Used 2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Not so bad
By alfred

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Hello friends, I am the owner of a 2002 3 door 4 cyl s-10 with 85000 miles. I bought it new, downsizing from a 8cyl Silverado. This is not a powerful truck. it is meant for light use. It literally has trouble going uphill. I've had to replace the battery, radiator and the a/c died at 75k miles and I have not fix it yet. I think that I have gotten good service from it, I am happy with it so far. I am getting 20 mpg plus. Anyway, I recommend this truck if you are not pulling or loading it with heavy items. Good luck!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Practically trouble free for over 80k miles.

Suggested Improvements

Too late, too bad, no more s-10's

Last GM for me
By never_again

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for a year, bought used from a dealer. It has had more repairs than my last 3 vehicles combined. They were also GM vehicles. The front shocks started leaking at 20,000 miles, the door switch for interior lights goes out of whack in cold temperatures so the lights won't turn off while driving. The emrgency break jammed because a connecting linkage under the dash fell apart. Both doors leak in the rain dripping water onto the door arm rests. The gas mileage is horendous for a 4 cylinder. The cruise control works when it feels like it. Oh, and if you park it on a hill with less than a quarter of a tank of gas-it won't start!

Favorite Features

The color.

Suggested Improvements

Quality improvement 101?

Love this truck
By miamiredhawk00

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My truck has the 4.3 V-6 and the ZQ-8 suspension package, without the ugly x- treme package. I love the look and performance of this truck, it's my weekend rig so it stays in excellent condition. If your looking for a truck that looks and drives like a performance car this is it. I don't know how much weight you could put in the bed, but I really only use it for my bicycles. I purchased used and the only problems I've had were the battery went bad at 30,000 and the 3rd door needed to be adjusted to open properly, it still squeaks a bit while driving but works fine.

Favorite Features

ZQ-8 suspension package, wide tires, 4.3 v-6, automatic headlights.

Suggested Improvements

I would like a way to turn of the daytime running lights permanently but keep the auto headlights on.

2002 S-10 3dr ZR2
By chazz0044

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great all-around truck! Best suspension pkg on compact truck market. Takes eveything that I give & asks for more. Great for beach fishing and ski trips plus occasional abuse. No minor mechanical issues. Nice inter. style & accessories.

Favorite Features

ZR2 pkg. = FUN!!! V6 is great in low end range. Exterior styling still holds true to older trucks. Did I say the ZR2 pkg is fun???

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank please; 15mpg doesn't get you very far. Also known for thermonuclear heat; no happy medium. Intergrated mud flaps; 31 in tires kick up lots of rocks

Sport Truck
By Insidus

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Some simple modifications can make these a really great buy

Favorite Features

Good power with out costing a fortune in gas or insurance like some sport cars, rear wheel drive is still the best

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the third door, squeaks