Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Base Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Don't Believe Published MPG
By beachguy46

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Chevy S-10 is a great looking truck. Mine is painted the 2001 version of a midnight metallic blue and it is really sharp. I have the extended cab version and its very comfortable for a small vehicle. Visibility is great, and parking is easy. Great stereo and CD player. A big disappointment is the low performance of the 4 cyl. engine and the very disappointing miles per gallon. I drive the truck very conservatively yet can only get about 17 mpg. in combined highway and city driving. Not very good for a vehicle with a 4 cylinder low performance engine. I would recommend the 6 cyl. version of this truck. Since the same body style was made for many years, spare parts are readily available.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks with the factory aluminum wheels is awesome especially in the factory midnight blue metallic with the aluminum wheels. I also like the factory installed plastic bed-liner, very durable and functional

Suggested Improvements

The 4 cyl, engine in this truck is a big disappointment. This truck needs a high performance 4 or a 6 cyl. engine.

S10...I wish they still made them
By numyar

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have very few problems with this truck. I have the 4.3L which has plenty of power. Like every GM product I've owned, you can't beat the powertrain! I get about 22 to 24 on the highway, can't complain about that. (I'm no light foot). I have the sport pack, fatty tires, sport suspension, custom wheels, it still turns heads! The only complaints I have are: 3rd door handle-I've broken 3,not replacing it again! 3rd door/driver door rattle bad together...really bad! The CD player does whatever it wants to. It might play the disk or spit it out for no reason or just keep trying to read it and then spit it out. I still love the truck and would buy another...keep the Colorado!

Favorite Features

I love the handling with the sport pack, the overall body style, power of the 4.3L. I just really like this truck!

Suggested Improvements

The 3rd door handle!

Good luck?
By Natrona

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I had wanted an S-10 6 years prior to finally buying one. I couldn't drive stick at the time, but bought the 5 speed anyway & now can't imagine driving automatic! I've said this 1000 times, I love my truck. I get about 22 mpg on hghwy/ 20 city so it's not bad but could be much better. Biggest complaint is I've had to replace the 3rd door handle four times. Otherwise, it's very comfortable, handles well & has more peep to it than most 4 cylniders. I like the extra room the extended cab offers & the jumper seat has proved useful. The bed is short, especially with the box but still enough room to move my friends! Never had a break down or any major problems. 6 years later, I still love my truck

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, in door cup holders, jumper seat, comfortable seats, sliding window in back, third door

Suggested Improvements

Did I mention I had to replace the 3rd door handle four times? Consider making it stronger, this is very frustrating to say the least.

A Truck Built With Problems
By Bill

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this truck for a little over six years now and I have been very disappointed with the quality of construction on this vehicle. There have been constant brake issues, the ABS system went out prematurely, the third door latch broke, the front bearings wore ouot, the idler arm went bad- all in under seventy thousand miles. Not what I would call a well built vehicle and it makes me sure that I will never buy a GM product again.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, interior seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality construction. Work on the brakes to make them last longer, use better parts on the door latches, put a little more effort into the overall mechanical features of the truck.

2001 chevy s-10 2.2 j. motor
By jessie fritz

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The ride quality is not very good ,needs more power for such a heavy truck with an automatic 4 banger (120hp isn't enough).even with a 4 cyl. it still gets horrible gas mileage. (15mpg)I like the styling though, wish i had a 4.3 with the zq8 suspension. the ball joints go bad and my door hinge pins need replaced and at 96k miles it already has seal leaks all over the engine. I like the style of truck. A good truck for the money i guess.

Favorite Features

xtreme or 4.3 option w/5spd. and zQ8. styling is nice too. also like the third door

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage and more power