Used 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Drives Like New
By Anthony

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought new. Drives great and is very comfortable. Strong engine and with hard tonneau routinely get 20 mpg on 4wd 5.3l V8. Occasionaly use to tow 23 ft Glastron boat with 14 mpg under tow conditions. Totally pleased and will only trade up for diesel pickup with higher towing capability if I purchase a very large 5th wheel camping trailer. Extended cab has very roomy bench seating for 3 passengers. I've carried 3 adults in back seat and all were impressed with comfort in an extended cab truck. My kids routinely ride in extended cab bench seat area with total confort even when traveling 6-8 hrs. The only disadvantage I say this truck has is not having the 4th door to easily access behind driver.

Favorite Features

Very clean lines and strong smooth engine. Great MPG for full size V8 4wd. I get 20 mpg and better with hard tonneau!

Suggested Improvements

4th door on extended cab (already done on all newer models.) Auto headlight feature can't be disabled (already done on newer models)

To 100k and beyond!
By bill j

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck used in the last year. Never owned a Chevy before, but used them at work. I used this truck for work and play and it is equally suited for both from hauling concrete to the daily drive to the office. It handles and drives well. Tow/Haul is great and I can't wait to pull my boat with it next summer. No problems with rattles, clunks or vibrations that others have mentioned. Throttle does stick when cold, but this has been a pretty standard nuicence on other GM products I've been familar with. Transmission has rough shift on easy accel. no problems on heavy accel or tow/haul. 4WD has been good in snow/ice. Overall a very good, reliable truck.

Favorite Features

Engine, 5.3 V8 has plenty of power and decent gas milage too (22-24 hwy 14-17 city). Ice cold A/C, lots of interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Better heating. Truck takes quite a while to heat up in the winter. Improved ruggedness in transmission.

Like a Rock
By MPD

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought my truck with 66000 on it and put over 30000 on it in the first 14 months. I have backed off a little since then, but still average a good 20-25000 a year-14 months. As to be expected with the age and mileage of the truck, I do seem to break parts some times (mostly plastic crap used in the engine bay to connect hoses). I do a lot of off roading with it also and it holds up realy well. Does a great job towing. The only major replacement I had to do was the AC. That was almost a grand with a new compressor. Oh well, in the south you use AC pretty much year round to combat the high humidity. Only 7 more payments to go and it will be all mine! :-)

Favorite Features

Love the look of the step side bed. Get LOTS of use of the Z71 off road pack! Has tremedous torque and power...pulled cemented fense posts with ease after Hurricane Katrina destroyed the rest of the fence.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the fact that the motor has a BAD knock when cold. Dealer ship calls it "normal" but I know it to be "piston slap" if you want more info on that, do a yahoo search for piston slap...lots of info available online! Also, why make a heavy duty truck and then use plastic in the engine bay

My Steel Horse
By cowboy22

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been great, and it runs as strong as they day it was taken off the lot. I will never change my view of Chevy, LIKE A ROCK!!!

Favorite Features

Vortec

Suggested Improvements

MDS

Chevy Z71
By Mikhelin Desuderio

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Z71 is very aggressive ride, dont dare to use a Z71 Chevy in the city area with a few pot-holes. Don't let anyone 300lbs sit on tailgate. This tailgate is the only weak spot for all Chevy trucks

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve the soft ride and less aggressive ride. Ford 150 is a good sample a soft-ride.