Used 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

I love my Chevy
By Nick K.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

i bought my Chevy in May '05 with 125,600 miles on it. It now has 140,000 on it. Let me just start by saying that this is an awesome truck, and I get compliments on it all the time. It might not sound like it after you read this, but it is very reliable. One thing I would say needs to be taken care of is the fuel sending unit. It was done at 110,000 and then I had to do it again at 135,000... not cool. The part alone is $400. One day #1 on my A/C fan stopped working, next day, #2 stopped. so it's Off, or 3, which is too much, such a pain. Power steering pump went the same day as fuel pump #2, at 135K.

Favorite Features

Incredible power, 4.8 v8, will light up 33" tires at 35 mph, awesome styling, and great reliablity. people guess it has 50K but it has almost 150K. Truck has held up great.

Suggested Improvements

Fuelsending unit problems, stupid little stuff. mileage could be better, I get 14 around town. but overall I love the truck more every day, and most people will say the same.

Good Truck
By Mike

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had the truck a while now. Happy to report everything works well, even with 82,000 on the odometer. No broken parts, squeaks, or rattles in the interior. Ride is good, and four wheel system on Z-71 is nice. The only problem I've had is a squeak in the rear end on accelearation. I've had it looked at, and it appears to be nothing. Expect marginal mileage from the Z-71. All in all, it is a very good truck, and the last attractive front-end series from GM(as opposed to the new cat eye look).

Favorite Features

Very roomy driver and passenger seat. Controls are easy to reach and in logical placement. Great brakes and engine. Take it all punishment (it was a farm truck).

Suggested Improvements

"Piston slap" is prevalent on these models. Chevrolet does not seem to acknowledge it as a problem. Also, many complain that the front end rides three to four inches lower than the rear. This is also by design.

Good truck
By John

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Excellent in 4x4, like the push button as opposed to floor mount gear. Should come with spray in liner as option. Wish mine had air vents in back seat to force cold and hot air. Rear window defrost should be an option too. Love my truck.

Favorite Features

Front towing hooks. Easy mounting step bars and wire harness for trailer lights and brakes

Suggested Improvements

Cigarette outlets in back seat for portable devices.

Great Truck!...BUT.......
By Travis

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My truck overall has been a great truck except for a few things:1st the throttle body had to be replaced shortly after purchase(I know 12 others who have experienced this) the fuel gauge dances around all the time because the sending unit is bad (Lots of problems here also) (not recalled and can't pay to fix), I'm in the process of having to fix possibly the carrier bearings on drive shaft because of a roar in the rear end. Steering shaft was recalled to be lubed. Overall I have really enjoyed this truck. I have driven all over the country with it, pulled and hauled trailers and the 5.3 has been great. Fuel mileage is great for the size and power. Confortable and has been very reliable.

Favorite Features

Size, comfort, power, gas mileage for a 4x4 is pretty good. Nice body style also.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel sending unit and throttle body should have been recalled due to large # of problems. The front "A"post of cab that is beside window and holds up the roof is way too wide due to plastic and causes a large blind spot when pulling out. Raise front end up and dont slope it down because its a TRUCK!

Good Purchase
By Nick Gibson

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB

This truck has performed great in the 65,000 miles that I have owned it. I have had to replace two things on this truck so far (excluding brakes, filters, etc.). At 36,000 miles, the rear universal joint went out, but this was most likely due to the fact that I drive on the interstate 80% of the time and run over 90mph nearly all the time, just below the cutoff point on the engine. At 72,000 miles the fuel pump went out. This also may be attributed to my habits, as I usually let the fuel light come on and stay on a while before re-fueling. I've been told this is extremely hard on the fuel pump because it sucks in air. Other than that, no problems.

Favorite Features

I love the look of this truck. I fell for from the first one I saw of the 99 - 2002 body styles. I also am a big fan of the interior, though it doesn't get great reviews in magazines. This truck also tows like crazy. I have pulled a broken truck with a loaded trailer up severe grades.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I dislike about my truck is the fuel economy (14mpg!!). The trade-off is a powerful 5.3 litre V8.