Used 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Best truck I've had so far
By txlonghorn88

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I just recently bought a 99 ext cab 4.3l from my dad and I gotta say I thought when I first drove it this thing had a V8 in it. This V6 powered truck has great power very smooth ride and no issues so far. Nothing is lit up on the dash it has been very well taken care of the only thing I had to do since having it was a tune up and installed an aftermarket stereo which was super easy. I use it as a daily driver and mpg is excellent vs my 01 ram 5.2l I had before this. and even my 08 explorer 4.0 which does not get as good gas mileage as thie chevy does. I am very lucky to have one in such great shape the only thing I don't like is the 3 door concept which is not really an issue for me.

Favorite Features

I would have to say my favorite feature would be the powerful V6 4.3l which surprised the heck out of me when I first drove it.

Suggested Improvements

4 door for this year model

Bought New in 1999
By passedu

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck new in 1999, trading in a 1997 Monte Carlo. The truck has been reliable and comfortable for over 165,000 miles. Within the last month the gear selector and mileage indicator LED failed. Repair requires replacement of the entire gauge assembly. Early on I had to have the ABS manifold replaced, under warranty. Since then, starter at 158,000, drivers window electric motor at 156,000, and I had the front end rebuilt at 159,000. I replaced the orginal rear shocks within the last two weeks (Jan 11). There was no leakage, but rear end bouce was noticeable.

Favorite Features

I've used this truck for towing, cargo hauling and for use in carrying firewood, rocks and sand. Always performs well. Fuel mileage is excellent at 15mpg local and up to 22mpg on the interstate. Only modifications are a K&N air filter and modified exhaust system. The tow/haul mode is a good feature. I find dropping into 3rd gear from overdrive provides better acceleration at high speed. In heavy traffic, the increase in RPM provides better throttle response in traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Fog lights should not have an override with high beams. An option for an in-bed spare tire mounting location would be good. It would be nice if Chevy had provided for piece part replacement of gauges and LED components, vice having to replace the entire instument gauge module. ($400+ dollars) Rear seat reading lamps would be good.

Great Truck
By Eric

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought this truck with 136,000 miles and now has 207,000. The motor and transmission has never given me a problem, lots of power and hasn't seemed to have lost any. Still doesn't use oil. The only problems (replaced both front brake lines, front right side spindle, both rear rotors, one of the passenger side manifold bolts broke and caused a small exhaust leak, and had rust fixed on rear lower drivers side quarter panel). This truck has been very reliable, I drive it all over the country and still driving it all over the country, the mileage doesn't worry me at all. 5.3 extended cab, z71. Fuel mileage is 17 on highway and 12 in cities.

Favorite Features

Has lots of power, styleling is great have 2 tone burgundy and silver, still getting compliments on the looks of the truck. Lots of room for tools and passengers, back seat is quite comfortable to sleep in, if it was just a little wider, lol.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better gas mileage, and the rust problem seems typical of all these trucks. Materials in interior are kind od cheap.

1999 silverado
By devin

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought my truck in 2005 with 95k on the 4.8 v8. I now have 176k and still going strong at 19 mpg hwy. Ive done everything with this truck from drag racing and towing a 24 ft ski boat on the weekends to a 78 mile commute each day for work and countless frozen hunting trips up north. It's never let me down or stranded me. Love this rig!

Favorite Features

The five speed manual and locked rear diff.

Suggested Improvements

vent shades to keep water from dripping on the door controls

Great Truck
By seanboy40

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new. Almost 11 years later still in great shape, rear end shuttered while hauling a load at first, it was just an adjustment with the back axle, covered under warranty. Great reliable truck runs good starts good plenty of power with the v8, great gas mileage for a full size truck, stylish, comfortable seats, only continuous problems are the dash rattles a little bit in the cold weather and the drivers side daytime running light keeps burning out, no big deal though its not illegal or anything its a typical Chevy thing other than that its all around the best truck

Favorite Features

great gas mileage at anywhere from 21.5 to 23 mpg on highway, 19 with pulling heavy loads, 19 city, 16 winter time (15F and below), comfortable seats, fun to drive, flip up back seat, lot of room (accept for back seat

Suggested Improvements

rattling in the dash when its really cold, and fix daytime running light so it stops going out on me