Used 2002 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet S-10

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

mixed feelings
By s10ct

2002 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

02 4.3L 2WD Base w/ Ext. cab, 115K. Always kept up with oil changes, tranny & coolant flush. Put more $ in this truck than care to admit...but yet I reflect on its continued performance. Items replaced: fuel injectors, thermostat, rear main seal, front caliper seized twice (same one each time) so new front brake system each time, replaced radiator, 100K tune up so new plugs/wires/dist.cap/rotor. 3rd door useless, oil cooler line replaced, and the big one...blown tranny at 113K (google s10 sunshell and you'll see what I mean). This truck better last until 200K+ with all I've put into it without any more costly repairs. Truck still gets 24mpg and has lots of get up and go when i need it.

Best small truck money can buy
By dougdangelo

2002 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My friends and I have owned s10's since we were old enough to drive. I bought my 02 s10 for $3800.00 with 168k on the odo. Since that time it has towed my boats, pulled trucks 3 times its size off the beach, been loaded with 1500 lbs of concrete blocks for home improvement projects, spent a good deal of time off roading in the hills of KY, and all the while took me an additional 72,000 miles. I have now passed the truck to my brother who uses it every day. I can't say enough good things about it. It is completely bulletproof. There is a good reason you see so many of these things on the road to this day. There is nothing on the road today that posesses the rugged simplicity of the S10.

Favorite Features

Smooth shifting reliable automatic transmission. This is the most reliable transmission out there. Sure other transmissions have 5 and 6 speeds but the s10 makes the most out of its 4 gears. Cruises at 70mph at approximately 2000 rpm which is within the torque band for towing. Repair parts for the s10 are plentiful and cheap. Any part that is needed to repair a S10 is available at any auto parts store. Parts are significantly less than other trucks in the class. 4.3L V6. Any mechanic will tell you this is one of the most reliable engines made by any manufacturer. It may not be the most efficient but it is smooth and delivers torque at low rpm's which is perfect for towing.

Suggested Improvements

Cabin materials- All hard plastic. All pieces have gaps between them. Then again its a truck. What do you expect. Stock stereo- I would suggest replacing with any aftermarket along with the speakers Electronic Transfer Case motor- If you use 4 wheel drive often this will go out and need to be replaced.

Best truck ever
By ronnies

2002 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2002 S10 LS extended cab 4wd, and have since purchasing it used in September 2004. At the time of purchase, it had 26k and now has 98k. I service it regularly and have never had any issues other than the tires,brakes, battery that you will have with any vehicle. I have had the check engine light come on twice, and both times the thermostat needing replacing to process the emissions better. I have given thought to purchasing a larger truck with more interior space, but the truck just wont give me a reason to do so. I have offers to buy it constantly, but its a member of the family. We also own a 2011 Equinox which we love also, but if its just wife and I, we take the S10

Favorite Features

Love the styling, reliability and maneuverability of this vehicle. Its cheap to maintain and endures itself to you. Would buy a new one if they still made them. Colorado may be a good truck, but never took a liking to the styling like I have an S10

Suggested Improvements

The only improvements I could think of , are an improvement in the quality of the 3rd door handle, and it would be nice to get more than 15 mpg in city. But then again , 21 on thehighway isnt real bad for a 4wd truck. No real complaints on the gas mileage I do get... I wasnt expecting hybrid mileage

Great truck great price
By Dougdu

2002 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new and have 150,000 on it. I have not put anything into it except the ABS brakes had a problem and I put new rotors and sensors on. That is it besides tires and oil changes and I did change the serpentine belt because it was nine years old not because it was shot. For the average Joe to haul things around and get from point a to b this truck is great. I get 27 MPG with gasoline and 21 with E 85. I will sell this truck but I will be sad to see it go.

Favorite Features

Value!

Suggested Improvements

Too little HP to pass.

Good little truck
By tom

2002 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the truck from the original owner, Found out the little motor is suppose to get 22 mpg, I'm getting 14 right now with 63k on it. other then the annoying secondary air Injector tripping the check engine light constantly, the lack of power, lack of fuel economy, and being on the third. 3rd door handle (now an aluminum one from ebay) i'm very pleased with the truck. As soon as i find out what's up with the gas mileage

Favorite Features

smooth shifting, and reliability

Suggested Improvements

better mpg for the lack of power. fix the secondary Air injection system, every time it rains it trips the light when the part works fine