Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

ZR2 in Colorado
By xeriminox

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have not experienced any problems with my 2001 ZR2 in its 57K miles. I love the way it looks and how well it handles in the snow. It is agile enough for city driving yet well prepared for off-road activities. The push button four-wheel drive is a great feature. Originally, I had my mind set on the Tacoma but was not pleased with the antiquated interior and bouncy ride. After considering the Tacoma, Frontier and Dakota I was most impressed with the comfort and convenience of the Chevy. This is my first domestic vehicle but certainly will not be the last!

Push button four-wheel drive and 3rd door.

Slightly less gas mileage than anticipated.

New toy
By erik d

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

If the Colorado was like this, I would have bought a new truck! I've only had this truck a week, and am already impressed. When passing, I found that the 190 hp launches you to 90 mph faster than you'd expect for a 4x4. It's high mileage, but most of the major components I was worried about were just rebuilt/replaced at almost 100,000 miles, so it sounds like it lasted well. It was well maintained, so I have no complaints. The fuel economy is about what I'd expect from a 4x4, but the ride is much better than any 4 wheel drive I'd owned. For the price (well under blue book!!), you can't beat the value this truck proves it has left in it.

4x4, efficient and nicely tuned 4.3L V6, lumbar support, auto lights, CD/cassette

None, now. The rear defrost option as since been added.

Go anywhere, do anything... Love It
By Todd H.

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great starter truck for a small family with young children. Used for hunting in the rugged back country of New York, Mass, Maine, Vermont, Missouri, and California with no problems. Used to tow a 18" Boat, up to a mountain lake with no problems. 4x4 that I have never gotten stuck in. Fuel pump problems but warrenty fixed it.

4x4, comfortable ride, sound system

Little wider wheel base, longer bed, include a tow package and spray in bed liner.

Gas Hog
By Stephen Wilson

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

The truck sounds great when it starts up. It has a hard time reaching a good speed without laboring. last time I checked it was getting around 12mpg on highway. When I go up a hill it will slow down quickly and lag behind. The gas pedal is too close to the brake pedal and can be dangerous if not carefull. That was an engineering blunder. The truck looks great, but what good it it to me that way. I wish I had my Toyota Tundra back.

I like the combination cassette player and CD player and the handle on the dash board.

Needs more space between the gas pedal and brake pedal and the driver seat needs a handle to make it go uo cause the seat is very cheap and after a year it sinks and makes it hard to see over the hood. 4.3 v-6 is not a good engine, needs to use a Toyota engine or a Ford Ranger engine.

First Impressions
By ken G

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Having driven a Nissan Pu 4X4 for 11 years,lets say I was a little hesitant about buying domestic. At this time I am very impressed with the ride and driveability of this truck. Very comfortable, plenty of zip from the 4.3 V6, nicely equipped. It has the optional limited slip rear axle. Easy access with all four doors. No problems to date. Fuel mileage is as expected with a 4X4 not great, but you dont purchase a vehicle of this type for fuel economy, nor will you carry 4X8 sheets of lumber in the bed, a trade off for having the crew cab. Dependability is still to be determined.

4 doors, push button 4X4, no stubborn handles to linkages to seize up, great ride, plenty of room for family of 4, although I wouldn't want to take a long trip in the back seat, a little too low.

Interior Quality,kind of cheezy, too much plastic. A standard bed extender would be nice. Improve the height of the rear seat to be a little more comfortable.