100K No Problem
By ussery on
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)
I've been extremely pleased with the performance of the vehicle, I chose the 5.3 Vortec to handle the 4WD and tow/haul demands. Most of the mileage is due to a 32 mile one way commute. It has seen its share of mountain logging roads, mud bogs, and desert sands. The transfer into 4WD Low is rough, even in the best of circumstance. (Rolling under 5 mph.) Better get into it before you need it. Gas mileage is still at 18~19 MPG, pulled the plugs at 65K, flushed all drivetrain at 95K, and the coolant is next on the list.The velour interior is showing wear and fading-New Mexico sun and heat will eat fabric. The plastics are holding up well, wish the speakers weren't crackling. Heart Beat USA!
Favorite Features
Handling- the few times I've been out of control the truck made the difference. Daily commute is a pleasure whether going from 30 - 80; or 80 - 0. The cab is fairly quiet, and accessories are within reach. Front seat (Split bench) is still comfortable for short or long runs,lumbar support excellant
Suggested Improvements
Stock rain gutters for the windows so I don't have to go out and buy them. I see there is finally a cargo box made out of something besides steel; it'll be on my next Silverado. Keep the headlights off till I turn them on; I know when it's dark outside. I believe the transfer to 4WD Low is fixed.