2001 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

LS 4.3L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic 4.6 ft. Bed - (16 reviews )
good luck with this truck
By judyh66 on 07/11/13 16:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This truck was a money pit. Check engine light tortured me daily. I spent so much money (thousands) of dollars trying to get rid of this light. Then the abs light and brake light came on and lit up my dash for 3 yrs. Nobody could fix it. They would turn off the light with their machines and I would drive around the block and theres the lights right back on. After 18k I traded it in for 4k and just got the nightmare out of my life. Will never buy another one.

Proud of my S10
By Nebby58 on 09/06/10 09:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this S10 recently. This is my first car and I am very pleased so far. I was one of those teenagers that thought they wanted a really exotic car like a Mitsubishi eclipse. If you are shopping for a first car definitely look at these. There are tons of them around and you can get a great deal on them.

5th S-10
By Dale on 06/04/10 19:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Like the crew-cab. good towing vehicle. I tow my 20 ft car hauler and 2800 lb race truck no problems. Once thing that helps this truck out with any cooling issues and power loss is to purchase a complete cooling fan system for a 98-02 camaro or firebird and install. take the belt driven fan clutch system off and drop the fans in and by an aftermarket thermostat controls. My works fine and I've gained several hp doing so. This truck has 352,222 miles on it and it still runs good. no internal work to engine at all or really any other work done besides maintenance. She getting a little weak now but she's been run really hard. Driving till she dies

It's as loyal as a good dog
By Happy with mine on 08/05/08 09:29 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my S10 4x4 Crew Cab with 25K, and now have over 80K. One repair in that entire time - front ball joints. Now, I did not keep them greased, so I cannot entirely blame Chevy, although I understand these are a weak point. Other than that, no problems at all.

Wish they built more
By RIC on 04/18/07 18:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck about 8 months ago and I have hauled rocks, dirt, gravel, all of my stuff from a move, 2 boats, and all the while in the worst snow, ice, and whatever God could throw at you, and it performed like a beauty with 22 mpg at 132,000 miles. Paid $7k for the truck and I have used the 4x4 push button more times than you could shake a stick at. it has a litte cubby behind the rear seat for whatever tools you may need, a sliding rear window, can tow 5200lbs out of an awesome 4.3 6cyl.compared to the Dakota's 3400lbs max for their v6 (wimpy). Do not buy if you need a finesse city truck. I have had no issues yet with the truck. But at 132K what can I say? The thing is "like a rock".

Great Truck Served Its Purpose
By MJB on 03/27/07 21:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Reading some of the negative reviews posted here motivated me to write this review. First off, this is a great small truck for the money. I purchased mine used with 90 some thousand miles and it is still running strong. I get almost 22 MPG strictly highway and average about 18 MPG combined. If your truck has no power and poor fuel mileage, duh, take it into a garage and have it looked at. Something is obviously wrong. Then there's the clowns who expect to have a Cadillac quality truck and pay a Chevy price. And don't get me started on the dolts who probably bought theirs used and did not take time or spend a little money to make sure the truck was previously maintained.

New toy
By erik d on 04/11/06 09:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

If the Colorado was like this, I would have bought a new truck! I've only had this truck a week, and am already impressed. When passing, I found that the 190 hp launches you to 90 mph faster than you'd expect for a 4x4. It's high mileage, but most of the major components I was worried about were just rebuilt/replaced at almost 100,000 miles, so it sounds like it lasted well. It was well maintained, so I have no complaints. The fuel economy is about what I'd expect from a 4x4, but the ride is much better than any 4 wheel drive I'd owned. For the price (well under blue book!!), you can't beat the value this truck proves it has left in it.

Go anywhere, do anything... Love It
By Todd H. on 04/07/06 21:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great starter truck for a small family with young children. Used for hunting in the rugged back country of New York, Mass, Maine, Vermont, Missouri, and California with no problems. Used to tow a 18" Boat, up to a mountain lake with no problems. 4x4 that I have never gotten stuck in. Fuel pump problems but warrenty fixed it.

First Impressions
By ken G on 11/11/05 15:43 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Having driven a Nissan Pu 4X4 for 11 years,lets say I was a little hesitant about buying domestic. At this time I am very impressed with the ride and driveability of this truck. Very comfortable, plenty of zip from the 4.3 V6, nicely equipped. It has the optional limited slip rear axle. Easy access with all four doors. No problems to date. Fuel mileage is as expected with a 4X4 not great, but you dont purchase a vehicle of this type for fuel economy, nor will you carry 4X8 sheets of lumber in the bed, a trade off for having the crew cab. Dependability is still to be determined.

Teach S10
By Patsy Sylvester on 10/23/05 11:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love my truck! It has been dependable as well as reliable! It is everything I need for my long drive to work, as well as hauling grain for my horses. The 4 door S10 is very handy for all my teaching supplies as well as my grandkids on the weekend.