2002 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Review: Was great until new engine at

2002 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Review

Was great until new engine at 136k miles
By tom on

2002 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My S10 has 160k miles and counting. The truck has been very good to me with the exception of replacing the engine at 136k miles. Turns out the GM 2.2 L has a weakness in the valve guide design or fabrication. I lost compression in #3 cyl. I decided to spend the big $$ on replacing the engine rather than buy a $4500 used car. (The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.) Overall the truck is good. It can take 3 passengers, gets 25 mpg, and can haul and tow decent payloads. Unfortunately, it doesn't do any one of these thing exceptionally well, but is is a "do- all" vehicle. My biggest complaint is that I should get better mpg, cause that 4cyl is pretty wimpy!

Overall utility. This truck does it all. If you want a truck that can haul small to med size loads, decent towing, take more than 1 passenger, and commute without draining your wallet at the pump this is it. Easy to work on w/4cyl.

Either better mpg or more power. The 4cyl is pretty wimpy and gets only 25 mpg. Now 25 mpg is good for a truck but disappointing for a commuter. You're not gonna get any speeding tickets with that 4cyl.