2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
mixed feelings
By s10ct on 08/30/12 13:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

02 4.3L 2WD Base w/ Ext. cab, 115K. Always kept up with oil changes, tranny & coolant flush. Put more $ in this truck than care to admit...but yet I reflect on its continued performance. Items replaced: fuel injectors, thermostat, rear main seal, front caliper seized twice (same one each time) so new front brake system each time, replaced radiator, 100K tune up so new plugs/wires/dist.cap/rotor. 3rd door useless, oil cooler line replaced, and the big one...blown tranny at 113K (google s10 sunshell and you'll see what I mean). This truck better last until 200K+ with all I've put into it without any more costly repairs. Truck still gets 24mpg and has lots of get up and go when i need it.

Best small truck money can buy
By dougdangelo on 08/29/12 11:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My friends and I have owned s10's since we were old enough to drive. I bought my 02 s10 for $3800.00 with 168k on the odo. Since that time it has towed my boats, pulled trucks 3 times its size off the beach, been loaded with 1500 lbs of concrete blocks for home improvement projects, spent a good deal of time off roading in the hills of KY, and all the while took me an additional 72,000 miles. I have now passed the truck to my brother who uses it every day. I can't say enough good things about it. It is completely bulletproof. There is a good reason you see so many of these things on the road to this day. There is nothing on the road today that posesses the rugged simplicity of the S10.

Best truck ever
By ronnies on 07/26/11 12:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2002 S10 LS extended cab 4wd, and have since purchasing it used in September 2004. At the time of purchase, it had 26k and now has 98k. I service it regularly and have never had any issues other than the tires,brakes, battery that you will have with any vehicle. I have had the check engine light come on twice, and both times the thermostat needing replacing to process the emissions better. I have given thought to purchasing a larger truck with more interior space, but the truck just wont give me a reason to do so. I have offers to buy it constantly, but its a member of the family. We also own a 2011 Equinox which we love also, but if its just wife and I, we take the S10

Good little truck
By tom on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the truck from the original owner, Found out the little motor is suppose to get 22 mpg, I'm getting 14 right now with 63k on it. other then the annoying secondary air Injector tripping the check engine light constantly, the lack of power, lack of fuel economy, and being on the third. 3rd door handle (now an aluminum one from ebay) i'm very pleased with the truck. As soon as i find out what's up with the gas mileage

Wish they still made these!
By drdetroit on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third s10 I have owned, I have had a 99,00 and the current 02. I am very partial to the 4.3 because it is very dependable and I always put 200,000 miles or more on these trucks. I do not know why people have had problems with the fuel pump, I have got 180,000 out of all of mine. I always felt the truck was a good buy with good looks for the money! I would Rather push a USA truck than drive any Toyota!

Was great until new engine at 136k miles
By tom on 04/12/10 14:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My S10 has 160k miles and counting. The truck has been very good to me with the exception of replacing the engine at 136k miles. Turns out the GM 2.2 L has a weakness in the valve guide design or fabrication. I lost compression in #3 cyl. I decided to spend the big $$ on replacing the engine rather than buy a $4500 used car. (The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.) Overall the truck is good. It can take 3 passengers, gets 25 mpg, and can haul and tow decent payloads. Unfortunately, it doesn't do any one of these thing exceptionally well, but is is a "do- all" vehicle. My biggest complaint is that I should get better mpg, cause that 4cyl is pretty wimpy!

Love My S10!!
By Christina on 02/15/10 18:03 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my S10 used with about 94K. I have had it for two years and drove it to work 5 days a week. No major repairs, just standard things like brakes and front ball joints. I am really satisfied with it and have gotten many compliments. The 4.3L V6 is very powerful and the 4x4 is great in the snow.

Good Truck
By Riderfun87 on 10/22/09 06:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in spring 06 w/70k miles. It was been very good to me even though i have been hard on it. The only issue i had was the CAT and O2 censors went out and i had to get them replaced. I'm thinking that was due to taking it off roading a few to many times. The truck averages about 18 MPG driving around town and has gotten as high as 21 MPG doing 70 on long trips.

best small truck i feel
By sparta729 on 05/22/09 13:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this truck, I wanted to get one for a long time. Zr2 package is my favorite, because it lets the truck come already as a fun looking small sized offroad pick-up. The s10 also is still a Nice truck which ever version, u have, like 4x4,2wd, stripped, loaded, anyway its still comes as a Nice looking truck, unlike the Tacoma or Dakota were if those trucks don't come in the better models they look stripped, and cheap, the Tacoma more so.

No Worries
By Whyte on 07/07/08 21:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 3dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I havent had any problems from my 02 Xtreme extended cab. the zq8 suspension is amazing and the engine pushes a lot of power to this truck. I've raced Mustangs and had them eating my dust. The gas mileage was bad until I put a throttle body spacer on it, which added about 4mpg and will pay for itself in no time. The truck is great and I have no problems with it, I love it to death. The only work I've had to put in it was my own on the engine, with a throttle body spacer, straight pipe dual exhaust kit, and spectre air intake system, and haven't had to spend any money on repairs, but I am the 2nd owner and the previous owner may have had work done.