Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

RELIABLE
By ironclad

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Well, what can I say, LOL......I bought this truck back in 2002 as a puddle jumper for commuting back and forth to work. I considered this truck a cheap consumable. I figured that once it died I would buy another. The truck will not die. The truck now has 192000 miles on it and it rattles like a tin can. I haven't treated this truck very well and have done nothing to it but oil changes, brakes when needed and a clutch job at 170000 miles. I don't think the power steering pump even works anymore, but hey it still steers down the road. The 2.2L engine is lacking in power but never fails to start, ever.....darn it, ever.....I've tried to kill it, but it just won't die.....

Favorite Features

My Favorite thing about this truck is that it gets me to work every day. I have put very little money into the truck and treat it poorly and it just won't die.......I change the oil in it myself, but other than that I have never taken it to the dealer for scheduled maintenance checks. I did do a tune up once! The check engine light came on at around 80000 and I ignored it, I think the truck gave up and the light went off on it's own and still it won't just die. Now I'm thinking, you know, this truck has treated me well over the last 12 years and I probably should start treating it better. It has grown on me.

Suggested Improvements

As far as "suggested improvements", well I don't know. Better door hinges I guess. The door hinges are now so bad on this truck that when it rains, the inside door panels get wet. I have to slam the drivers side door to get it to close. I figure the door will fall off one of these days. I cannot complain too much though because I've treated this truck poorly and refused to spend money on it and it just won't die. After 12 long years of driving this thing, I look at the truck and think about burying it in the back yard, you know......If it EVER dies......It's been a great truck :)

Great truck
By brandon

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Simply put you can't beat an S-10. They will take anything you can throw at them. Everything I have asked this truck to do it has. During week drove it back and forth to college and then to work all week and on weekend I do everything from service coal truck I haul big tireds, usally more that one 50 gallon drum and drove back on strip jobs where most people would never dream of taking a 2-drive. Not saying I didn't get stuck sometimes, and at same as time would take home from doing that wash it up and take out to bar. Even in winter went most people park their 2 wheeldrive I didn't. I would just throw 200 250 pounds in the back. Old 4.3 would just idle its way around. Sometime I had spend my way out

Favorite Features

The fact it never let me down no matter what I would throw at it

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

Mixed Feelings
By Gordon

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new vehicle and I have mixed feelings. It HAS lasted almost five years straight. I have driven it repeatedly off road and pulled little bush stumps with it. On the OTHER hand, with less than 1000 miles on it a coolant leak developed behind the dash, turning that new car smell into that rotting corpse smell. It's also extremely underpowered. I have actually considered turning off the A/C when merging onto a fast highway. And I have to replace a blown A/C fuse about twice a year. As it nears 90K miles, most of the engine seals are leaking. In the end, it is just what I paid for: a cheap little truck that will take care of you if you take care of it.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission is good for getting unstuck. A/C is critical in Georgia.

Suggested Improvements

Had to buy a toolbox for my gear. Could be wider to fit that third passenger in without hitting the gearshift.

No complaints here
By MB

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Personally, I have not had any issues with the truck other than the original battery leaking out acid from the positive terminal after 6 years of use. I never drive off road, and do not push it into 4WD situations, since I know this little 2WD would get stuck. I still have two of the 4 original tires with some tread left. I have taken it easy on the transmission and only rarely haul something heavy in the bed. Maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones, but by not abusing this truck and keeping it maintained it has given me no problems and has been amazingly reliable.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Comfy bench seats. Quiet ride. Reliable, if you don't need it to be a large 4WD truck.

Suggested Improvements

None really. It has no power at all, but honestly, it has probably kept me out of speeding tickets and accidents since it has forced me to not be one of those people who zip in and out of traffic because their car is peppy. Would be nice if there was some room behing the seat.

SMOOTH RUNNING
By JOHN

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great little pickup for light hauling. Drives smooth & straight with excellent brakes. Manual transmission is fine. My 4 cyl gets 23 mpg. I do have trouble with the emmision pump (so the computer says) system but it does not effect the running of the unit.

Favorite Features

Easy to get into with lots of head room. Running gear is smooth and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Make it easy to read what is wrong with the truck when the service engine light comes on. Should have a read out system on board.