2001 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
Don't Believe Published MPG
By beachguy46 on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Chevy S-10 is a great looking truck. Mine is painted the 2001 version of a midnight metallic blue and it is really sharp. I have the extended cab version and its very comfortable for a small vehicle. Visibility is great, and parking is easy. Great stereo and CD player. A big disappointment is the low performance of the 4 cyl. engine and the very disappointing miles per gallon. I drive the truck very conservatively yet can only get about 17 mpg. in combined highway and city driving. Not very good for a vehicle with a 4 cylinder low performance engine. I would recommend the 6 cyl. version of this truck. Since the same body style was made for many years, spare parts are readily available.

S10...I wish they still made them
By numyar on 09/05/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have very few problems with this truck. I have the 4.3L which has plenty of power. Like every GM product I've owned, you can't beat the powertrain! I get about 22 to 24 on the highway, can't complain about that. (I'm no light foot). I have the sport pack, fatty tires, sport suspension, custom wheels, it still turns heads! The only complaints I have are: 3rd door handle-I've broken 3,not replacing it again! 3rd door/driver door rattle bad together...really bad! The CD player does whatever it wants to. It might play the disk or spit it out for no reason or just keep trying to read it and then spit it out. I still love the truck and would buy another...keep the Colorado!

Good luck?
By Natrona on 07/09/08 09:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I had wanted an S-10 6 years prior to finally buying one. I couldn't drive stick at the time, but bought the 5 speed anyway & now can't imagine driving automatic! I've said this 1000 times, I love my truck. I get about 22 mpg on hghwy/ 20 city so it's not bad but could be much better. Biggest complaint is I've had to replace the 3rd door handle four times. Otherwise, it's very comfortable, handles well & has more peep to it than most 4 cylniders. I like the extra room the extended cab offers & the jumper seat has proved useful. The bed is short, especially with the box but still enough room to move my friends! Never had a break down or any major problems. 6 years later, I still love my truck

A Truck Built With Problems
By Bill on 05/27/08 13:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this truck for a little over six years now and I have been very disappointed with the quality of construction on this vehicle. There have been constant brake issues, the ABS system went out prematurely, the third door latch broke, the front bearings wore ouot, the idler arm went bad- all in under seventy thousand miles. Not what I would call a well built vehicle and it makes me sure that I will never buy a GM product again.

2001 chevy s-10 2.2 j. motor
By jessie fritz on 11/28/07 12:02 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The ride quality is not very good ,needs more power for such a heavy truck with an automatic 4 banger (120hp isn't enough).even with a 4 cyl. it still gets horrible gas mileage. (15mpg)I like the styling though, wish i had a 4.3 with the zq8 suspension. the ball joints go bad and my door hinge pins need replaced and at 96k miles it already has seal leaks all over the engine. I like the style of truck. A good truck for the money i guess.

Chevy
By Josue Schmitt on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Its a good and excellent vehicle!!!

2001 Chevy S-10
By GEOBARI on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Ride and feel is Fantastic. Quieter Than you would expect from a small truck. Tight steering and smooth ride. The 4cyl 120 hp engine leaves a lot to be desired when competing with the big boys for highway space, but does pretty well. Fuel mileage is acceptable. On my last trip I got around 26 mpg.

2001 CHEVY S10 BASE MODEL EXT. CAB 4 CYL
By GEO on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

RIDE IS SMOOTH AND QUIET. 2.2 VORTEC IS PRETTY GOOD @ 120 BHP. HANDLING IS SURPRISINGLY GOOD. TAKES CORNERS VERY WELL.

2001 CHEVY S10 BASE MODEL EXT. CAB 4 CYL
By Geo on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet S10 Ext Cab
By Keith Kenyon on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is the worst new vehicle I have ever purchased. During my 3 month and 1700 mile ownership, I have had the following issues, replaced rear light harness, replaced rear end carrier bearing, replaced rear springs, replaced engine/transmission mount (3X), repainted both rocker panels, and numerous squeaks and rattles. I have had this vehicle in for service six seperate times and the truck has less than 1800 miles.