2003 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
ZR2 Wish They Still Made Them
By twoeggsup on 11/23/09 14:27 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've always loved the stance of a ZR2. This truck has been extremely reliable with very few exceptions. The new Colorado is ugly so I was glad I was able to find the ZR2 and in my favorite color, arrest-me red. The wide stance of the vehicle makes it actually corner exceptionally well. Compared to my 1989 S10 Ext Cab 4WD the handling is like night and day. The 3.73 rear does seem to hurt mileage. With the taller 31" tires acceleration would probably suffer with a 3.42. Weak points, the taller springs give it very good ground clearance but it can't carry the load of my '89. The tank sender is a problem as is the plastic door handle for the 3rd door and the fogs are too high to be of any use.

is it what you really wont
By can,t belive gm made on 03/04/09 11:50 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but problems. I have had this truck for 3 years. I have replaced at 47,000 as follows battery, tires, heater core, brakes rotors, cv driveaxles, front wheel hub bearings, slave cylinder, clutch assembly, gasket set for upper engine, fuel injectors, fuel pump asy air conditioner compressor, upper and lower ball joints, catalic converter, 3rd door handle (at 50.00 apop I made one out of stainless steel) latest is a mass airflo sensor and a 2nd gear sincro gear and the cheap interior seats ect. Thank god I'm an ex- gm tech. I paid no labor! I would feel for someone who had to pay for this fine gm product. I see why they are in the mess they are in.

2003 ZR2
By bdock17 on 10/15/06 15:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

The ZR2 package has got to be the best available option yet on the S10. The heavier drive train, suspension, lift kit, and bigger tires has got to make one of the best stock off road trucks with the best bang for the buck

Not bad
By brian on 09/08/06 21:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I puchased this vehicle hoping for descent fuel mileage. I was a little disappointed. Power is great. It has been a reliable truck so far.

Execlent ZR2
By deibadboys815 on 06/20/06 18:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used, I have had it for a year. Put normal wear and tear on it and have yet to have a problem.

Toyota here I come
By Caps on 12/14/05 11:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

The S10 in general is lacking in all dept. The engine design for 98-2003 is based on a design from 1986!! If you want a track record, look no further, the engine itself is bullet proof, as it should be, near 20 yrs of constant improvements and they should get it right. However your also getting technology from 1986. GM's vehicles have been inferior for a long time, my loyalty is going to be looking elsewhere. I have 45k on mine and it has been in and out of the shop 6 times, thats about 5 times too many for me. I just wish GM would ante up and bring something comparable to the table in this race of "best vehicles" --- Could be worse I guess, I mean i could be driving a 5-cylinder Colorado

4 Wheel Drive Nightmare
By Frustrated on 12/11/05 13:05 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

We have had this truck 2-1/2 years. The 4 wheel drive module has failed 3 times this year (2005). The first time (January,2005) the replacement was on backorder for several weeks. It was replaced again in September and it just failed during a snowstorm (December 9). We bought the truck to get to work in the winter, but the 4 wheel drive never is available when we need it.

Not Happy
By Don on 11/24/05 00:43 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Nothing but trouble for me. Not even 2 yrs old an have had a new exhaust put on, had oil from a transfer case drip on A/C lines. Case and lines all had to be replaced. Have had to replace both headlights. Also,the window trim is falling out of the rear window. Now the service engine soon light is on 4 days after a service. Once again back in the shop because they are not sure what it is. All this before 27,000 miles!!

25k so far
By Tb917 on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

The truck is great Looking and turns heads. The ZR2 is a great factory off road package. It has the power, and the 4.3 runs strong. In my experience i am very disappointed in the gas mileage, the EPA estimates arent close to what i get. I can match the EPA driving like a grandmother (not exaggerating) but if you give the gas more than a touch watchs your fuel needle. Definatley not for a heavy foot, although it does have the power and "get up and go" for passing and when you need it. The torque is great and more than the new Colorado. The tires in later 2003 models were changed to crappy general ameritracs rather than the previous BFG AT's. GM cuts corners

My expierence
By stevolo on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

The LU3 seems stronger than my 98 LF6 4x4. This truck is absolutly perfectly designed and it demands respect.I purchaed it used knowing that it will be a while until GM makes a small truck that has that stop and stare effect. Brakes, drive train, power, and build quality is Q1. Frist owner drove it all highway 30K in 15 months. I found two problems after it was deliverd. Steering box upper seal weeps and muffler comming apart inside. Dealer fixed at no charge. Team Chevolet (GA) has very good and knowlegable service department.