1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews 2

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab SB

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Like a rock
By biggame on 12/09/08 07:01 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I pull heavy loads of carpet with this mule every week. Bought it with 45,000 now has 120,000 on it. Love the tow haul transmission mode. Got nearly 22 miles per gallon going to Detroit. Very happy with this truck. I've had them all. This is the best by far

155k and still going
By Dand\D on 08/27/08 20:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Got this with 80k on it and its at 155k now. I can't find a car this comfortable. Love my captain's chair. 5.3 V8 is a great engine. I've had 2700lbs of cement bags in the back of this. I'm gonna cry when I trade her away. I figure I'm driving this for less than $2000 a year.

Outstanding rating \
By paul bellitto on 06/05/08 12:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I am very pleased with the performace, reliabilty, appearence. I have now 98000 miles and the gas mileage is great, and I repair most on the every day matainence such as brakes, oil change etc. I expect to get long many years from my truck in these trying years with the gas prices.

Best Ever
By Chevrolet is Great on 05/02/08 15:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Ever since I got this truck it has been put through the ringer and met or exceeded my expectations (mostly exceeded). I have taken this truck offroading, drove it on the highway and nomatter where it has been it has never let me down. Gets better fuel economy than 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 6.0L with active fuel management. Has out ran people with bigger engines in races.

Tough, Dependable, Workhorse
By bwat on 12/04/07 13:26 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Purchased in 2005 with 90k, now over 130k. I have never had a problem beyond standard maintenance with it. Ride height and feel is just right, power is adequate, steering is a little sloppy, but it's a truck not a Porsche. I drive it daily and it sees use both as a driver and a workhorse for my construction business, I average about 15-17mpg loaded in mixed city/hwy conditions. It tows incredably well even with the 4.8L V8 and after being abused by me for two years is running better than when I purchased it.

Buy a Chevy
By CHEVY MAN on 09/17/07 14:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Chevy Z71 has over 170,000 miles on it, and runs as strong as anything I've seen. I have the 5.3 Vortec v8, and this is such a strong and reliable motor. Not only does it have enough horses under the hood to pull my trailer and camper, but it gets the best gas mileage of any of the full- size trucks! The offroad capability is remarkable. I am an avid Offroader, and have Chevys, Dodges, and Toyotas, and Jeeps, and this Chevy is hands down, the best fullsize offroad vehicle around! Trust me, if you need a very tough, and reliable truck, buy a Chevy or GMC. They cannot be beat!

Headache after Headache
By Rick on 09/16/07 16:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Liked the truck initially, but problems plagued me all the time. The power window switch went bad, so they had to replace the entire "modularized" motor and all ($150). Then the 2WD HI/LOW/4WD "modularized" button panel on the dash went out ($200). Then the anti-lock brake actuator/controller (another $1200). Seven separate times now the drive shaft splines have had to be deburred, and the rear seals of the transfer case have had to be replaced. Took it in for tune-up last week to find out that the fuel pump is leaking fuel back into the pump (hard starting)--module needs to be replaced ($400). Also the gear shift lever is really loose--that "module" also needs replacing ($700).

Poor Qualtiy
By Charles on 08/05/07 17:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Liked the truck very much, but entirely too expensive to keep. New transmission ($1500), new antilock brake controller($1000). It appears to me that several failures were coming up. Most expensive vehicle, by far, I have ever owned, bar none. No reason GM can not build reliable vehicles, Toyota can! I drive only Toyota now, and have no plans to ever return to USA brand names!

'99 Chevy
By cb on 06/25/07 12:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Only regular minor problems - replaced water pump, power steering pump, master cylinder, first brake job at 130,000 miles. Only negative was broke a small plastic piece in both power window drives (regular wear and tar) and the way they are built had to replace the entire motor which was costly.

GM Problem child
By dave douglass on 04/11/07 17:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Back to the dealership approx. 23 times for different repairs each time. Combined with other GM problem child in my driveway I decided to rid myself of this unreliable headache. From intermediate steering shafts to leaf springs, leaking output shaft seals, frame tears, leaking weatherstripping, engine knock, power window failures, u- joints, interior falling off etc. etc. this is a big reason that the imports consistently score higher when it comes to build quality and dependability. Chevy- if this is "our truck", we in big trouble!