2003 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Maybe i was just unlucky
By matt_attack on 04/30/12 17:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

So i have had my s10 for 2 years now. i bought it with about 85k on it and at the time it was 7 years old so i figured that was pretty low mileage so i shouldnt have too many problems boy was i wrong. In the last 2 years ive had to replace the radiator, alternator, ac system, ac hose assembly plus a new engine. Also for being a 2.2 the mpg are not very good and the performance of the engine is very sluggish even with the refurb.

Not toooo bad...Not too impressed either
By mwahlgren7 on 06/17/11 18:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My chevy is slow. That's a fact. Edmunds claimed my four banger has a 0-60 time of 8 some seconds. That is a lie. The true time is around 15 seconds. it's ok off the line but it simply doesn't move once you get up there, and god forbid if you should try to pass anyone. The interior feels durable but also cheap and ugly in blobular chevy style. Gas mileage is pretty decent, i get around 23 average. The gearbox in my manual however, completely sucks. I've hit third on accident more than once at a stop sign because they are so darn close together, and the clutch feel unfriendly and prickly-if you want to shift smooth, you have to be extremely gentle. Not a terrible car but i won't miss it.

325,000 km and still runs like its brand new !
By seth16 on 05/25/11 16:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Ive had this truck for a year and a half , before that it was owned by my uncle . This truck has 325,000km on it , most are highway kilometers but it still runs like its brand new ! It has plenty of acceleration for what i need and hp ! The seats are very nice and great for long rides and easy to clean also . The back seat looks very decieving ; everyone before the go on think that it wil be very unconfourtable as you look at the size , but when they are sitting in it ( even for long trips ) they rather have this seat than the passangerseat because of all the leg room . I also love how it doesnt have carpet , easy to not get stains . I love this truck for many different reasons !

great
By stephen on 07/07/10 22:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love my s-10. Best truck I have owned so far wish it would have been lifted up a little more tho but otherwise I love it.

A TOUGH LITTLE WORKHORSE
By jerrymax on 02/24/10 13:11 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Okay, I don't actually "own" my S-10 but as a state highway engineer it was assigned to me brand new in January 2003. I am the only one who drives it and it now has 116,000 miles. On the job I drive up onto highway medians, over curbs, into wooded areas, etc. It takes a beating and keeps on going. Been very reliable. Worse thing was a broken throttle cable at 60,000 miles. Routine maintenance only by our state mechanics. Has pretty good acceleration but terrible traction on snow and ice. I've taken it on several official business trips to upstate New York and it performed very well. Always starts, always gets me where I'm going. Been a good little workhorse and I'll miss it when it's gone.

2003 S-10 still going strong
By Chevy Proud on 02/14/10 14:39 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in'03 the only trouble has been a battery replacement and a few exterior lamps. Still has original tires with 48000 miles. Good preventive maintenance is the key. The V6 4.3l engine is a bit rough on the wallet with gas prices as they are, but, all in all this truck can get out of its' own way when it has to.

ok truck
By mattc on 01/10/10 16:13 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Its a Nice little truck but for me its not very comfortable (6,3) the extended cab woulda been better also the 2.2 is not a good on gas as I was hoping. I do like it because it gets me where I need to go and any extra work done. I use it every once in awhile to haul and have had no problems with that

ZR2 Wish They Still Made Them
By twoeggsup on 11/23/09 14:27 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've always loved the stance of a ZR2. This truck has been extremely reliable with very few exceptions. The new Colorado is ugly so I was glad I was able to find the ZR2 and in my favorite color, arrest-me red. The wide stance of the vehicle makes it actually corner exceptionally well. Compared to my 1989 S10 Ext Cab 4WD the handling is like night and day. The 3.73 rear does seem to hurt mileage. With the taller 31" tires acceleration would probably suffer with a 3.42. Weak points, the taller springs give it very good ground clearance but it can't carry the load of my '89. The tank sender is a problem as is the plastic door handle for the 3rd door and the fogs are too high to be of any use.

'03 Crew Cab Problems
By Gary on 11/09/09 11:58 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought truck basically for light duty and travel to/from work. Has 77000 easy miles on it. Thus far, have gone thru 2 complete sets of tires, blown headgaskets twice, thermostat twice, water pump once, brakes twice. GM installed DEX-COOL may be eating engine gaskets; dealer is "unaware" of any DEX-COOL problems. I now have thick dark sludge in radiator overflow tank and in top of radiator. GM service mgr suggests I try to manually draw off sludge, clean out tank, and see if that helps, if not a thorough flush will have to be done. Fun to drive factor quickly failing.

Great Truck
By Kweeni on 05/30/09 11:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Driving this truck has been a great experience, have only replaced a high been bulb in headlight, tires once, it has 70,000 miles. I change the oil every 3 months. Air is cold in 120 summers. The truck has great power when accelerated this has helped avoid serious accidents. I have been very happy with its performance and safety. The only thing is the gas mileage isn't as good, probably because of the 4x4 capability and crew cab feature. The spare tire underneath the bed is not accessible for me and the backseat is very uncomfortable in the middle (is raised in the middle) when 3 ppl have to sit in back. All in all, truck is a good buy and should be cont'd to be manufactured in my opinion.