Used 2003 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Not bad
By brian

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I puchased this vehicle hoping for descent fuel mileage. I was a little disappointed. Power is great. It has been a reliable truck so far.

Favorite Features

I like the sporty look of the pickup.

Suggested Improvements

I wish that the fuel mileage would be better.

2003 S/10
By rsaad

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

PROBLEMS WITH WATER LEAKS IN CAB.POOR REPAIR METHOD FROM THE DEALER AND GM, ROOF SEAMS WERE SEALED IN THE EXTERIOR OF THE BODY,AND NOT PAINTED OR ANYTING.

Favorite Features

LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL

Suggested Improvements

BETTER BUILD QUALITY AND REPAIR METHODS

4 Wheel Drive Nightmare
By Frustrated

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

We have had this truck 2-1/2 years. The 4 wheel drive module has failed 3 times this year (2005). The first time (January,2005) the replacement was on backorder for several weeks. It was replaced again in September and it just failed during a snowstorm (December 9). We bought the truck to get to work in the winter, but the 4 wheel drive never is available when we need it.

Favorite Features

It is a great looking truck.

Suggested Improvements

A 4 wheel drive module that works all the time. We had hoped to avoid getting stuck in the snow, but now with this truck.

Toyota here I come
By Caps

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

The S10 in general is lacking in all dept. The engine design for 98-2003 is based on a design from 1986!! If you want a track record, look no further, the engine itself is bullet proof, as it should be, near 20 yrs of constant improvements and they should get it right. However your also getting technology from 1986. GM's vehicles have been inferior for a long time, my loyalty is going to be looking elsewhere. I have 45k on mine and it has been in and out of the shop 6 times, thats about 5 times too many for me. I just wish GM would ante up and bring something comparable to the table in this race of "best vehicles" --- Could be worse I guess, I mean i could be driving a 5-cylinder Colorado

Favorite Features

Looks, thats about it. Easy to work on the engine though I would like something more reliable I didnt have to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Design something reliable, why cant you make it like my brothers Tacoma? Build quality. care about your business and customer base, then give them a vehicle that is worthwhile to buy. Sorry but a brand new vehicle should not be in the shop 6 times over 45k.

S-10
By tahenline

2003 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Thought I was buying a decent quality, economical, dependable little truck. WRONG! 17mpg, gutless performance, windows don't seat properly when I try to close them (screeching wind noise), hyper-sensitive ABS brakes, seatbelts that lock in place and don't permit any movement, backache-generating seat, cheap/chintzy plastic all throughout the cab, tires that crumble, PLASTIC(!) intake manifold, clutch mastercylinder, fuel tank and shock absorbers. Vehicle appears to have been manufactured from recycled beer cans and plastic coat- hangers. Keep hoping it either burns to the ground or somebody steals this piece of rolling trash. Never again, GM!

Favorite Features

NEVER have to worry about locking it up or washing it.

Suggested Improvements

Build it out of REAL METAL and put a decent four-banger in it.