Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

A Truck Built With Problems
By Bill

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this truck for a little over six years now and I have been very disappointed with the quality of construction on this vehicle. There have been constant brake issues, the ABS system went out prematurely, the third door latch broke, the front bearings wore ouot, the idler arm went bad- all in under seventy thousand miles. Not what I would call a well built vehicle and it makes me sure that I will never buy a GM product again.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, interior seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality construction. Work on the brakes to make them last longer, use better parts on the door latches, put a little more effort into the overall mechanical features of the truck.

a useful yet comfy transportation tool
By Larry Milton

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new, expecting good mileage and long life. 2 wheel drive four cylinder, stick shift was hard to find. Have replaced both U-joints in drive train, battery after 5 years, no oil leaks after 8 years and 100,000 miles. Front seat tracks were replaced under warranty early on. Had to replace the throttle position sensor when it started acting up intermittently. Gets 25 mpg on all my driving. The clearcoat paint looks like new after 8 years of being garaged mostly. I never wash it. The rain keeps it nice, and I have had many compliments on it.

Favorite Features

appearance, reliability, good mileage, soft ride, comfy bucket seats, no timing belt (chain instead)

Suggested Improvements

make headlamps easier to replace

best EVER!
By all black

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i have an 2001 chevrolet s-10 5 speed with a 4.3 that i wouldn't give for the world. the only thing i have done to it was rebuild the transmisson and keep up on the tune ups. i have had 5 vehicles and my s10 has been the best so far. highly recommended for anybody in the market to buy one.

Favorite Features

4.3, and the sporty look

Suggested Improvements

make a better third door handle.

Great and sporty
By titanicbuff

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

We own a 2001 Chevy S-10 Extended cab. We've never had any major problems, although we did replace the radiator- but that was normal ware and tear. I do find I have to turn the key twice sometimes to start it and the rear door latch broke- The 4.3 liter V6 gets great gas mileage and the truck drives more like a small car. It tows great wit the built in bumper pull package. In the snow even without sandbags it does fairly well. I've never really slid in it and eel safe. The drawbacks are the doors don't close all the way sometimes and The rear door handle is broken but I don't use the back door anyway. The truck gets to be a little noisy but thats just about right for any truck it seems.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior is warm and inviting, lumbar is great on long drives, seats are comfortable, 2 accessory plugs, 6 cup holders (2 in back 4 in front including one in each front door), Defrosters fro mirrors come in handy when one lives in a snow climate like Colorado, Handling is superb.

Suggested Improvements

Door latch in back

Nice Little Truck
By ChevySS

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for a long time and had very few problems. Not to long ago I had to put a fuel pump and a radiator in it. Thats not bad for 185000 miles. Runs like new. I have the 4.3 V6 and it makes pretty good power. Also looks good. Many aftermarket parts are out for it. I have aftermarket wheels on mine and it looks great. It's a great little truck.

Favorite Features

The power of the 4.3, 22MPG, the looks

Suggested Improvements

Maby an SS with a 350