Used 2003 Chevrolet S-10 LS ZR2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

ZR2 Wish They Still Made Them
By twoeggsup

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've always loved the stance of a ZR2. This truck has been extremely reliable with very few exceptions. The new Colorado is ugly so I was glad I was able to find the ZR2 and in my favorite color, arrest-me red. The wide stance of the vehicle makes it actually corner exceptionally well. Compared to my 1989 S10 Ext Cab 4WD the handling is like night and day. The 3.73 rear does seem to hurt mileage. With the taller 31" tires acceleration would probably suffer with a 3.42. Weak points, the taller springs give it very good ground clearance but it can't carry the load of my '89. The tank sender is a problem as is the plastic door handle for the 3rd door and the fogs are too high to be of any use.

Favorite Features

Stance, ground clearance is fabulous, this truck gets off-road every single day. 30 seconds to change a headlight bulb (if you're slow). The 4.3 has good torque but the MPI doesn't have the horsepower of the older 195HP CPI Vortec used from '92-'95.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic front valance can break hitting snow that's firm and too tall. Older style aluminum skid plates would be better than the carbon fiber ones. Remote filter on the fender was much better than the one behind the rad. Needs a real trans cooler, Better posi, works only when you wish it wouldn't.

is it what you really wont
By can,t belive gm made

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but problems. I have had this truck for 3 years. I have replaced at 47,000 as follows battery, tires, heater core, brakes rotors, cv driveaxles, front wheel hub bearings, slave cylinder, clutch assembly, gasket set for upper engine, fuel injectors, fuel pump asy air conditioner compressor, upper and lower ball joints, catalic converter, 3rd door handle (at 50.00 apop I made one out of stainless steel) latest is a mass airflo sensor and a 2nd gear sincro gear and the cheap interior seats ect. Thank god I'm an ex- gm tech. I paid no labor! I would feel for someone who had to pay for this fine gm product. I see why they are in the mess they are in.

Favorite Features

It was the truck I wanted so bad I had to have in 2005 I'm not so sure now.

2003 ZR2
By bdock17

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

The ZR2 package has got to be the best available option yet on the S10. The heavier drive train, suspension, lift kit, and bigger tires has got to make one of the best stock off road trucks with the best bang for the buck

Favorite Features

ZR2 package, power sunroof

Suggested Improvements

V8

Not bad
By brian

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I puchased this vehicle hoping for descent fuel mileage. I was a little disappointed. Power is great. It has been a reliable truck so far.

Favorite Features

I like the sporty look of the pickup.

Suggested Improvements

I wish that the fuel mileage would be better.

Execlent ZR2
By deibadboys815

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used, I have had it for a year. Put normal wear and tear on it and have yet to have a problem.

Favorite Features

I like the overall stance of the truck.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, and design it so that rocks dont get thrown up into window trim.