2001 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Tried Tested and Boooo
By shimmer on 07/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Extended Cab with sport suspension, handles well. Many issues with check engine light. Air pump gets dirty and fails, replaced two. Aluminum brake lines required replacing- leaking, ignition switch failed, transmission hunts for gear when excellerating - annoying, dash lights reflect in side mirrors - annoying, hood release pops too easily with foot, no box light, too much body flex, rotors warp prematurely, ABS kicks in on bumps as previously mentioned - way too easily. I have a complete lack of confidence in build quality and reliabilty. Have not been stranded but truck is only 2.5 years old.

I'm sellin it!
By Localboarder22 on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought this truck I thought it was the coolest thing. Yea little did I know that durring the time I owned it, it would be in the shop 7 times!!!! Thats right 7, different problems every time. I baby the hell out of it and it still breaks. I will never own another chevy as long as I live. I am purchasing a Dodge now.

Dissapointing
By fjvwj on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My first brand spankin new car/truck. Treated it like a baby. After only 21000 miles, the car feels slugish, until you smash the gas pedal. Clicking noise from underneath the car. Seats are squeaking. Outside air comes into the cabin, whether you like it or not. Anti-lock brakes engage too easily. Because of that, I almost got into so many accidents. More of a liability than an asset. Chevy will have to do better than this to get me to buy another one of their cars.

Pleasantly Suprised
By smartjt on 04/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was mainly looking at the "import" pickups before I bought mine. A friend of mine told me that the S10 with the 4.3 V6 / Auto was worth looking at since he had known a number of people who had many trouble-free miles with that drivetrain. After comparing Toyota, Nissan, and the S10, the Chevy offered the most value/features for the money. After a year and a half of ownership, I can honestly say that the S10 has far exceeded my expectations. It gets 23 mpg on the highway, plenty of power and comfort, and so far I have not had it back to the dealership for any problems. The guys in Shreveport LA built a nice truck.

Chevy Crew a good option
By yellowdr on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

After 16 months of ownership this truck has proven itself in bad weather. The 4 x 4 has been very handy both on and off road. Having been a foreign truck owner since 1986 I was a little unsure of the chevy product. Not anymore.

It's not a full size truck.
By e_mac on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is what it is. It's a compromise between a truck and a mid size car. It provides adequate hauling and carrying capability with the V6 yet it is economical to operate if you drive a lot. The vehicle could benefit from a slight lift to make it look a little more muscular, much like Nissan did with their 2WD pickups. Other than that the truck has been a solid performer so much so that I would likely by another or more likely the new Colorado due to replace it.

Generally not pleased
By 711 on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

generally very unhappy. build quality is very poor...windnoise, etc. Recurrent check engine light issues, clunky brakes, and power steering decides not to work well at times. Transmission not smooth in city driving

Content
By emac on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A good compromise in power and economy for anyone who spends a lot of time behind the wheel but still has a frequent need for a truck. With the optional 4.3L V6 the power is there to carry or tow most most things. Not a substitute for full size trucks in that department. Reliability has been a plus as has been my experience with other S-10's I've owned.

Poor Workmanship!!!
By $$ALL GONE on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Won't go into the mpg issue, that's already been covered. All I've got to say is it's a terrible shame chevy has no pride in it's design or quality of it's trucks, I had 97 full size chevy and loved it, good quality etc.. On the new s-10 the interior looks and feels like it's made from the plastic from a kids toy! I can't even begin to tell you how cheap it looks and feels. Don't waste your $$$

2001 CHEVY S10 BASE MODEL EXT. CAB 4 CYL
By Geo on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

RIDE IS SMOOTH AND QUIET. 2.2 VORTEC IS PRETTY GOOD @ 120 BHP. HANDLING IS SURPRISINGLY GOOD. TAKES CORNERS VERY WELL.