Used 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Great Truck!...BUT.......
By Travis

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My truck overall has been a great truck except for a few things:1st the throttle body had to be replaced shortly after purchase(I know 12 others who have experienced this) the fuel gauge dances around all the time because the sending unit is bad (Lots of problems here also) (not recalled and can't pay to fix), I'm in the process of having to fix possibly the carrier bearings on drive shaft because of a roar in the rear end. Steering shaft was recalled to be lubed. Overall I have really enjoyed this truck. I have driven all over the country with it, pulled and hauled trailers and the 5.3 has been great. Fuel mileage is great for the size and power. Confortable and has been very reliable.

Size, comfort, power, gas mileage for a 4x4 is pretty good. Nice body style also.

Fuel sending unit and throttle body should have been recalled due to large # of problems. The front "A"post of cab that is beside window and holds up the roof is way too wide due to plastic and causes a large blind spot when pulling out. Raise front end up and dont slope it down because its a TRUCK!

Good Purchase
By Nick Gibson

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB

This truck has performed great in the 65,000 miles that I have owned it. I have had to replace two things on this truck so far (excluding brakes, filters, etc.). At 36,000 miles, the rear universal joint went out, but this was most likely due to the fact that I drive on the interstate 80% of the time and run over 90mph nearly all the time, just below the cutoff point on the engine. At 72,000 miles the fuel pump went out. This also may be attributed to my habits, as I usually let the fuel light come on and stay on a while before re-fueling. I've been told this is extremely hard on the fuel pump because it sucks in air. Other than that, no problems.

I love the look of this truck. I fell for from the first one I saw of the 99 - 2002 body styles. I also am a big fan of the interior, though it doesn't get great reviews in magazines. This truck also tows like crazy. I have pulled a broken truck with a loaded trailer up severe grades.

The only thing I dislike about my truck is the fuel economy (14mpg!!). The trade-off is a powerful 5.3 litre V8.

Chevy Truck-Built to last!
By Keith

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my truck used as I needed alternate transportation for days when my Harley-Davidson may be a less than intelligent choice. I live in S. Florida and we get plenty of rain, and as they say, when it rains it pours. I have owned my truck for over a year and tire replacement and routine maintenance is all that has been required. I did choose to upgrade the stereo system as I love my tunes. Like my bike, as far as customizing goes all it takes is a vision that fits you and your wallet. I have found that I put more miles on the truck than the bike and I love to ride, but it is a very comfortable in all situations. I could have bought a cheaper truck but I feel you get what you pay for!

Regular cab is large with a bench seat that makes for close contact with your mate. Seats three in comfort and the Vortec 4.3 liter V-6 provides plenty of reliable power. The towing package is nice to have and has handled all my needs. I have found more aftermarket parts one could ever wish for.

I installed the tires that I found as best match at tire rack (internet site) and went with the wider option. I must say "I love my STONES". I installed a cat-back exhaust as well as an air hog. I plan to install a cold air intake system next. The Pioneer Sound System is "XM" ready and sounds great!

Some flaws, but a great truck
By Mike

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it used and have 76k miles on it now. There's a slight rattle in the driver's side door occasionally. Sometimes it has a rough shift from 1st to 2nd, but that's rare. My mechanic said to replace the valve body if it became frequent. Otherwise, it's a great truck. More comfortable than any others I've owned (bucket seats), more power than I really need (5.3L V8) and a great ride for a pick-up. I don't plan on having a car payment for a long time.

Tow/haul transmission. Very reliable. Extended cab very roomy, which was the problem I had with the F-150.

GM fixed the valve body problem in 2003. ABS kicks on when it shouldn't if there's no load. Not a big deal, but it should be fixed. I'm not letting air out of my back tires.

Chevorlet's flawed fuel sending unit
By johny onenut

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

At 37000 miles, 1000 over warranty, the fuel gauge malfunctioned on mine, and every one else's I know who bought between 1999-2002. At 70,000 my brakes wore out. At 160,000 my ABS light has came on and will proably remain on. At 110,000 dash lights started to burn out. But overall, she has been a very reliable ride. She's taken me from sea to shining sea many times, and I dread the day I have to turn her out to pasture. The 325 engine has run very, very well and she'll still getting second gear rubber. What a great engine! 165,000 miles and still no oil burning.

Strong power plant