1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Best Truck Ever
By jlampin on 03/29/07 09:27 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned many vehicles in my lifetime, but this Chevy Z71 takes the cake. Not only does it look great, but the 5.3L V-8 easily get 19mpg hwy and 15-16mpg city. Now that is with the bed filled with very heavy tools that I carry everywhere I go. Also, it rides and drives like a car, but acts like a very tough and dependable 4x4 truck. When I go offroad, it is unstoppable. It has a very rugged and strong motor and transmission. I love everything about this truck. I definitely recommend this truck to anybody!!

Great truck
By ckench on 03/26/07 11:44 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought 3 years ago used with 40,000 miles on it. Drove it for almost 5 years and only cost me brakes and rotors until today. New electronic gear shift box, wheel bearings and front differential. Almost $2,000 and 2 years after the extended warranty expired. That's cheap considering I hauled an 8,000 pound camper through the mountains on a regular basis. Traded it for another Chevy but went up to a 2500 DH. Love those Silverados!

This thing has 95k on it?
By Wingnutt on 03/18/07 20:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had my "new" truck for almost a month now, and can find very little to complain about. Seeing as how I'm a quality manager and my job it to pick nits, this says volumes about the vehicle. The 5.3 has great power for its size (but could use a tad more low end torque), espicially in a vehicle this heavy. The tranny does what it's supposed to do when it's supposed to, and the tow/haul mode makes life much easier on the transmission when hauling my boat. The gearing is right on for this application and provides good torque multiplication in the lower gears while maintaining a reasonable RPM for highway crusing.

Chevy got mine right!
By denny270 on 08/21/06 11:17 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Purchasing Sivlerado new was a very smart move for me. At the time I'm writing this I have 185,000 miles on the thing. I'm on my third set of rear break pads, I replaced the fronts at 173,000 miles. The only currrent issue is a very small amount of surface rust on the rocker panels (rust is expected in Michigan). I've got the 4.8 liter, it just keeps running and getting around 18MPG(average). I had to replace the drivers window motor at 39,000 miles, the instrument cluster and drive shaft replacement were both warrenty work.

Drives Like New
By Anthony on 08/05/06 16:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought new. Drives great and is very comfortable. Strong engine and with hard tonneau routinely get 20 mpg on 4wd 5.3l V8. Occasionaly use to tow 23 ft Glastron boat with 14 mpg under tow conditions. Totally pleased and will only trade up for diesel pickup with higher towing capability if I purchase a very large 5th wheel camping trailer. Extended cab has very roomy bench seating for 3 passengers. I've carried 3 adults in back seat and all were impressed with comfort in an extended cab truck. My kids routinely ride in extended cab bench seat area with total confort even when traveling 6-8 hrs. The only disadvantage I say this truck has is not having the 4th door to easily access behind driver.

To 100k and beyond!
By bill j on 01/02/06 10:41 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck used in the last year. Never owned a Chevy before, but used them at work. I used this truck for work and play and it is equally suited for both from hauling concrete to the daily drive to the office. It handles and drives well. Tow/Haul is great and I can't wait to pull my boat with it next summer. No problems with rattles, clunks or vibrations that others have mentioned. Throttle does stick when cold, but this has been a pretty standard nuicence on other GM products I've been familar with. Transmission has rough shift on easy accel. no problems on heavy accel or tow/haul. 4WD has been good in snow/ice. Overall a very good, reliable truck.

Like a Rock
By MPD on 11/26/05 11:01 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought my truck with 66000 on it and put over 30000 on it in the first 14 months. I have backed off a little since then, but still average a good 20-25000 a year-14 months. As to be expected with the age and mileage of the truck, I do seem to break parts some times (mostly plastic crap used in the engine bay to connect hoses). I do a lot of off roading with it also and it holds up realy well. Does a great job towing. The only major replacement I had to do was the AC. That was almost a grand with a new compressor. Oh well, in the south you use AC pretty much year round to combat the high humidity. Only 7 more payments to go and it will be all mine! :-)

My Steel Horse
By cowboy22 on 11/02/05 20:11 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been great, and it runs as strong as they day it was taken off the lot. I will never change my view of Chevy, LIKE A ROCK!!!

Chevy Z71
By Mikhelin Desuderio on 08/16/05 02:06 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Z71 is very aggressive ride, dont dare to use a Z71 Chevy in the city area with a few pot-holes. Don't let anyone 300lbs sit on tailgate. This tailgate is the only weak spot for all Chevy trucks

Loved my truck
By junkyardmama on 05/12/05 21:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

This was the first new vehicle I ever purchased. I loved it. Rides like a car. Haven't had too many problems with it. Front pinion seal on rearend was replaced at 20000 miles. I've gone through 2 sets of rear brake pads and still on the original front ones. Have 55,000 miles on it. ABS light is starting to come on. Worst thing is gas mileage. I only get 11 mpg city.