Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Most Helpful|
I Love My Chevy Truck
By J&M

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Chevy truck. It is so comfortable for long trips & it gets fantastic gas mileage for a V8. It has lots of leg room & the seats are so plush & comfy. There is plenty of leg room in the back seat too. It is built very well. I have not had any problems with it at all. Good job GM.

Favorite Features

The smooth ride, the big plush comfy seats, cruise, gas mileage, leg room, mirrors, radio, CD player, just everything.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing. It's a great truck.

like a rock
By like a rock

After owning it for 8 yrs and 172000 miles who can argue its reliability. It still gets 18mpg with 4.8 v8. Have not done front brakes but did do back. 4 years ago flipped it at 65mph with family in it, no one even got a scratch. Glad ins decided to fix it. All I do is put gas in it and change the oil. Got 75000 miles out of original tires. Only on 3rd set of tires only been aligned 2 times.

Favorite Features

Reliability, never worry when I get in it. Would drive it cross country today. Very safe and comfortable ride. Cold A/c

Suggested Improvements

Figure something out on the back breaks and bearings in the front hubs. Need to improve tailgate latch, plastic clips do not last.

BEST AMERICAN PICK UP
By supersilveradoz71

Ive had the truck for several years. Ive grown up in a family that has chev Ford and Dodge. By far the chev has the most power, comfort, and reliability ive ever seen. Very smooth running truck, lots of power for the 5.3. No complaints on fuel economy, its a v8 with more hp than competitors that still manages to get better gas mileage. Chevy for life.

Favorite Features

Strong motor and acceleration, comfortable seating front and rear, just an all around solid truck.

Suggested Improvements

Very squeaky center console where I put my arm every time I dtive. It gets very annoying.

100K No Problem
By ussery

I've been extremely pleased with the performance of the vehicle, I chose the 5.3 Vortec to handle the 4WD and tow/haul demands. Most of the mileage is due to a 32 mile one way commute. It has seen its share of mountain logging roads, mud bogs, and desert sands. The transfer into 4WD Low is rough, even in the best of circumstance. (Rolling under 5 mph.) Better get into it before you need it. Gas mileage is still at 18~19 MPG, pulled the plugs at 65K, flushed all drivetrain at 95K, and the coolant is next on the list.The velour interior is showing wear and fading-New Mexico sun and heat will eat fabric. The plastics are holding up well, wish the speakers weren't crackling. Heart Beat USA!

Favorite Features

Handling- the few times I've been out of control the truck made the difference. Daily commute is a pleasure whether going from 30 - 80; or 80 - 0. The cab is fairly quiet, and accessories are within reach. Front seat (Split bench) is still comfortable for short or long runs,lumbar support excellant

Suggested Improvements

Stock rain gutters for the windows so I don't have to go out and buy them. I see there is finally a cargo box made out of something besides steel; it'll be on my next Silverado. Keep the headlights off till I turn them on; I know when it's dark outside. I believe the transfer to 4WD Low is fixed.

Miss the old '89.
By larry j

We owned an 89 Chevy pickup and loved it, even at 110k miles, it still ran great. A very tight machine. We made the mistake in assuming Chevy would continue the tradition when we bought the '01. Engine makes a knocking sound from day one that the dealership mechanic "couldn't hear". Makes the sound to this day. Performance is sluggish and you'd figure if you have slow performance, at least the gas mileage would be good. Wrong. 12- 15mpg. I guess we got spoiled with the '89 p/u truck; wish we still had it.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride from the longer wheelbase, but makes tight turns difficult. Tow/haul mode is nice since we trailer a camper occasionally. Nice looking exterior; it isn't my favorite running vehicle, but is still a nice truck to look at. Aftermarket exhaust sounds great.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully, Chevy would dump the 5.3 liter engine and go back to what they do best.. 350c.i./5.7 liter engine. Don't know why they changed engines like that. EPA requirements?