Used 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Loved my truck
By junkyardmama

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

This was the first new vehicle I ever purchased. I loved it. Rides like a car. Haven't had too many problems with it. Front pinion seal on rearend was replaced at 20000 miles. I've gone through 2 sets of rear brake pads and still on the original front ones. Have 55,000 miles on it. ABS light is starting to come on. Worst thing is gas mileage. I only get 11 mpg city.

Favorite Features

Push button four wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage

So far...So good!
By bgfromga

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck approximately 2 years ago with only 28,000 miles on it. So far, I have not had any major problems except driver's window motor assembly had to be replaced due to faulty cables. I prevented the passengers from doing the same by removing the door panel and tightening the support bolts. As far as the gas pedal sticking, it is a simple fix by removing the breather tube and cleaning the TB flapper with throttle bottle cleaner...works fine for about 6 to 8 months. The driver seat does make a crunching sound when I turn a curve and lean but found that if you adjust the lower leg lumbar it will quit for some time as well.Gas mileage is good for small V-8 at 20 mpg.

Favorite Features

Pretty good sound system. Comfortable and roomy in front and back for 3 door truck.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint on dash as mine got a chip and Chevy does not make a touch up paint to repair. Nicer design chrome wheel would be nice touch. Better pop open rear windows to reduce wind noise...or make an external adjustment for them.

Silverado: Power, Reliability & Styling
By Bmreid

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned 2 Ford's and now a Chevy. The Silverado exceeded my expectations and forced me to fall in love with the brand. Boat load of power, great exhaust sound (duals), and nice styling. No problems except a bad radiator seal at 50,000 mi but warrantied. No recalls either, unlike the typical Ford 3-4 serious defects per model.

Favorite Features

Favorite aspect is definitely the power of the newly designed engine. I stop light race anyone who is foolish enough to assume a pickup is slow. Other pickups, SUV's, sedans, and even a Mustang have fallen prey to my 95% stock Silverado.

Suggested Improvements

Only quarry with the Silverado designers is that the added the 3rd door, but weren't smart enough to add the fourth. The truck is symmetric so what was holding them back? Probably just a marketing tool to make guys who love their truck buy a new one with the 4th door.

Z71
By Ricky Meinhold

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Very nice, powerful truck, but eats up gas!

Favorite Features

Flowmaster exaust and engine

Great Car, Disappointing Quality
By David Cox

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab SB

This is my first Chevrolet and first truck. The vehicle has been expensive and troublesome. I really like the car, but don't know that I'd buy another, at least not another Chevy.\ Door and seats have needed rebuilding, the brake control systems have required $1600 in repairs in the last 17 months, and the dealer has often needed multiple tries to fix things.

Suggested Improvements

Chevrolet needs to get their quality up to snuff. Reading reviews leads me to suspect later years may be a bit better. I certainly hope so!