Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

2001 Chevrolet S-10
By Chuck

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I purchased this vehicle used in 2004 it had 38,000 miles. It has always started and has been one of the most reliable vehicles that I have owned. The 4.3 engine has excellent power and I have towed a 16' boat through the hills of Maryland and Pennsylvania with no problems whatsoever. The vehicle gets about 20 to 21 miles per gallon, and other than tires and brakes, the only thing that I replaced was a power steering pump.

Love the size of the truck. I don't need, or want a large truck. Although not fast, this truck runs really well.

Because it is a smaller, lighter truck, ride can be "choppy" on bumpy roads.

a useful yet comfy transportation tool
By Larry Milton

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new, expecting good mileage and long life. 2 wheel drive four cylinder, stick shift was hard to find. Have replaced both U-joints in drive train, battery after 5 years, no oil leaks after 8 years and 100,000 miles. Front seat tracks were replaced under warranty early on. Had to replace the throttle position sensor when it started acting up intermittently. Gets 25 mpg on all my driving. The clearcoat paint looks like new after 8 years of being garaged mostly. I never wash it. The rain keeps it nice, and I have had many compliments on it.

appearance, reliability, good mileage, soft ride, comfy bucket seats, no timing belt (chain instead)

make headlamps easier to replace

Great Truck
By Q

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck with 15,000 miles on it and now have just over 155,000. This has been one o my best vehicle purchases. This truck has taken a lot of abuse and handled it well. I do a lot of hauling but have only had to do the front brakes once and have never done the rear. Intake gasket at 120,000 and o2 sensors at 150,000. No other repairs needed. Very well built. Great purchase.

Plenty of power and very rugged.

Third door handle broke but found metal aftermarket on ebay for about $10

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
By MkLoe

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first car and I enjoyed it alot. I bought it with 112,000 miles and put about $300 worth of work and it runs great. When I tell people the mileage they are amazed that it is so high for the shape it is in. The all black with the big silver rims makes the truck look great!

Size: It's lifted but not so wide that its inconvenient Body and Rims: Great looking car Lift: the extra inches in the back make the truck look much bigger

Improve door hinge. Once the hinge breaks you basically need to replace the door. Reduce cabin noise especially on highway. Stronger cloth for seats, rips too easily. Add another gear for highway cruising.

A great all-arround mini truck
By john

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck with 3 miles on it and now I have over 111,000mi. I have only had 2 issues. 3rd door handle broke and I believe this is attributed to lack of maintenance which asks for lubrication of the body every so often. And my heater core which I caused by running a radiator flush in my vehicle too long. Otherwise this truck has been like a rock. Filters and fluids are the only things I have changed on my truck. The interior is hardly showing its age. I love my truck. Just enough room in the bed for a homeowner to complete any weekend project. The key to any vehicle is maintenance. If people followed their vehicles maintenance schedule these problems would be cut in half.

Power, comfort, reliability without question, sporty at least for a truck, just the right size for the do it yourself homeowner, a really good looking vehicle not flashy or exotic, just solid good truck styling

3rd door handle, the owners manuals need to be improved, the bindings give out to early.