearance are numerous but I haven't experienced it yet. The only thing I don't like is the anti-lock breaks. But that goes for any car I've driven that has them. I pull a 5000# boat without problems.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, easy to drive and park. Easy to get kids in and out of extra cab.

Suggested Improvements

Anti Lock breaks

Best Truck i've ever owned!
By James52

Excellent power and great gas mileage!!! Rides like a car but i'm yet to find any load it can't handle!

Favorite Features

I've got the 2 full doors and 2 suicide doors which make this truck as usable as any sedan for loading up my friends and going out! Great backseat room and is the smoothest ride i've ever felt in a full size!

Suggested Improvements

There really isn't anything i'd improve on this truck. The 5.3L V8 has great power yet has gotten me up to 19+ MPG Hwy.

Z-71 best truck to buy
By kdx

My 2001 Chevrolet truck has been the best truck I have ever owned. I live in Kentucky and use my truck on and around my land, it goes great through mud and snow and has yet to fail me. In my opinion the Z-71 package is the best deal.

Favorite Features

Locking diff. A lot of power. Great style

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes. Better fuel economy.

Z71 Silverado 2001
By whofan

This is an almost perfect truck. Comfort, handsome design, and a combined mileage 17.5 MPG. Powerful precise steering, automatic transfer case. Almost perfect. The bad, cold start knock (annoying). Weak intermedate steering shaft (replaced). Known for bad fuel guage sending units (hasn`t happened yet). Nothing's perfect and the good more than offsets the bad. Best truck I ever drove. What`s bad, the bad is silly stuff GM should have got right in the first place.

Favorite Features

Automatic 4x4, Good gas mileage for its segment. Handsome looks until 03. Very powerful, comfortable interior. Rides and drives like a car? (Kind of a dislike) I like the stance of a Dodge better but for the long haul Chevy`s car like ride is more livable.

Suggested Improvements

Steering shaft, cold start knock, windshield wiper motor,fuel guage, hot/cold selecter.

So Far So Good
By Chris

I have'nt had any problems yet knock on wood. I had to replace all 4 brake rotors and pads is all. Good luck to the rest of you.

Favorite Features

The comfort and the handling

Suggested Improvements

The cooling and heating compartment is on the floor in the middle of seat , no foot room for passenger

Great Truck
By Texas Owner

This is my first pickup and it is more comfortable to drive than many cars that I've owned. I have the 1500 LS with the 5.3L V8 and its performance, reliability and gas mileage for a vehicle this size is outstanding. I now have over 105,000 miles and haven't done much more than change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles! I do a lot of hunting and it has never let me down in out-of-the-way places. A great vehicle.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort, performance, and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of the interior could be better.