2003 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Execlent ZR2
By deibadboys815 on 06/20/06 18:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used, I have had it for a year. Put normal wear and tear on it and have yet to have a problem.

Gets it done
By John on 03/29/06 13:07 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Highly versatile truck does everything well. Just reached 50,000 miles with only a few cosmetic problems. Motor does a good job. Peppy, but no speed demon. Driver/front passenger in comfortable well laid out interior. Back seat room for children/ short trips only. 4.3L V-6 good torque/hp but geared for low-speed power & economy. Wide turning radius can be a problem in tight areas. Doesn't like quick turns either. Having bought the vehicle in one of it's later years of production. I expected to have less fit & finish problems already worked out. Slightly disappointed with that. Still this highly versatile vehicle just "Gets'er done.

Falling apart too soon
By JohnO on 12/14/05 15:32 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The air compressor went out at 39,000 miles, the rear wheel bearings and the U joints at 41,000. I am lucky I bought the extended warranty. This is my last S10!

Toyota here I come
By Caps on 12/14/05 11:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

The S10 in general is lacking in all dept. The engine design for 98-2003 is based on a design from 1986!! If you want a track record, look no further, the engine itself is bullet proof, as it should be, near 20 yrs of constant improvements and they should get it right. However your also getting technology from 1986. GM's vehicles have been inferior for a long time, my loyalty is going to be looking elsewhere. I have 45k on mine and it has been in and out of the shop 6 times, thats about 5 times too many for me. I just wish GM would ante up and bring something comparable to the table in this race of "best vehicles" --- Could be worse I guess, I mean i could be driving a 5-cylinder Colorado

4 Wheel Drive Nightmare
By Frustrated on 12/11/05 13:05 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

We have had this truck 2-1/2 years. The 4 wheel drive module has failed 3 times this year (2005). The first time (January,2005) the replacement was on backorder for several weeks. It was replaced again in September and it just failed during a snowstorm (December 9). We bought the truck to get to work in the winter, but the 4 wheel drive never is available when we need it.

Not Happy
By Don on 11/24/05 00:43 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Nothing but trouble for me. Not even 2 yrs old an have had a new exhaust put on, had oil from a transfer case drip on A/C lines. Case and lines all had to be replaced. Have had to replace both headlights. Also,the window trim is falling out of the rear window. Now the service engine soon light is on 4 days after a service. Once again back in the shop because they are not sure what it is. All this before 27,000 miles!!

If you are not looking to spin tires!
By Satisfied on 10/24/05 13:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this S-10 in May of 2005 overall is a great truck, but the flaws are it shift with a temperment some times she is happy sometimes she is mad! Really Mad!! Overall ride quailty is good on long trips and the wallet still has some cash in it after the 25MPG. If you dont mind a few MPG get the 6 - cylinder you will be glad you did! It is just more fun to drive and you dont have to ride with the hazard lights on while getting up to speed on the interstate! Overall cannot complane never been stranded or brokedown knock on wood!

Great Truck for Women
By Sue Loves Black S-10 on 06/29/05 14:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My father worked for GM all his life, you could say that GM helped raise me. So when it came to make a choice on vehicles I had to go with a Chevy S- 10. It has been great. The AC works well, radio rocks out! The auto volume was the best invention ever made.

Great little truck
By jpr on 04/26/05 19:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For the money, my S-10 has been great so far. The 4 cyl 2.2L is shy on horsepower, but great on mileage. I average about 26MPG., with most miles around town. I have had no problems at all, and the rig was 50% less than the comparable Toyota. I would not recommend an automatic with the 2.2L engine. Also, don't drive with the vehicle venting system on defrost if you don't have to, as you are running the compressor, and will reduce mileage by 10%, as well as power. My 5th small truck, and my favorite so far (Mazda, Toyota, Datsun in past, although the Toyota was a great rig too).

Great little truck
By dlr on 01/31/05 00:09 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned small trucks for 30 years, starting with Datsun, 2 Mazdas, a Toyota, and now an S-10. This truck has been great so far....everything works, it's economical (over 23mpg in town, with canopy), very comfortable (I'm 6'1", 250lbs), and fun to drive. The rig also came with more accessories as standard then any other truck I've owned. I used my GM card to discount it to $8000 cash....I have been offered more than I paid for it by my brother, who is also impressed. The last small truck I had was a '90 Toyota, which was a great little truck too, but didn't have near the amenities and cost $7000 in '90 (after much haggling with the dealer). The Mazda's scored less-so.