Used 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

disappointing
By johnmn

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Wish I had this 5.3L in my '95. Too many typical problems: steering knock at low speed turning, steering wheel shake at highway speed, touchy ABS, poor ride on bumps (CD will skip on interstate). My '95 with the 350 and five speed was superior in every way except acceleration. Bought used; GMC dealer refused to acknowledge the problems. (Also had '88 and '92.)

Favorite Features

Acceleration, appearance

Suggested Improvements

Needs improved steering and suspension. Dealers should acknowledge well-known problems.

Reasons to buy from a local dealership..
By kevjalittell

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT 3dr Extended Cab SB

108k miles and only required maint. 2 recalls handled by dealership with a loaner... Then Boys and girls at Ginn rock! 1 deer assasinated by wife late last year and repairs were less then expected. Truck is still sharp, solid and rattle free. Interior comfort good for all day and all nighters. Rear windows whistle if air is on MAX but not enough to annoy or get fixed. I love my truck

Favorite Features

After driving Toyota Tacoma's for 10 years (Also great trucks) I love the room and comfort. 12 and 14 year olds are still comfortable in the back seat...

Nothing Compares
By mebeappy

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my 2000 Silverado new. It is my second truck (1998 1st one). I have 4 boys, with the oldest being 6'5" and another son is 6', 220 lbs. Neither of them could fit in the back seat of the 98, but my 2000 has enough leg room for both to be comfortable in the back. Rides as well or better than a car, and with the PSI rear end, I can go just about anywhere!! I have had minimal problems (ie power window quit) and highway mileage is around 18. I also pull horse trailer, and you don't even know its back there. When I get rid of this one, it will be replaced by another Silverado. Chevy has sold me for life!!

Favorite Features

Ride is best on the market, and its styling still turns heads! Power can't be matched.

Excellent Truck
By zikj

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab SB

Don't make them any better.

Favorite Features

Roomy, peppy, good handling and reliable

Suggested Improvements

4 doors on the extended cab

Not as good as my '92
By joefech

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I think this redesign has it's benefits, (ride, quiteness) but there's too much plastic and loose fitting interior parts. I have what seems to be common problems-- driveshaft yoke likes to bind on takeoff and makes a thumping noise, ABS brakes absolutely suck--if I have one tire loosing traction, it just hums and does not want to stop!!! I almost rear-ended someone because of a very small patch of ice!! Needs more sway control--maybe a rear sway bar-- too rocky in slow speed manuevers.

Favorite Features

I first thought the push button 4 wheel drive was a joke until I really used it--works very well. Rides very well and is comfortable on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Revise ABS maybe to reference two wheels slipping instead of one. Lower your parts prices... $220 for a new yoke when they go bad all the time? Give me a break. My '92 got the same mileage and had a bigger engine... (5.7 vs. 5.3) Look into better efficiency.