1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab SB

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Best truck I've had so far
By txlonghorn88 on 12/30/14 05:22 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I just recently bought a 99 ext cab 4.3l from my dad and I gotta say I thought when I first drove it this thing had a V8 in it. This V6 powered truck has great power very smooth ride and no issues so far. Nothing is lit up on the dash it has been very well taken care of the only thing I had to do since having it was a tune up and installed an aftermarket stereo which was super easy. I use it as a daily driver and mpg is excellent vs my 01 ram 5.2l I had before this. and even my 08 explorer 4.0 which does not get as good gas mileage as thie chevy does. I am very lucky to have one in such great shape the only thing I don't like is the 3 door concept which is not really an issue for me.

Bought New in 1999
By passedu on 01/17/11 11:59 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck new in 1999, trading in a 1997 Monte Carlo. The truck has been reliable and comfortable for over 165,000 miles. Within the last month the gear selector and mileage indicator LED failed. Repair requires replacement of the entire gauge assembly. Early on I had to have the ABS manifold replaced, under warranty. Since then, starter at 158,000, drivers window electric motor at 156,000, and I had the front end rebuilt at 159,000. I replaced the orginal rear shocks within the last two weeks (Jan 11). There was no leakage, but rear end bouce was noticeable.

Great Truck
By Eric on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought this truck with 136,000 miles and now has 207,000. The motor and transmission has never given me a problem, lots of power and hasn't seemed to have lost any. Still doesn't use oil. The only problems (replaced both front brake lines, front right side spindle, both rear rotors, one of the passenger side manifold bolts broke and caused a small exhaust leak, and had rust fixed on rear lower drivers side quarter panel). This truck has been very reliable, I drive it all over the country and still driving it all over the country, the mileage doesn't worry me at all. 5.3 extended cab, z71. Fuel mileage is 17 on highway and 12 in cities.

1999 silverado
By devin on 06/04/10 22:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought my truck in 2005 with 95k on the 4.8 v8. I now have 176k and still going strong at 19 mpg hwy. Ive done everything with this truck from drag racing and towing a 24 ft ski boat on the weekends to a 78 mile commute each day for work and countless frozen hunting trips up north. It's never let me down or stranded me. Love this rig!

Great Truck
By seanboy40 on 01/22/10 01:09 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new. Almost 11 years later still in great shape, rear end shuttered while hauling a load at first, it was just an adjustment with the back axle, covered under warranty. Great reliable truck runs good starts good plenty of power with the v8, great gas mileage for a full size truck, stylish, comfortable seats, only continuous problems are the dash rattles a little bit in the cold weather and the drivers side daytime running light keeps burning out, no big deal though its not illegal or anything its a typical Chevy thing other than that its all around the best truck

locked in
By apache on 01/14/10 21:04 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

With the doors locked and the windows up if you lose the battery contact on either side negative or positive you are locked in. If someone tries the door handle to free you it will not work. I was lucky the window down at the bank drive thru and had to use the key on the outside of the door to unlock. Something GM didn't tell the 99 silverado owners. Also, the stock battery bolts are to short for a good bite into the threads on the battery. I replaced both with longer thread bolts. A friend of mine put in a sliding rear window for a exit just in case. Checked with local dealer and of course the answer was "I ain't heard of that before".

This is why Gm is going under
By Skivs on 01/01/10 15:34 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned this truck since new and thoroughly regret buying the first year of a new model. Idk if my truck was built on a Friday or what, but it has been trouble laden since new. Fuel pump, ABS module, steering column shaft(never completely cured the rattling tho), seat belts, fuel pressure regulator, all during the factory warranty period. And since the warranty expired, multiple sets of brakes, spider gears in rear diff, no less than six sets of u-joints, transfer case flew apart internally(nobody had ever heard of that problem with this model of course). On the positive side it rides and handles like a car gets decent mileage and literally turns on a dime. Should have waited a few yrs

Decent Truck
By Johnnyk on 11/21/09 20:16 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought brand new in '99. Has 149,000 miles to date.Good motor and transmission, very reliable. Dislikes: Tow haul works only half the time, anti lock brake controller died, fuel gage goes to empty when tank is filled, CD skips. Overall, electric devices/sensors could be of better quality, a lot have failed. 4.8L V-8 pretty spunky when not towing or hauling. Very comfortable seating. Lots of interior room. Quiet ride.Truck handles good in the snow with good all season tires and some weight in the back. Overall good truck. Disappointed it is rusting out even with washing and waxing annually. I enjoy driving it.

Not good or bad
By David3991 on 07/10/09 11:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck with 73,000 miles on it. It worked fine when I test drove it, but days later everything went downhill. The brakes need to be replaced and the tranny is now slipping and the power steering is OUT

Over 200000 and going strong
By Lee on 03/27/09 18:59 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck used in 2000 with 20,000 miles with the 4.8l and currently have 211,000 miles. Mechanically I have had no problems except for fuel pump 1200 dollars to fix 145,000 miles. And sun shell in transmission breaking at 180,000 miles. Engine still running strong and still getting 18-19 mpg. Not fond of the shaky drive which I had since day one, dealer said there was no problem. Still waiting to do 2nd brake job, great brake life. Not fond of the cheapness of the interior. But I know I can easily get to 300,000 miles. Strong engine.