1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Great Truck
By seanboy40

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new. Almost 11 years later still in great shape, rear end shuttered while hauling a load at first, it was just an adjustment with the back axle, covered under warranty. Great reliable truck runs good starts good plenty of power with the v8, great gas mileage for a full size truck, stylish, comfortable seats, only continuous problems are the dash rattles a little bit in the cold weather and the drivers side daytime running light keeps burning out, no big deal though its not illegal or anything its a typical Chevy thing other than that its all around the best truck

Favorite Features

great gas mileage at anywhere from 21.5 to 23 mpg on highway, 19 with pulling heavy loads, 19 city, 16 winter time (15F and below), comfortable seats, fun to drive, flip up back seat, lot of room (accept for back seat

Suggested Improvements

rattling in the dash when its really cold, and fix daytime running light so it stops going out on me

Decent Truck
By Johnnyk

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought brand new in '99. Has 149,000 miles to date.Good motor and transmission, very reliable. Dislikes: Tow haul works only half the time, anti lock brake controller died, fuel gage goes to empty when tank is filled, CD skips. Overall, electric devices/sensors could be of better quality, a lot have failed. 4.8L V-8 pretty spunky when not towing or hauling. Very comfortable seating. Lots of interior room. Quiet ride.Truck handles good in the snow with good all season tires and some weight in the back. Overall good truck. Disappointed it is rusting out even with washing and waxing annually. I enjoy driving it.

Favorite Features

Roomy cab, quiet ride, reliable transportation. Small V-8 pulls 24' trailer rather well.

Suggested Improvements

User better steel when manufacturing body panels. Improve reliability in the sensors and other electronic devices.

Headache after Headache
By Rick

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Liked the truck initially, but problems plagued me all the time. The power window switch went bad, so they had to replace the entire "modularized" motor and all ($150). Then the 2WD HI/LOW/4WD "modularized" button panel on the dash went out ($200). Then the anti-lock brake actuator/controller (another $1200). Seven separate times now the drive shaft splines have had to be deburred, and the rear seals of the transfer case have had to be replaced. Took it in for tune-up last week to find out that the fuel pump is leaking fuel back into the pump (hard starting)--module needs to be replaced ($400). Also the gear shift lever is really loose--that "module" also needs replacing ($700).

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Carries a fully loaded bed very well. Climate control inside the cab works very well and keeps the temperature well regulated. The leather seats are easy to maintain and wear well.

Suggested Improvements

Find the engineer who though up the idea of "modularizing" (read: cash cow) and promote him to CEO of Chevrolet--it's time for this "genius" to bring his kind of thinking to the boardroom and the stockholders !

'99 Chevy
By cb

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Only regular minor problems - replaced water pump, power steering pump, master cylinder, first brake job at 130,000 miles. Only negative was broke a small plastic piece in both power window drives (regular wear and tar) and the way they are built had to replace the entire motor which was costly.

Chevy got mine right!
By denny270

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Purchasing Sivlerado new was a very smart move for me. At the time I'm writing this I have 185,000 miles on the thing. I'm on my third set of rear break pads, I replaced the fronts at 173,000 miles. The only currrent issue is a very small amount of surface rust on the rocker panels (rust is expected in Michigan). I've got the 4.8 liter, it just keeps running and getting around 18MPG(average). I had to replace the drivers window motor at 39,000 miles, the instrument cluster and drive shaft replacement were both warrenty work.

Favorite Features

Driveability. This thing just drives nice.

Suggested Improvements

GM should not offer the 4.8 liter V8 with a 3.42 gear in the rear end. The 3.73 should be as low as you can go.

Loved my truck
By junkyardmama

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

This was the first new vehicle I ever purchased. I loved it. Rides like a car. Haven't had too many problems with it. Front pinion seal on rearend was replaced at 20000 miles. I've gone through 2 sets of rear brake pads and still on the original front ones. Have 55,000 miles on it. ABS light is starting to come on. Worst thing is gas mileage. I only get 11 mpg city.

Favorite Features

Push button four wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage

So far...So good!
By bgfromga

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck approximately 2 years ago with only 28,000 miles on it. So far, I have not had any major problems except driver's window motor assembly had to be replaced due to faulty cables. I prevented the passengers from doing the same by removing the door panel and tightening the support bolts. As far as the gas pedal sticking, it is a simple fix by removing the breather tube and cleaning the TB flapper with throttle bottle cleaner...works fine for about 6 to 8 months. The driver seat does make a crunching sound when I turn a curve and lean but found that if you adjust the lower leg lumbar it will quit for some time as well.Gas mileage is good for small V-8 at 20 mpg.

Favorite Features

Pretty good sound system. Comfortable and roomy in front and back for 3 door truck.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint on dash as mine got a chip and Chevy does not make a touch up paint to repair. Nicer design chrome wheel would be nice touch. Better pop open rear windows to reduce wind noise...or make an external adjustment for them.

Mired in mediocrity
By MVP019

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have had this truck for 5 years on a lease that is about to expire, and I am glad I am getting rid of it, as I feel were I to keep it I would be on the verge of spending a LOT of money in service. Good looking vehicle but beauty is only skin deep in this case. As others have noted, the gas pedal sticks (repeated "fixes" have not fixed it), and the truck has had cooling system problems (water pump replaced at 50,000 mi.) OE tires were nearly bald after 28,000, and the power window motors both had to be replaced. In short, it's a typical American car - shot at about 75,000 miles. I am going back into Japanese models.

Favorite Features

For a vehicle this size, I must give kudos to the gas mileage. I have consistently averaged nearly 16 mpg with the small V8.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the mecahnical reliability and especially longevity - I feel sorry for the next person who owns this vehicle.

Awesome Truck
By Jonwiggle

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck is amazing. I bought it used and i absolutly love it. I do a little off road and it is fun. This truck has absolutly nothing wrong with it. I own a 1999 with 26000 miles. It is the bets truck anyone can own. I recommend it to anyone looking for a pickup to haul and tow some light stuff while having fun off roading on the weekend.

Suggested Improvements

One improvement I can think of is there is this rattling near the air vent. It bother me, but when i grab the vent it stops, but other than that this truck is great.

Mom's tow rig
By Steve Vaughan

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

We have owned this truck 48 months with a few issues rattling doors, rough ride, ABS box $325.00 the sticking pedal was repaired under warrenty(3rd time). my wife tows a 3 horse trailer 6900 # net and she is pleased I added helper springs to keep the rear end from sagging during towing 2wd no Z71 pkg. would buy this truck again... I like the performance this thing hauls- ___!

Favorite Features

I like the seats we have the LS trim w/40/20/40 split. the tilt up back seat is a cool feature as well easy 2 service engine trans & fuel filter & differential

Suggested Improvements

FIX THE RATTLES IN DOOR!!! improve CD player mine quit! locking tailgate!