2003 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Review: ZR2 Wish They Still Made Them

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Review

ZR2 Wish They Still Made Them
By twoeggsup on

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've always loved the stance of a ZR2. This truck has been extremely reliable with very few exceptions. The new Colorado is ugly so I was glad I was able to find the ZR2 and in my favorite color, arrest-me red. The wide stance of the vehicle makes it actually corner exceptionally well. Compared to my 1989 S10 Ext Cab 4WD the handling is like night and day. The 3.73 rear does seem to hurt mileage. With the taller 31" tires acceleration would probably suffer with a 3.42. Weak points, the taller springs give it very good ground clearance but it can't carry the load of my '89. The tank sender is a problem as is the plastic door handle for the 3rd door and the fogs are too high to be of any use.

Stance, ground clearance is fabulous, this truck gets off-road every single day. 30 seconds to change a headlight bulb (if you're slow). The 4.3 has good torque but the MPI doesn't have the horsepower of the older 195HP CPI Vortec used from '92-'95.

Plastic front valance can break hitting snow that's firm and too tall. Older style aluminum skid plates would be better than the carbon fiber ones. Remote filter on the fender was much better than the one behind the rad. Needs a real trans cooler, Better posi, works only when you wish it wouldn't.