Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

good luck with this truck
By judyh66

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This truck was a money pit. Check engine light tortured me daily. I spent so much money (thousands) of dollars trying to get rid of this light. Then the abs light and brake light came on and lit up my dash for 3 yrs. Nobody could fix it. They would turn off the light with their machines and I would drive around the block and theres the lights right back on. After 18k I traded it in for 4k and just got the nightmare out of my life. Will never buy another one.

I loved the look

Proud of my S10
By Nebby58

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this S10 recently. This is my first car and I am very pleased so far. I was one of those teenagers that thought they wanted a really exotic car like a Mitsubishi eclipse. If you are shopping for a first car definitely look at these. There are tons of them around and you can get a great deal on them.

Very fun to drive

5th S-10
By Dale

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Like the crew-cab. good towing vehicle. I tow my 20 ft car hauler and 2800 lb race truck no problems. Once thing that helps this truck out with any cooling issues and power loss is to purchase a complete cooling fan system for a 98-02 camaro or firebird and install. take the belt driven fan clutch system off and drop the fans in and by an aftermarket thermostat controls. My works fine and I've gained several hp doing so. This truck has 352,222 miles on it and it still runs good. no internal work to engine at all or really any other work done besides maintenance. She getting a little weak now but she's been run really hard. Driving till she dies

crew cab, 4 wheel drive, still a nice interior design

It's as loyal as a good dog
By Happy with mine

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my S10 4x4 Crew Cab with 25K, and now have over 80K. One repair in that entire time - front ball joints. Now, I did not keep them greased, so I cannot entirely blame Chevy, although I understand these are a weak point. Other than that, no problems at all.

Durable, reasonable fuel economy vs. power, 4x4 takes me through anything (18" of snow didn't even make it work hard), good power for trailer work. Decent ride, especially considering it's a 4x4 truck. Easy to perform maintenance (fluids, brakes, etc).

Make mud flaps standard.

Wish they built more
By RIC

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck about 8 months ago and I have hauled rocks, dirt, gravel, all of my stuff from a move, 2 boats, and all the while in the worst snow, ice, and whatever God could throw at you, and it performed like a beauty with 22 mpg at 132,000 miles. Paid $7k for the truck and I have used the 4x4 push button more times than you could shake a stick at. it has a litte cubby behind the rear seat for whatever tools you may need, a sliding rear window, can tow 5200lbs out of an awesome 4.3 6cyl.compared to the Dakota's 3400lbs max for their v6 (wimpy). Do not buy if you need a finesse city truck. I have had no issues yet with the truck. But at 132K what can I say? The thing is "like a rock".

This truck is a meaty truck. I thought that I would have more issues with such a small bed, but I have yet to encounter a time when I needed more bed space. Love push button, all power options, oversized bucket seats, towing power, and pulling power.

I would recomend using synthetic oil after 100k. Helps curb burnt oil, particularly if one wants to tow regularly. Keep tires inflated, will help mileage. K&N air filter is also great for towing