2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Maybe i was just unlucky
By matt_attack on 04/30/12 17:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

So i have had my s10 for 2 years now. i bought it with about 85k on it and at the time it was 7 years old so i figured that was pretty low mileage so i shouldnt have too many problems boy was i wrong. In the last 2 years ive had to replace the radiator, alternator, ac system, ac hose assembly plus a new engine. Also for being a 2.2 the mpg are not very good and the performance of the engine is very sluggish even with the refurb.

A TOUGH LITTLE WORKHORSE
By jerrymax on 02/24/10 13:11 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Okay, I don't actually "own" my S-10 but as a state highway engineer it was assigned to me brand new in January 2003. I am the only one who drives it and it now has 116,000 miles. On the job I drive up onto highway medians, over curbs, into wooded areas, etc. It takes a beating and keeps on going. Been very reliable. Worse thing was a broken throttle cable at 60,000 miles. Routine maintenance only by our state mechanics. Has pretty good acceleration but terrible traction on snow and ice. I've taken it on several official business trips to upstate New York and it performed very well. Always starts, always gets me where I'm going. Been a good little workhorse and I'll miss it when it's gone.

ok truck
By mattc on 01/10/10 16:13 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Its a Nice little truck but for me its not very comfortable (6,3) the extended cab woulda been better also the 2.2 is not a good on gas as I was hoping. I do like it because it gets me where I need to go and any extra work done. I use it every once in awhile to haul and have had no problems with that

Nice to own one
By Bob Meyer on 06/25/08 09:30 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great little truck. Bought it brand new. Never any real big problems. Very reliable. Put in a bedliner as soon as I purchased it.

Good to go
By joe1968 on 12/22/07 23:34 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

In five years the only maintenance I have had to do is front brakes, oil changes, new tires and battery and one rear light bulb. An amazing bargain. It is a four cylinder 5 speed. I used it in my son's restoration business. We have beat the hell out of this truck and it just keeps going.

Great little truck
By Mike on 06/17/07 15:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Got truck for my daughter last year. She need transportation to work. It still looks new. Only had to replace the battery the other day. That was normal and good for 4 years. I put a top on it and it work well for shopping. No leaks.

2003 S-10 LS 2 dr
By bdjr-s10 on 05/21/07 02:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought brand new in June 2003, excellent value at time of purchase. Initially was a temporary replacement for my daily driver that needed transmission repair and planned to sell after 2 years of use but was extremely satisfied with overall performance, average 24-25 mpg and cheap maintenance. No breakdowns in 4 years, 50k miles that I held off selling and may just keep until another great deal comes along.

Great little truck
By jpr on 04/26/05 19:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For the money, my S-10 has been great so far. The 4 cyl 2.2L is shy on horsepower, but great on mileage. I average about 26MPG., with most miles around town. I have had no problems at all, and the rig was 50% less than the comparable Toyota. I would not recommend an automatic with the 2.2L engine. Also, don't drive with the vehicle venting system on defrost if you don't have to, as you are running the compressor, and will reduce mileage by 10%, as well as power. My 5th small truck, and my favorite so far (Mazda, Toyota, Datsun in past, although the Toyota was a great rig too).

Great little truck
By dlr on 01/31/05 00:09 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned small trucks for 30 years, starting with Datsun, 2 Mazdas, a Toyota, and now an S-10. This truck has been great so far....everything works, it's economical (over 23mpg in town, with canopy), very comfortable (I'm 6'1", 250lbs), and fun to drive. The rig also came with more accessories as standard then any other truck I've owned. I used my GM card to discount it to $8000 cash....I have been offered more than I paid for it by my brother, who is also impressed. The last small truck I had was a '90 Toyota, which was a great little truck too, but didn't have near the amenities and cost $7000 in '90 (after much haggling with the dealer). The Mazda's scored less-so.

Dependable Truck
By David on 01/22/05 09:25 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have enjoyed this truck since purchasing. Ride is good for a truck, handles well, good gas mileage. Performs adequately on flat or rolling hills unless you are on an interstate. Do not get the 2.2L 4 cyl engine if you live in the mountains or hilly country. Also bad glare from instrument panel at night on back window. Would buy this truck again but with an engine upgrade. Never had one problem after leaving the dealership.