Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Could Be Better
By PA guy

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Fast, enjoyable vehicle. Well maintained vehicle when I purchased with 95,000 miles. No rust. Great work truck!

Push button 4x4 and Ext. Cab.

Must have better fuel mileage. Only gets 14 MPG average. Wheel bearings keep going bad.

ZR2 in Colorado
By xeriminox

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have not experienced any problems with my 2001 ZR2 in its 57K miles. I love the way it looks and how well it handles in the snow. It is agile enough for city driving yet well prepared for off-road activities. The push button four-wheel drive is a great feature. Originally, I had my mind set on the Tacoma but was not pleased with the antiquated interior and bouncy ride. After considering the Tacoma, Frontier and Dakota I was most impressed with the comfort and convenience of the Chevy. This is my first domestic vehicle but certainly will not be the last!

Push button four-wheel drive and 3rd door.

Slightly less gas mileage than anticipated.

Gas Hog
By Stephen Wilson

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

The truck sounds great when it starts up. It has a hard time reaching a good speed without laboring. last time I checked it was getting around 12mpg on highway. When I go up a hill it will slow down quickly and lag behind. The gas pedal is too close to the brake pedal and can be dangerous if not carefull. That was an engineering blunder. The truck looks great, but what good it it to me that way. I wish I had my Toyota Tundra back.

I like the combination cassette player and CD player and the handle on the dash board.

Needs more space between the gas pedal and brake pedal and the driver seat needs a handle to make it go uo cause the seat is very cheap and after a year it sinks and makes it hard to see over the hood. 4.3 v-6 is not a good engine, needs to use a Toyota engine or a Ford Ranger engine.

Problem Free
By NA

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Chevy for almost a year and have had absolutely zero problems mechanically. It's a suprisingly smooth and quiet ride. A little more get-up would be nice but the gas mileage makes up for it. I average about 27MPG. That's better then most sedans. The stereo could use a little more beefiness and the seats are not the most comfortable things. Do not recommend extremely long road trips! The third door is an awesome feature that makes this truck very versitile, would recommend it!

5 speed manual w/ cruise control

Make seats a little more comfortable

Goodies and baddies
By SneakyStiffler

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This truck handles great, the ZQ8 sport supension package hugs the road like a car. The 16x8" wheels put plenty of rubber on the road to keep the truck there. The motor has a lot of take-off power and will easily smoke both tires. Very thirsty at the pump. Average 16 MPG, 19.5 gallon tank, you do the math.

Power and handling

They don't make it anymore so...