2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
A TOUGH LITTLE WORKHORSE
By jerrymax on 02/24/10 13:11 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Okay, I don't actually "own" my S-10 but as a state highway engineer it was assigned to me brand new in January 2003. I am the only one who drives it and it now has 116,000 miles. On the job I drive up onto highway medians, over curbs, into wooded areas, etc. It takes a beating and keeps on going. Been very reliable. Worse thing was a broken throttle cable at 60,000 miles. Routine maintenance only by our state mechanics. Has pretty good acceleration but terrible traction on snow and ice. I've taken it on several official business trips to upstate New York and it performed very well. Always starts, always gets me where I'm going. Been a good little workhorse and I'll miss it when it's gone.

ok truck
By mattc on 01/10/10 16:13 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Its a Nice little truck but for me its not very comfortable (6,3) the extended cab woulda been better also the 2.2 is not a good on gas as I was hoping. I do like it because it gets me where I need to go and any extra work done. I use it every once in awhile to haul and have had no problems with that

Nice to own one
By Bob Meyer on 06/25/08 09:30 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great little truck. Bought it brand new. Never any real big problems. Very reliable. Put in a bedliner as soon as I purchased it.

Good to go
By joe1968 on 12/22/07 23:34 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

In five years the only maintenance I have had to do is front brakes, oil changes, new tires and battery and one rear light bulb. An amazing bargain. It is a four cylinder 5 speed. I used it in my son's restoration business. We have beat the hell out of this truck and it just keeps going.

Great little truck
By jpr on 04/26/05 19:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For the money, my S-10 has been great so far. The 4 cyl 2.2L is shy on horsepower, but great on mileage. I average about 26MPG., with most miles around town. I have had no problems at all, and the rig was 50% less than the comparable Toyota. I would not recommend an automatic with the 2.2L engine. Also, don't drive with the vehicle venting system on defrost if you don't have to, as you are running the compressor, and will reduce mileage by 10%, as well as power. My 5th small truck, and my favorite so far (Mazda, Toyota, Datsun in past, although the Toyota was a great rig too).

Great little truck
By dlr on 01/31/05 00:09 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned small trucks for 30 years, starting with Datsun, 2 Mazdas, a Toyota, and now an S-10. This truck has been great so far....everything works, it's economical (over 23mpg in town, with canopy), very comfortable (I'm 6'1", 250lbs), and fun to drive. The rig also came with more accessories as standard then any other truck I've owned. I used my GM card to discount it to $8000 cash....I have been offered more than I paid for it by my brother, who is also impressed. The last small truck I had was a '90 Toyota, which was a great little truck too, but didn't have near the amenities and cost $7000 in '90 (after much haggling with the dealer). The Mazda's scored less-so.

gtg
By shellyjarv on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

no power but very reliable

S-10
By tahenline on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Thought I was buying a decent quality, economical, dependable little truck. WRONG! 17mpg, gutless performance, windows don't seat properly when I try to close them (screeching wind noise), hyper-sensitive ABS brakes, seatbelts that lock in place and don't permit any movement, backache-generating seat, cheap/chintzy plastic all throughout the cab, tires that crumble, PLASTIC(!) intake manifold, clutch mastercylinder, fuel tank and shock absorbers. Vehicle appears to have been manufactured from recycled beer cans and plastic coat- hangers. Keep hoping it either burns to the ground or somebody steals this piece of rolling trash. Never again, GM!

Great Little Truck
By Joe Novakoff on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is excellent for every day use. With a Topper on the bed,it serves almost every need I have. I have a small gardening service and the ease of transporting Plants and bags of fertilizer and other supplies is made simple with the low entrance to the truck bed. is a great vehicle for every other shopping trip also. The excellent economy makes it ideal for city and thru-way drives. Economy, comfort cargo space makes it almost the perfect vehicle.

I love my 95 s-10 4 cyl, normal cab
By Casey Buck on 10/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I actually bought the truck in mid 99. I have taken good care of the truck and it has taken great care of me. When I bought it, it had 88800 miles now it has 183200, with almost no problems. I replaced the water pump, the upper radiator hose twice( a 10 minute job) and just normal maintence. I never replaced the clutch, I dont think it is original, but it might be. It runs so nice still. It doenst burn or leak a drip of oil. I got it when I was 17, Im now almost 22. It starts up just the same way as the first day I drove it. It is not really fast, but thats ok. It has decent torque. I even delivered pizzas with it for a long time, and it was always great.