2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews 2

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
S10...I wish they still made them
By numyar on 09/05/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have very few problems with this truck. I have the 4.3L which has plenty of power. Like every GM product I've owned, you can't beat the powertrain! I get about 22 to 24 on the highway, can't complain about that. (I'm no light foot). I have the sport pack, fatty tires, sport suspension, custom wheels, it still turns heads! The only complaints I have are: 3rd door handle-I've broken 3,not replacing it again! 3rd door/driver door rattle bad together...really bad! The CD player does whatever it wants to. It might play the disk or spit it out for no reason or just keep trying to read it and then spit it out. I still love the truck and would buy another...keep the Colorado!

Nice Little Truck
By ChevySS on 08/11/08 13:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for a long time and had very few problems. Not to long ago I had to put a fuel pump and a radiator in it. Thats not bad for 185000 miles. Runs like new. I have the 4.3 V6 and it makes pretty good power. Also looks good. Many aftermarket parts are out for it. I have aftermarket wheels on mine and it looks great. It's a great little truck.

"xtremely" awesome x dime
By XDIME01 on 07/10/08 13:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

What can I say about this truck, it's simply the best vehicle I've ever bought! The 4.3 v6 is a pretty potent motor, with lots of power, and wicked tourqe. The styling cues of the Xtreme are just amazing. I've had my X for almost 5 years, and sure I've had some minor problems, but what vehicle doesn't. I've replaced the battery, the third door handle (twice), and have had the brakes done. And out of those 5 years I've drove every winter, at least 30 miles a day (highway) with no more than just a set of winter tires, and I hardly ever got stuck. Plus the best part of all: all the aftermarket parts available for it, so you can take it from a stocker to a shocker!

Good luck?
By Natrona on 07/09/08 09:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I had wanted an S-10 6 years prior to finally buying one. I couldn't drive stick at the time, but bought the 5 speed anyway & now can't imagine driving automatic! I've said this 1000 times, I love my truck. I get about 22 mpg on hghwy/ 20 city so it's not bad but could be much better. Biggest complaint is I've had to replace the 3rd door handle four times. Otherwise, it's very comfortable, handles well & has more peep to it than most 4 cylniders. I like the extra room the extended cab offers & the jumper seat has proved useful. The bed is short, especially with the box but still enough room to move my friends! Never had a break down or any major problems. 6 years later, I still love my truck

A Truck Built With Problems
By Bill on 05/27/08 13:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this truck for a little over six years now and I have been very disappointed with the quality of construction on this vehicle. There have been constant brake issues, the ABS system went out prematurely, the third door latch broke, the front bearings wore ouot, the idler arm went bad- all in under seventy thousand miles. Not what I would call a well built vehicle and it makes me sure that I will never buy a GM product again.

Nice Expensive Truck
By Nik on 04/12/08 21:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a nice truck. I like the bed size. I seem to have a three door, extended cab, long bed truck with a 4.3L 6 cylinder engine. I am told that this was never manufactured. The gas milage is not great. I average about 20 miles highway, but only about 17 city. In the winter I put sand bags over the wheels (rear wheel drive) and that hurts the milage even more. Have had a lot of repairs. Two air pumps, air pump check valves (only once though), starter (I think it's going again), front shocks, alternator, handle to third door three times (broken right now), and battery. I've had to truck 2 1/2 years, bought it 12/2005 with 6,000 miles, it has 36,000 on it now. It's had a full brake job too.

Past Chevy Lover But No More
By Terry on 04/11/08 10:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First let me state of letting everyone know my heart and soul is Chevrolet but I will never buy any more Chevys. I have had a lot probles with the truck brakes, rear end, and now the one that takes the cake is the drive line a double cardan joint that no drive line shop will give you any kind of repair warranty it and the reason there giving is it's an engineering problem. But in short I was going to buy a Camaro when it came out but I keep my money in my pocket

2001 chevy s-10 2.2 j. motor
By jessie fritz on 11/28/07 12:02 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The ride quality is not very good ,needs more power for such a heavy truck with an automatic 4 banger (120hp isn't enough).even with a 4 cyl. it still gets horrible gas mileage. (15mpg)I like the styling though, wish i had a 4.3 with the zq8 suspension. the ball joints go bad and my door hinge pins need replaced and at 96k miles it already has seal leaks all over the engine. I like the style of truck. A good truck for the money i guess.

Not at all impressed
By Erik on 03/07/07 15:43 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The truck has been decent with the usual, ALL 5 u-joints needing replacing at $200 a pop, as well as the hanger bearing, front driver wheel bearing, and most recently the entire rear differential. This one proved too much for me to hang on to this vehicle. Every year I needed to replace the Cap and Rotor, not to mention the squeaks and creaks from the shoddy craftman ship of the interior plastic. Will not buy again.

S10 4 X 4 EXT CAB
By Ray on 01/31/07 11:21 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

As with other owners of this year S10, I've replaced all the universals, three ball joints, driver side front wheel bearing,all during the eighty thousand mile timeperiod. My ABS brake system failed and will cost over five hundred dollars in parts to fix. I just avoided two major slow speed accidents when the ABS refused to allow me to stop. And, there's been lots of little things that I didn't expect to have to replace and/or repair on a truck this new. Plastic door latches, fuel sender unit and pump, complete replacment of all rear brake parts, etc. My service engine light continues to come on, even though it has been serviced several times. Quality is not job one at GM anymore