2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
RELIABLE
By ironclad on 03/25/14 06:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well, what can I say, LOL......I bought this truck back in 2002 as a puddle jumper for commuting back and forth to work. I considered this truck a cheap consumable. I figured that once it died I would buy another. The truck will not die. The truck now has 192000 miles on it and it rattles like a tin can. I haven't treated this truck very well and have done nothing to it but oil changes, brakes when needed and a clutch job at 170000 miles. I don't think the power steering pump even works anymore, but hey it still steers down the road. The 2.2L engine is lacking in power but never fails to start, ever.....darn it, ever.....I've tried to kill it, but it just won't die.....

SMOOTH RUNNING
By JOHN on 08/07/09 06:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great little pickup for light hauling. Drives smooth & straight with excellent brakes. Manual transmission is fine. My 4 cyl gets 23 mpg. I do have trouble with the emmision pump (so the computer says) system but it does not effect the running of the unit.

Great truck
By brandon on 11/20/08 19:16 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Simply put you can't beat an S-10. They will take anything you can throw at them. Everything I have asked this truck to do it has. During week drove it back and forth to college and then to work all week and on weekend I do everything from service coal truck I haul big tireds, usally more that one 50 gallon drum and drove back on strip jobs where most people would never dream of taking a 2-drive. Not saying I didn't get stuck sometimes, and at same as time would take home from doing that wash it up and take out to bar. Even in winter went most people park their 2 wheeldrive I didn't. I would just throw 200 250 pounds in the back. Old 4.3 would just idle its way around. Sometime I had spend my way out

No complaints here
By MB on 05/19/07 22:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Personally, I have not had any issues with the truck other than the original battery leaking out acid from the positive terminal after 6 years of use. I never drive off road, and do not push it into 4WD situations, since I know this little 2WD would get stuck. I still have two of the 4 original tires with some tread left. I have taken it easy on the transmission and only rarely haul something heavy in the bed. Maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones, but by not abusing this truck and keeping it maintained it has given me no problems and has been amazingly reliable.

Mixed Feelings
By Gordon on 05/19/05 14:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new vehicle and I have mixed feelings. It HAS lasted almost five years straight. I have driven it repeatedly off road and pulled little bush stumps with it. On the OTHER hand, with less than 1000 miles on it a coolant leak developed behind the dash, turning that new car smell into that rotting corpse smell. It's also extremely underpowered. I have actually considered turning off the A/C when merging onto a fast highway. And I have to replace a blown A/C fuse about twice a year. As it nears 90K miles, most of the engine seals are leaking. In the end, it is just what I paid for: a cheap little truck that will take care of you if you take care of it.

New S-10
By gjc866 on 02/25/02 16:06 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased this S-10 two weeks ago, already logged 1100 miles on it. Fun truck to drive, very nice interior. 4 cylinder with automatic a little weak, but easy on gas. That's the trade off -power or economy. Felt better than the Ford Ranger I drove, tighter, and less expensive vs features than the Dodge Dakota which was also very, very nice.