Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Best Truck ever
By jjc839

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Owned since new, has 175,000km. Not a single problem ever, only money spent has been on regular maintenance. Has the 4.8 V8 which as a ton of power for this small truck and gets about 12l/100km.

Favorite Features

Power, fun to drive, limted slip rear end, reliable.

Simply Outstanding - 2001 Z71 Stepside
By john77084

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 in 2006 because I really wanted a stepside. I found this Z71 4X4 and pulled the trigger. It had 89,000 on the odometer. Now it has 140,000. I've driven it hard and it keeps coming back for more. One of the first things I added to it was a Flowmaster muffler with chrome tips. I get a thrill every time I fire it up.

Favorite Features

It has almost unstoppable offroad ability. I say almost because I buried it good on a muddy/sandy piece of beach. The interior has held up well considering the abuse. The console is finally beginning to creak a little because I lean on it all the time. Finally, this truck is very easy to work on at home. I have marginal mechanical skills and have replaced a power window motor, AC belt, and coolant sensor. Oh, almost forgot about the looks! I'm complimented on it all the time. It's just a tough looking ride.

Suggested Improvements

The ride is definitely rough. This is a regular cab, short stepside bed. I've done a hefty upgrade to the stereo system. Of course this truck is 10 years old and the new models are probably all different, but Chevy should stick with durable interior materials, user-friendly design for easy repair, and focus on proven, reliable build quality like mine.

Issues with the 2001 Ive had
By Chevy driver

Ive always driven chevy trucks, they always been tanks< I make work and play hard. The 2001 has given me more issues than older models. The first was the fuel pump in the tank, very expensive to fix thru the dealer, 2nd bad knock on cold start up,Power window motor,replaced whole brake system(hard time finding the correct fuel line,didn't match dealer PN,fuel injectors,front end work and just put in a new transmission, I've had a bad vibration which thru process of elimination I think is the driveshaft, by the time Im done I will have a new truck,but I work it hard but not trashing it, for what they cost I expect it to do the work like the older models,I am disappointed in chevy

Favorite Features

Easy to handle,power to pull,quick of the line, deluxe features while a tuff truck, stronger,faster and better looking than my friends Dodges all tricked out,their Fords and Toyotas, Im always pulling them out when they try to follow my stock truck thru the mud/sand.

Suggested Improvements

STRONGER TRANSMISSION,vented light lenses(condensation dampens bulbs and they blow, I drill a whole in the bottom of the lens)

not bad over all
By Johnny

Bought used with 29,000 miles on it and it now has 53,000. During that time I have had to replace the fuel pump and a rear brake caliper. The v6 has been reliable and has decent power for everyday driving, but the fuel mileage is no better than the v8. 4x4 system works fine and has done well in mud and snow. Tire wear, steering, and ride comfort have all been very good. I am satisfied for the most part but if I were going to buy again I would get the v8. I got the v6 because it had a cheaper sticker price, but I'm not saving anything on gas. It uses just as much as v-8 chevy's that I had previously.

Favorite Features

Good looks (like chevy trucks have always had.) ride and comfort are above average. Interior is nice and controls are easy to reach and use.

Suggested Improvements

The fold down console in the center of the seat is nice to have but it needs to be a couple inches taller, and the latch to the storage inside the console doesn't seem very reliable. Fuel mileage/power ratio is very poor compared to the v8.

Great Truck, but
By Doculator

This is a great truck. Very high build quality and still drives like a new truck. Usual problem with the parking brake dying early and at about 70000 miles echoes of the 'piston slap' problem. New brakes cost $1300 at 120000 miles partially due to problems complicated by the parking brake issue. At 125000 I've got a minor but annoying rear main seal leak.

Favorite Features

Great looking truck. Comfortable and fun to drive. Plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

GM should fix the 'piston slap' issue. They claim there's nothing wrong but it's annoying.