2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews 4

2000 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

2000 Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Some flaws, but a great truck
By Mike

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it used and have 76k miles on it now. There's a slight rattle in the driver's side door occasionally. Sometimes it has a rough shift from 1st to 2nd, but that's rare. My mechanic said to replace the valve body if it became frequent. Otherwise, it's a great truck. More comfortable than any others I've owned (bucket seats), more power than I really need (5.3L V8) and a great ride for a pick-up. I don't plan on having a car payment for a long time.

Favorite Features

Tow/haul transmission. Very reliable. Extended cab very roomy, which was the problem I had with the F-150.

Suggested Improvements

GM fixed the valve body problem in 2003. ABS kicks on when it shouldn't if there's no load. Not a big deal, but it should be fixed. I'm not letting air out of my back tires.

Chevorlet's flawed fuel sending unit
By johny onenut

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

At 37000 miles, 1000 over warranty, the fuel gauge malfunctioned on mine, and every one else's I know who bought between 1999-2002. At 70,000 my brakes wore out. At 160,000 my ABS light has came on and will proably remain on. At 110,000 dash lights started to burn out. But overall, she has been a very reliable ride. She's taken me from sea to shining sea many times, and I dread the day I have to turn her out to pasture. The 325 engine has run very, very well and she'll still getting second gear rubber. What a great engine! 165,000 miles and still no oil burning.

Favorite Features

Strong power plant

Suggested Improvements

Fuel sending unit reworked

I love MY truck!
By RSH

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I have had this truck for 5 years and it still drives like a dream. I have had installed new tire, new brakes (once) and replaced the fuel pump! Other thatn that regular oil changes and tune ups, keep "Big Blue" running. I highly recommend this truck to those looking for a new ride. Once you drive a truck, you'll never go back to a car. 113,000 miles and no more car payments later - I know I won't!

Favorite Features

Color. BLUE!! Handles like a midsize car. I can park it anywhere. Engine is very quiet.

Suggested Improvements

My only wish is that it had 4 doors instead of three.

First Truck - I'd do it again
By Scotty

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Very, very reliable vehicle. Driven in snow, on beach, through woods, on the farm, and it has never let me down. Did have to have the steering rack replaced ($400) and the driveshaft needs U-joints now. Same anoying piston slap everyone complains about, but the truck is solid and does everything I expect it to.

Favorite Features

Very smooth highway ride, especially when hauling.

Suggested Improvements

The weatherstripping on the passenger door keeps coming down. I had to glue it in place myself.

Great Truck
By eamonn fountain

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

This is our first extended cab long bed truck and wow, drives like a Cadillac, so powerfull and smooth, we just love it. And the 8ft bed is so useful and the best MPG i've ever had in a V8 truck. 5.3 V8 has more than enough power (but i'm still gonna add some tuning goodies,lol) Interior is more like a luxury car leather, power heated seats, lumbar support, excellent driving postion. I 've been driving Chevys for years and this is the best ever. Get the LT its got every bell or whistle you'll ever need and a few you dont, but its nice to have them anyway.

Favorite Features

Performance, Memory seats, leather,and the 3rd door really useful.

Suggested Improvements

20" wheeels would improve the exterior looks, but as there are so many aftermarket ones available,this is a D.I.Y Improvement

Great Truck
By George P. Burdell

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Great truck. Drives like a car.

Favorite Features

Interior and body styling.

Very Few Problems
By JeffB

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

One of the best trucks I have ever owned. not nearly the prob's others have reported. I have 60K and still get 20hwy and 17 city, 10mpg while towing 24' travel trailer with the 5.3L. change oil every 3k, still have 50% brakes +. It's paid for and with the price of anything new why get one? GM support has always been less than stellar. Maybe it's the fact it was built in Canada, All the problem trucks were built in the us

Favorite Features

Power, MPG and features

Suggested Improvements

ABS sucks! It doesn't work right when rear tires are unloaded, GMC knows this and the only reponse is "Let air out of the rear tires

What problems?
By soldoncars

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

What a wonderful decision. This truck has been reliable and trouble free since day one. It's even been rolled onto its side! Plenty of power from the 4.8 V8, and it gets decent gas mileage, around 17MPG. No major problems, other than the power steering pump needing replacement at around 34,000 mi. Seats need replacing, the brake pedal is downright soft, material quality is questionable, the steering is heavy, and the AC has a WEAK air flow on full blast, though temp is cool. Rough ride, but that can be expected. Look carefully at this. Verdict: If it's reliable, then forget material quality, buy the car.

Favorite Features

The Vortec 4800, styling, full guages, decent step-in height, comfy back seat, the abilty to throw anything in the bed, and finally, RELIABILITY

Suggested Improvements

Material quality, much firmer brake pedal with better brakes, lighter steering, better seats, and stronger air flow for AC. Slighty smoother ride to please those with sedans as well.

Silverado Problems
By Pat H

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I have owned the vehicle for 3 years with minor problems fixed the 1st year. I am having problems with the ABS brake system that other friends have had. Now have 62K on the truck and ABS goes on even when not needed. Sensor problem I think. Chevy should have fixed by now.

Favorite Features

Tow haul transmission

Suggested Improvements

Brakes very soft and not durable. Had to overhaul at 50K including rotors. All highway driving. ABS problems.

Minor Flaws
By TAT2

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Other than the typical problems (squeaks, creaks and rattles) that most people get from Chevy, have few problems. Yoke was bad (free fix), the tailgate handle broke (free fix), and 4WD push button was recalled (free fix). Recently had recall on tailgate supports. Mileage not what I hoped, but is 5.3L 4WD V8 with over sized tires - 16 isn't bad. AC awesome, even in Arizona! Never a problem with overheating, pulls trailer with 4 motorcycles w/o even noticing. Plenty of room for 4 adults, comfort acceptable on long trips. Upgraded exhaust and intake for performance, great improvement. Rear doors are too hard to get into though.

Favorite Features

Push button 4WD, bucket seats, road feel and driveability

Suggested Improvements

Rear doors virtually unusuable. Level out the truck - dips in front. Raise ground clearance also, can't even put on larger/meatier tires without a lift kit.