2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Great and sporty
By titanicbuff on 03/05/13 11:30 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

We own a 2001 Chevy S-10 Extended cab. We've never had any major problems, although we did replace the radiator- but that was normal ware and tear. I do find I have to turn the key twice sometimes to start it and the rear door latch broke- The 4.3 liter V6 gets great gas mileage and the truck drives more like a small car. It tows great wit the built in bumper pull package. In the snow even without sandbags it does fairly well. I've never really slid in it and eel safe. The drawbacks are the doors don't close all the way sometimes and The rear door handle is broken but I don't use the back door anyway. The truck gets to be a little noisy but thats just about right for any truck it seems.

Don't Believe Published MPG
By beachguy46 on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Chevy S-10 is a great looking truck. Mine is painted the 2001 version of a midnight metallic blue and it is really sharp. I have the extended cab version and its very comfortable for a small vehicle. Visibility is great, and parking is easy. Great stereo and CD player. A big disappointment is the low performance of the 4 cyl. engine and the very disappointing miles per gallon. I drive the truck very conservatively yet can only get about 17 mpg. in combined highway and city driving. Not very good for a vehicle with a 4 cylinder low performance engine. I would recommend the 6 cyl. version of this truck. Since the same body style was made for many years, spare parts are readily available.

best EVER!
By all black on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i have an 2001 chevrolet s-10 5 speed with a 4.3 that i wouldn't give for the world. the only thing i have done to it was rebuild the transmisson and keep up on the tune ups. i have had 5 vehicles and my s10 has been the best so far. highly recommended for anybody in the market to buy one.

I Must Have One of the Good Ones!
By JTS64 on 08/21/10 13:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After reading all of the negative reviews on here, I felt that I should share my positive experiences with my truck so far. I bought my V6/auto truck new in 2001, and it has NEVER been back to the dealership for work. I replaced the battery myself when it started seeping acid from the side post a couple of years ago. Other than that, it's just been oil/filter changes and suspension grease jobs. I have driven the truck on 3000 mile round trips to Florida three times and have averaged 24 - 26 mpg on each trip! The seats are very comfortable for road trips as well.

heluva truck
By Daniel on 06/16/10 13:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck on 7/20/2009 and it's been a joy to own ever since. I bought the truck for $6,000 and it had 83,000 miles on it. The only problem I've had on it is that CO2 sensor got moisture in it after a heavy rain and as the weather got warmer the moisture went away. The truck is very fun to drive and I'm hoping to own it for a very long time. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned and i love my s-10.

2001 Chevrolet S-10
By Chuck on 09/13/09 17:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When I purchased this vehicle used in 2004 it had 38,000 miles. It has always started and has been one of the most reliable vehicles that I have owned. The 4.3 engine has excellent power and I have towed a 16' boat through the hills of Maryland and Pennsylvania with no problems whatsoever. The vehicle gets about 20 to 21 miles per gallon, and other than tires and brakes, the only thing that I replaced was a power steering pump.

a useful yet comfy transportation tool
By Larry Milton on 07/28/09 11:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new, expecting good mileage and long life. 2 wheel drive four cylinder, stick shift was hard to find. Have replaced both U-joints in drive train, battery after 5 years, no oil leaks after 8 years and 100,000 miles. Front seat tracks were replaced under warranty early on. Had to replace the throttle position sensor when it started acting up intermittently. Gets 25 mpg on all my driving. The clearcoat paint looks like new after 8 years of being garaged mostly. I never wash it. The rain keeps it nice, and I have had many compliments on it.

Great Truck
By Q on 03/12/09 19:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck with 15,000 miles on it and now have just over 155,000. This has been one o my best vehicle purchases. This truck has taken a lot of abuse and handled it well. I do a lot of hauling but have only had to do the front brakes once and have never done the rear. Intake gasket at 120,000 and o2 sensors at 150,000. No other repairs needed. Very well built. Great purchase.

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
By MkLoe on 03/09/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first car and I enjoyed it alot. I bought it with 112,000 miles and put about $300 worth of work and it runs great. When I tell people the mileage they are amazed that it is so high for the shape it is in. The all black with the big silver rims makes the truck look great!

A great all-arround mini truck
By john on 02/13/09 10:11 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck with 3 miles on it and now I have over 111,000mi. I have only had 2 issues. 3rd door handle broke and I believe this is attributed to lack of maintenance which asks for lubrication of the body every so often. And my heater core which I caused by running a radiator flush in my vehicle too long. Otherwise this truck has been like a rock. Filters and fluids are the only things I have changed on my truck. The interior is hardly showing its age. I love my truck. Just enough room in the bed for a homeowner to complete any weekend project. The key to any vehicle is maintenance. If people followed their vehicles maintenance schedule these problems would be cut in half.