Used 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Silverado Nightmare
By robert hansen

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

A big lemon from bad water pump to poor engineering (door stops and parking brakes. Several recalls. GM refuses to fix major items of failure such as ABS computer ($1,200). My next car? You can bet it won't be GM!

Favorite Features

Looks.

Suggested Improvements

Hire some japanese engineers.

Chevrolet Z71
By Stormchaser

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is without a doubt the best truck I have ever owned. It does have it's faults, mainly in the interior build quality, I do like the design. The truck has never let me down even with 111,650 miles!! It's a beutiful truck and provides a decent ride for a pick-up truck.

Favorite Features

The Z71 package, the limited slip and skid plates have proved useful a couple of times even though I didn't think I needed them. The four-wheel drive is very solid and dependable. Don't think I could trust anything but a Vortec!

Suggested Improvements

To many sqeaks, paint on dash chipped, use higher quality pieces! Also, Chevrolet needs to bring back the 350! It was to awsome to just throw away!

Silverados are junk
By ka8dzt

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

Many small minor problems. Transmission replaced at 58,000 miles. Brakes are junk...have never worked right. Passenger seat belt doesn't work correctly...never has. Engine vibrates badly especially on cold mornings. Eats fan belts. Have work with 2 dealers Terry Lee Chevrolet and Rose Chevrolet. Didn't seemed concerned about my complaints. Never fixed any problem I had...said I had to live with the problems. Have bought GM vehicles for over 30 years but never again!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Build a more reliable machine. V-6 power is not enough for a vehicle this size.

Die hard chevy fan
By BOBBY1

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I purchased vehicle used with 64k miles on it, the power window assembly fell apart, the fuel pump went out and had problems with carbon build up, the truck was in a head on collision and held up fairly well. all together truck was ok, i have replaced it with a 2000 model just like it.

Favorite Features

self diming rear view mirror, push button 4 wheel drive, and power lumbar support

Suggested Improvements

more reliable fuel pumps, and address the carbon build up problems with the 5.3 engines

Impressed w/First year model!
By Deepdiver

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Great drivability and ride. Have Z71 package and my truck handles and rides better than sister's 2001 2WD. Impressive pwr and fuel economy (5.3L), have over-size mud tires and full guards and Tri-glass shell. Pulls my heavy boat and other trailers with ease! Love the auto-4WD.The only problem I have is that the throttle cable sticks on cold starts, have to tap the gas peddle to get past the sticking, once driving,no sticking. That and 3 factory recalls and 80000 miles on this truck is quite impressive to me. Haven't had the difficulties that I read on some of the other reviews, like noisy rear-end clunk, etc.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort and feel of road. Handling and responsiveness. PWR & torq. of 5.3 Looks! Factory ground clearance and low step- in height. I love just about everything about my Chevy!

Suggested Improvements

I think that the gas milage could be improved on. I average 14city/17hwy now, 16 city/19 hwy in factory trim. Option of locking front end. Increase the grnd clearance a couple of inches and the wheel well clearance! Stop the whining fuel pump when the tank get 1/2 full or less.