Used 2002 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet S-10

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Was a nice Truck.
By Fossil

2002 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Leased this vehicle for 4 years- bad news! GM LeaseCo is a situation to be avoided at all costs. Just try to get out of your lease- I dare you! Truck always started and ran well. Problems with suspension (truck developed a lean to one side, then the other), battery replaced under warranty, 4X4 system worked well most of the time, but if you change tires, you must change all 4 together, otherwise difference in tire circumference will bind up transfer case. Tires from dealer were the worst I've ever had. Truck tough looks, but only 4 ply rated. Had flat tires more than 4 times after travelling on roads which others travelled unscathed. End of lease- good bye! Engine too thirsty for me.

Favorite Features

Great versatility, drove well, reliable,excellent seating position with good ergonomics. Stereo was great- for a dealer system.

Suggested Improvements

Fix fuel economy problems- why can't a small truck get 25 MPG? 15 MPG is the same as a full sized vehicle. GM LeaseCo could start learning the art of flexible negotiation. I will never lease a vehicle again, and may never purchase from the General again. nuff said.

Last GM for me
By never_again

2002 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for a year, bought used from a dealer. It has had more repairs than my last 3 vehicles combined. They were also GM vehicles. The front shocks started leaking at 20,000 miles, the door switch for interior lights goes out of whack in cold temperatures so the lights won't turn off while driving. The emrgency break jammed because a connecting linkage under the dash fell apart. Both doors leak in the rain dripping water onto the door arm rests. The gas mileage is horendous for a 4 cylinder. The cruise control works when it feels like it. Oh, and if you park it on a hill with less than a quarter of a tank of gas-it won't start!

Favorite Features

The color.

Suggested Improvements

Quality improvement 101?

Another Good GM
By wrrmar

2002 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd S-series truck from GM. I owned an 87 S-10 and 89 S-15. Both were excellent vehicles. This one continues the trend towards quality that I have always had with GM. My current truck has only been back to the shop 2 times (once for an oil change and once for body work after it was rearended)

Favorite Features

Reliability and gas mileage. Hauling capacity. I was able to haul 35 40lb. bags of gravel in 1 trip.

Suggested Improvements

Ability to turn off passenger airbag without the key.

Love this truck
By miamiredhawk00

2002 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My truck has the 4.3 V-6 and the ZQ-8 suspension package, without the ugly x- treme package. I love the look and performance of this truck, it's my weekend rig so it stays in excellent condition. If your looking for a truck that looks and drives like a performance car this is it. I don't know how much weight you could put in the bed, but I really only use it for my bicycles. I purchased used and the only problems I've had were the battery went bad at 30,000 and the 3rd door needed to be adjusted to open properly, it still squeaks a bit while driving but works fine.

Favorite Features

ZQ-8 suspension package, wide tires, 4.3 v-6, automatic headlights.

Suggested Improvements

I would like a way to turn of the daytime running lights permanently but keep the auto headlights on.

Best Truck I've Owned Yet
By Big Kat

2002 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

S-10 Crew Cab LS 4WD! Yes, it is great to drive, and own. After a few full size trucks (and very poor mileage), I was looking for a smaller, more practical family vehicle, and still wanted a truck. My wife has a '98 Astro Van with the 4.3 Vortec V-6. The S-10 Crew Cab was one of my first choices. Great power, loaded with every possible option. I get 16-17 MPG in town, and 20-23 on the highway. Awesome deal as I bought this slightly used lease return (10,000 miles on it), so the deal was great as well! I will keep this one a while. Has plenty of room for family and a fun truck that I can use to haul things around in. I put a fiberglass topper on it, looks like a Tahoe!

Favorite Features

4WD, Interior Amenities (Loaded), Sound System, Interior Design. 4.3 Liter V-6 (very durable engine).

Suggested Improvements

Small body creak on bumpy roads.