Used 2003 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

LS 4.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic 4.6 ft. Bed - (23 reviews )

Just a great little truck
By Christopher Paull

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this truck new in 2003 presently have 140k on it, I opted for the high performance engine and my gas mileage is a little rough avg 12mpg city 16 high way besides and annoying problem with a vacuum switch for the front differential which is located on the transfer case ( it was trying to engage the four wheel drive when you didn't push the button made a really nasty noise while the front tried to engage when the transfer was lined up) Other than that on regular scheduled maintenance has been done to this truck just a nice comfy ride due to the torsion bar suspension (something it's replacement doesn't have the Colorado) and the truck has not once broken down. Good performance , good handling( unless you have to turn around in a narrow street) car like ride yet will haul and run like a little sports car. Was a shame when they discontinued it they finally got it right.

great
By stephen

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love my s-10. Best truck I have owned so far wish it would have been lifted up a little more tho but otherwise I love it.

fun as hell to drive all around great truck

lifted up more

'03 Crew Cab Problems
By Gary

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought truck basically for light duty and travel to/from work. Has 77000 easy miles on it. Thus far, have gone thru 2 complete sets of tires, blown headgaskets twice, thermostat twice, water pump once, brakes twice. GM installed DEX-COOL may be eating engine gaskets; dealer is "unaware" of any DEX-COOL problems. I now have thick dark sludge in radiator overflow tank and in top of radiator. GM service mgr suggests I try to manually draw off sludge, clean out tank, and see if that helps, if not a thorough flush will have to be done. Fun to drive factor quickly failing.

Lumbar support on drivers seat. Seat height gives good all-round driving visibility. 4WD is helpful on slick roads.

Engineer who designed spare tire placement should be beaten! Turning radius is very wide. Braking distance needs improved, lack of good mileage is very NOTICEABLE. Door/frame misfit allows noticeable highway wind noise.

Great Truck
By Kweeni

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Driving this truck has been a great experience, have only replaced a high been bulb in headlight, tires once, it has 70,000 miles. I change the oil every 3 months. Air is cold in 120 summers. The truck has great power when accelerated this has helped avoid serious accidents. I have been very happy with its performance and safety. The only thing is the gas mileage isn't as good, probably because of the 4x4 capability and crew cab feature. The spare tire underneath the bed is not accessible for me and the backseat is very uncomfortable in the middle (is raised in the middle) when 3 ppl have to sit in back. All in all, truck is a good buy and should be cont'd to be manufactured in my opinion.

Color, Yellow. CD & Radio Stereo features, Crew Cab and short bed. Fabric on seats, even in Summer the black cloth is not hot to sit on. The console, convenient. Also the lumbar expander!

I suggest moving the spare location, removing the bump in middle of the back seat,placing extenders on the visors for full side coverage and maybe tinted downward extenders for glaring sun in front,very difficult to see road when blinded by sun,I would like the bumpers chromed,braced better on body.

Solid Truck
By bmb

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The S-10 LS crew cab 4wd (4.3L V-6) has been a very reliable vehicle for me. I've got 66,000 miles on my truck and have experienced no major problems. It tows my light trailer well. I live in snow country and have not had any of the 4wd problems I have read in other posts. I wish the mpg was better given current gas prices- I get 19 mpg for mostly in-town driving.

Comfortable ride and good power for its size.

It would be generous to call the truck bed small. Don't count on the crew cab version to be used for serious hauling.