Used 2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

The Elk Hauler
By Elk Hauler

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd LB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Living in Central Montana and traveling over terrain that few people will ever experience in their life time I can attest to the durability and ruggedness of this truck. I've been able to go places that few 4X4 vehicles of full size could ever go. I've pulled a 23' travel trailer 450 miles over the Rockies with this smaller truck and rarely went below 50mph and still got 17mpg. I shouldn't have pulled that trailer but here in Montana one can get away with some things that elsewhere you can't. The truck was up to it and then some. I love this truck! I've owned personally and in my business approx. 23 new pickups of Ford and Chevy make and this truck is without doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned. The ONLY problem I've had is with the automatic shifter into 4X4. I had to install a manual cable pull device to ingage the front wheel drive. If I could find another one of these I would buy it one the spot.

Maybe i was just unlucky
By matt_attack

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

So i have had my s10 for 2 years now. i bought it with about 85k on it and at the time it was 7 years old so i figured that was pretty low mileage so i shouldnt have too many problems boy was i wrong. In the last 2 years ive had to replace the radiator, alternator, ac system, ac hose assembly plus a new engine. Also for being a 2.2 the mpg are not very good and the performance of the engine is very sluggish even with the refurb.

A TOUGH LITTLE WORKHORSE
By jerrymax

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Okay, I don't actually "own" my S-10 but as a state highway engineer it was assigned to me brand new in January 2003. I am the only one who drives it and it now has 116,000 miles. On the job I drive up onto highway medians, over curbs, into wooded areas, etc. It takes a beating and keeps on going. Been very reliable. Worse thing was a broken throttle cable at 60,000 miles. Routine maintenance only by our state mechanics. Has pretty good acceleration but terrible traction on snow and ice. I've taken it on several official business trips to upstate New York and it performed very well. Always starts, always gets me where I'm going. Been a good little workhorse and I'll miss it when it's gone.

I've got the Plain Jane base model---no push button windows, no CD player---so it's not loaded with features but the radio, heater and air conditioner work and it's a fairly smooth ride. Reliability is what I like best in any car and this vehicle has been very reliable.

They've canceled the S-10 and replaced it with the Colorado, so suggested improvements don't mean much. I hope the new model has more legroom. I'm just 5'9" but would like to move the seat back further than it goes. Anyone over six feet tall will be in for a cramped ride.

ok truck
By mattc

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Its a Nice little truck but for me its not very comfortable (6,3) the extended cab woulda been better also the 2.2 is not a good on gas as I was hoping. I do like it because it gets me where I need to go and any extra work done. I use it every once in awhile to haul and have had no problems with that

good price for buy

oil filter is a pain to change even with smaller hands. too many plastics on the engine so there is no room, and no room to move seats for comfort

Nice to own one
By Bob Meyer

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great little truck. Bought it brand new. Never any real big problems. Very reliable. Put in a bedliner as soon as I purchased it.

Good gas mileage

Spare tire under bed is a little awkward.

• SUV