1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Like a rock
By biggame

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I pull heavy loads of carpet with this mule every week. Bought it with 45,000 now has 120,000 on it. Love the tow haul transmission mode. Got nearly 22 miles per gallon going to Detroit. Very happy with this truck. I've had them all. This is the best by far

Favorite Features

Tow haul tranny mode and victory red paint

Suggested Improvements

None

155k and still going
By Dand\D

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Got this with 80k on it and its at 155k now. I can't find a car this comfortable. Love my captain's chair. 5.3 V8 is a great engine. I've had 2700lbs of cement bags in the back of this. I'm gonna cry when I trade her away. I figure I'm driving this for less than $2000 a year.

Favorite Features

Great ride

Suggested Improvements

Leather on sides of seats too thin (two tears)

Outstanding rating \
By paul bellitto

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I am very pleased with the performace, reliabilty, appearence. I have now 98000 miles and the gas mileage is great, and I repair most on the every day matainence such as brakes, oil change etc. I expect to get long many years from my truck in these trying years with the gas prices.

Favorite Features

Stereo. Interior, ride performance, appearence,

Suggested Improvements

A fourth door

Best Ever
By Chevrolet is Great

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Ever since I got this truck it has been put through the ringer and met or exceeded my expectations (mostly exceeded). I have taken this truck offroading, drove it on the highway and nomatter where it has been it has never let me down. Gets better fuel economy than 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 6.0L with active fuel management. Has out ran people with bigger engines in races.

Favorite Features

Great motor, great gas mileage for truck, and overall very, very good.

Suggested Improvements

4th door or 3rd door on driver side but GM fixed that later on.

Tough, Dependable, Workhorse
By bwat

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Purchased in 2005 with 90k, now over 130k. I have never had a problem beyond standard maintenance with it. Ride height and feel is just right, power is adequate, steering is a little sloppy, but it's a truck not a Porsche. I drive it daily and it sees use both as a driver and a workhorse for my construction business, I average about 15-17mpg loaded in mixed city/hwy conditions. It tows incredably well even with the 4.8L V8 and after being abused by me for two years is running better than when I purchased it.

Favorite Features

Best looking truck available when it was new. Interior is still better looking than a lot of options out there.

Suggested Improvements

Only complaint *was* weak tailgate supports. Chevy fixed with a recall last year.

Buy a Chevy
By CHEVY MAN

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Chevy Z71 has over 170,000 miles on it, and runs as strong as anything I've seen. I have the 5.3 Vortec v8, and this is such a strong and reliable motor. Not only does it have enough horses under the hood to pull my trailer and camper, but it gets the best gas mileage of any of the full- size trucks! The offroad capability is remarkable. I am an avid Offroader, and have Chevys, Dodges, and Toyotas, and Jeeps, and this Chevy is hands down, the best fullsize offroad vehicle around! Trust me, if you need a very tough, and reliable truck, buy a Chevy or GMC. They cannot be beat!

Favorite Features

Z71 LT package, 3rd Door, 5.3 Vortec V8, Tough leather seats, great sound system. Turns on a dime, Tow/Haul mode, heated seats, Great transmission, very reliable. No rattles or shimmies at all..even after 170,000 miles on it. Chevy really knows how to build a truck. Rear seat folds up too.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, it's a great truck. Ford, Dodge, and Toyota can't even hold a candle to this truck.

Headache after Headache
By Rick

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Liked the truck initially, but problems plagued me all the time. The power window switch went bad, so they had to replace the entire "modularized" motor and all ($150). Then the 2WD HI/LOW/4WD "modularized" button panel on the dash went out ($200). Then the anti-lock brake actuator/controller (another $1200). Seven separate times now the drive shaft splines have had to be deburred, and the rear seals of the transfer case have had to be replaced. Took it in for tune-up last week to find out that the fuel pump is leaking fuel back into the pump (hard starting)--module needs to be replaced ($400). Also the gear shift lever is really loose--that "module" also needs replacing ($700).

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Carries a fully loaded bed very well. Climate control inside the cab works very well and keeps the temperature well regulated. The leather seats are easy to maintain and wear well.

Suggested Improvements

Find the engineer who though up the idea of "modularizing" (read: cash cow) and promote him to CEO of Chevrolet--it's time for this "genius" to bring his kind of thinking to the boardroom and the stockholders !

Poor Qualtiy
By Charles

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Liked the truck very much, but entirely too expensive to keep. New transmission ($1500), new antilock brake controller($1000). It appears to me that several failures were coming up. Most expensive vehicle, by far, I have ever owned, bar none. No reason GM can not build reliable vehicles, Toyota can! I drive only Toyota now, and have no plans to ever return to USA brand names!

Favorite Features

Good ride, good gas mileage. Comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Use GM's engineering talent to address reliability. No reason for parts to fail as soon as they do on this vehicle!

'99 Chevy
By cb

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Only regular minor problems - replaced water pump, power steering pump, master cylinder, first brake job at 130,000 miles. Only negative was broke a small plastic piece in both power window drives (regular wear and tar) and the way they are built had to replace the entire motor which was costly.

GM Problem child
By dave douglass

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Back to the dealership approx. 23 times for different repairs each time. Combined with other GM problem child in my driveway I decided to rid myself of this unreliable headache. From intermediate steering shafts to leaf springs, leaking output shaft seals, frame tears, leaking weatherstripping, engine knock, power window failures, u- joints, interior falling off etc. etc. this is a big reason that the imports consistently score higher when it comes to build quality and dependability. Chevy- if this is "our truck", we in big trouble!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Buy something else.