Used 2003 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet S-10

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Maybe i was just unlucky
By matt_attack

2003 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

So i have had my s10 for 2 years now. i bought it with about 85k on it and at the time it was 7 years old so i figured that was pretty low mileage so i shouldnt have too many problems boy was i wrong. In the last 2 years ive had to replace the radiator, alternator, ac system, ac hose assembly plus a new engine. Also for being a 2.2 the mpg are not very good and the performance of the engine is very sluggish even with the refurb.

Not toooo bad...Not too impressed either
By mwahlgren7

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My chevy is slow. That's a fact. Edmunds claimed my four banger has a 0-60 time of 8 some seconds. That is a lie. The true time is around 15 seconds. it's ok off the line but it simply doesn't move once you get up there, and god forbid if you should try to pass anyone. The interior feels durable but also cheap and ugly in blobular chevy style. Gas mileage is pretty decent, i get around 23 average. The gearbox in my manual however, completely sucks. I've hit third on accident more than once at a stop sign because they are so darn close together, and the clutch feel unfriendly and prickly-if you want to shift smooth, you have to be extremely gentle. Not a terrible car but i won't miss it.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, simplicity, durability

Suggested Improvements

Make the seats higher, make the interior less ugly, make the exterior less ugly, make the gearbox better.

325,000 km and still runs like its brand new !
By seth16

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Ive had this truck for a year and a half , before that it was owned by my uncle . This truck has 325,000km on it , most are highway kilometers but it still runs like its brand new ! It has plenty of acceleration for what i need and hp ! The seats are very nice and great for long rides and easy to clean also . The back seat looks very decieving ; everyone before the go on think that it wil be very unconfourtable as you look at the size , but when they are sitting in it ( even for long trips ) they rather have this seat than the passangerseat because of all the leg room . I also love how it doesnt have carpet , easy to not get stains . I love this truck for many different reasons !

Favorite Features

Seats ( very comfy and easy to clean ) Flooring ( no carpet but easy to clean surface ) power ( excellent for what i use it for ) realiablity ! ( 325,000 km with no replacment of transmission! ) radio ( very loud peakers and not cheap ) Ive taken it camping with very bumnpy and regit roads and i drove great on them , as the other "trucks" seemed to have more trouble. Great first truck ! :)

Suggested Improvements

Alot of plastic on dash ! 1st , 2nd gear have alot of power , 3rd starts to slum down a bit etc... More options for a 2003 model .

great
By stephen

2003 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love my s-10. Best truck I have owned so far wish it would have been lifted up a little more tho but otherwise I love it.

Favorite Features

fun as hell to drive all around great truck

Suggested Improvements

lifted up more

A TOUGH LITTLE WORKHORSE
By jerrymax

2003 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Okay, I don't actually "own" my S-10 but as a state highway engineer it was assigned to me brand new in January 2003. I am the only one who drives it and it now has 116,000 miles. On the job I drive up onto highway medians, over curbs, into wooded areas, etc. It takes a beating and keeps on going. Been very reliable. Worse thing was a broken throttle cable at 60,000 miles. Routine maintenance only by our state mechanics. Has pretty good acceleration but terrible traction on snow and ice. I've taken it on several official business trips to upstate New York and it performed very well. Always starts, always gets me where I'm going. Been a good little workhorse and I'll miss it when it's gone.

Favorite Features

I've got the Plain Jane base model---no push button windows, no CD player---so it's not loaded with features but the radio, heater and air conditioner work and it's a fairly smooth ride. Reliability is what I like best in any car and this vehicle has been very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

They've canceled the S-10 and replaced it with the Colorado, so suggested improvements don't mean much. I hope the new model has more legroom. I'm just 5'9" but would like to move the seat back further than it goes. Anyone over six feet tall will be in for a cramped ride.