Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Great and sporty
By titanicbuff

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

We own a 2001 Chevy S-10 Extended cab. We've never had any major problems, although we did replace the radiator- but that was normal ware and tear. I do find I have to turn the key twice sometimes to start it and the rear door latch broke- The 4.3 liter V6 gets great gas mileage and the truck drives more like a small car. It tows great wit the built in bumper pull package. In the snow even without sandbags it does fairly well. I've never really slid in it and eel safe. The drawbacks are the doors don't close all the way sometimes and The rear door handle is broken but I don't use the back door anyway. The truck gets to be a little noisy but thats just about right for any truck it seems.

Comfortable interior is warm and inviting, lumbar is great on long drives, seats are comfortable, 2 accessory plugs, 6 cup holders (2 in back 4 in front including one in each front door), Defrosters fro mirrors come in handy when one lives in a snow climate like Colorado, Handling is superb.

Door latch in back

Don't Believe Published MPG
By beachguy46

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Chevy S-10 is a great looking truck. Mine is painted the 2001 version of a midnight metallic blue and it is really sharp. I have the extended cab version and its very comfortable for a small vehicle. Visibility is great, and parking is easy. Great stereo and CD player. A big disappointment is the low performance of the 4 cyl. engine and the very disappointing miles per gallon. I drive the truck very conservatively yet can only get about 17 mpg. in combined highway and city driving. Not very good for a vehicle with a 4 cylinder low performance engine. I would recommend the 6 cyl. version of this truck. Since the same body style was made for many years, spare parts are readily available.

Exterior looks with the factory aluminum wheels is awesome especially in the factory midnight blue metallic with the aluminum wheels. I also like the factory installed plastic bed-liner, very durable and functional

The 4 cyl, engine in this truck is a big disappointment. This truck needs a high performance 4 or a 6 cyl. engine.

best EVER!
By all black

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

i have an 2001 chevrolet s-10 5 speed with a 4.3 that i wouldn't give for the world. the only thing i have done to it was rebuild the transmisson and keep up on the tune ups. i have had 5 vehicles and my s10 has been the best so far. highly recommended for anybody in the market to buy one.

4.3, and the sporty look

make a better third door handle.

I Must Have One of the Good Ones!
By JTS64

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

After reading all of the negative reviews on here, I felt that I should share my positive experiences with my truck so far. I bought my V6/auto truck new in 2001, and it has NEVER been back to the dealership for work. I replaced the battery myself when it started seeping acid from the side post a couple of years ago. Other than that, it's just been oil/filter changes and suspension grease jobs. I have driven the truck on 3000 mile round trips to Florida three times and have averaged 24 - 26 mpg on each trip! The seats are very comfortable for road trips as well.

Great highway gas mileage, comfortable seats - not torture racks like my Toyota truck, V6 has lots of torque, Great reliability - maybe keeping good maintenance helps there.

Original tires last a LONG time but grip is not the greatest, no other issues so far

heluva truck
By Daniel

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck on 7/20/2009 and it's been a joy to own ever since. I bought the truck for $6,000 and it had 83,000 miles on it. The only problem I've had on it is that CO2 sensor got moisture in it after a heavy rain and as the weather got warmer the moisture went away. The truck is very fun to drive and I'm hoping to own it for a very long time. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned and i love my s-10.

great mpg great sound system great motor and last but not least very fun to drive

nothing other than the CO2 sensor located in the exhaust system